RC poster

New Lipo Slash battery charger

Hi everyone

Very new to the Traxxas RC world. I purchased about 2 months ago a Slash 4X4 Lipo truck. I've done i think 4-5 charges now. Normally i plug the charger in and wait for green lights, plug battery in and 2 green lights turn red. The last time i plugged it in the lights went out and a smell straight away hit me. I unplugged the battery, but not sure if this has happen to anyone else

I've emailed support a week ago and this morning with no responses yet

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Are you in a country where it makes sense to call them? I have gotten better responses via phone call than email every time I have needed help with something.

More than likely it was the charger and not the battery... one way to check is to see what the cell voltages are. Do you have a multimeter or a cell checker?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in Australia and can't find any contact details for here.

I'll get an electrician here to check tomorrow. Do you know what it should be or will he know. It's a 4200 2cell. I have no idea on these new batteries.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    It should be anywhere from 3.4-4.2 volts per cell and be reasonably the same from one cell to the next.

Contacting Traxxas might be a waste for you anyway... their warranty value does not extend past the borders of the USA very far due to shipping costs. It may be time to search for a new charger... I have seen a few reports of the simple balance charger failing now.

Here is a diagram for checking on cell voltages without a cell checker:

Just adjust it for your cell count.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.