RC Racer

puffed battery question

So I purchased to 2 slashes they came with 2 3 cell lipos. These batteries have been charged on a non balanced charged. Obviously they need to be tossed asap and they will. One is very slightly puffed.

But here is a question. I ordered replacements but in the meantime if I were to charge the battery outside in a lipo safe bag. and keep them outside. Is there a real risk? My thought is to use them for a few days an keep them outside. if they explode while changing they will be outside away from the house on a cement slab.

This okay?

RC Qualifier
    Lipo's don't really explode, when they rupture they spit out liquid fire for quite some time. I had a small 500mah lipo for a heli rupture and it took about 3min for it to stop, I can only imagine how long a large battery would burn. Even if they were charged successfully in a safe place, I would be concerned about catching my truck on fire when using them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Mark nailed it.
    Charging is not the only time they can let go. I wouldn't use them... I'd discharge them completely and dispose of them. NOT worth the risk.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Balance function is your friend.

RC Champion
    Batteries don't puff because they're out of balance, there's a cause somewhere that will help your next packs and your wallet.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    That depends on how far out of balance they are.
    Most of the early issues with LiPo was due to unbalanced cells. They would drift, getting further and further apart during both use and charging. You see, when just pack voltage is looked at one cell can be severely over charged to make up for the cell that is low in order to reach proper pack voltage. The same is true during use because LVD equipped ESC's only check pack voltage.... allowing the low cell to get dangerously low because the high pack is making up the most of the voltage. This process severely stresses out each cell in the pack, causing them to puff.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I also had one puff from leaving it in my car on a hot summer day.

RC Champion
    post up the details of the esc/lipo and charger and what settings you use.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC Qualifier
    These should be Traxxas batteries correct? If so send them back to Traxxas and they should replace them free of charge. Minus shipping costs.