Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

New Stampede Owner [RC Newbie]

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a brand new Stampede 4X4 VXL last weekend. I am loving this thing and so is my son. I bought a 5800 2S LiPo and a charger. I was looking for longer run times when I chose that battery. So far much better than the stock one.

I am going to be upgrading my truck. It's already starting to show some wear in the driveshafts. I am looking at the Tekno products. Does anyone have a link for both the front and back Tekno systems?

Also, does anyone know of a good source for instructions on how to replace parts on this thing? I am new to RC and I need some direction on how to change out parts. I found some videos on YouTube for a few things and that is excellent. I was just wondering if there is a website or something I should know about.

I apologize in advance for my ignorance but this is a fun hobby for me and my son and I just need a little direction to get started. I'm sure I will have more posts in the future as the upgrades get started.

RC Enthusiast
    Does anyone know where you can buy something like this:

I saw this in one of the posts on this forum. I believe it may be custom but I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy something similar. My body is taking some abuse and I am trying to minimize the damage. I'll need to buy a new body soon and I would like to have something in place to help when I get the new one.
    Last edited by Kryptik.Kode; 10-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hi there, Kryptik.Kode. Welcome to the forum and the most rewarding addiction there is.
    No need to apologize - there is no such thing as a stupid question on this forum.

Now to your questions:
    Tekno's are a very good choice, and here are the links to the Tekno driveshafts for the Stampede 4x4:
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6852x...-4x4-rear-6mm/
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6851x...4x4-front-6mm/

If you plan to widen the stance of your truck (to make it more stable cornering), the Pro-Line ProTrac supension kit is a very good option: http://prolineracing.com/performance...t-stampede4x4/
    In this case you would need longer dogbones on your Tekno shafts, and these are the correct kits to buy:
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6852p...oline-protrac/
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6851p...oline-protrac/

Also, you should order the aluminium bearing adapter for the slipper clutch assembly (Traxxas part #6893X). The stock one is plastic and will melt sooner or later. It's a very cheap and necessary upgrade.

As for working on the truck: It's very easy. Only four screws to remove the rear assembly and five screws to remove the front. Use the exploded views in the parts list, and you should be just fine. But don't hessitate to ask for help on the forum.
    Also you should get good tools. Good tools are half the job, so don't try to save money on that end.

Almost forgot: To reinforce your body, check out this video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTe-m...C1DDA&index=26
    Last edited by Viking; 10-04-2013 at 10:09 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    tekno guy here, i have them on both my Rally GT8 and P4de. I bought my M6 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekno-RC-M6-...item565a968220

and if you want to go 17mm later on I suggest stay with tekno too http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekno-RC-TKR...item565ab172be

Welcome to the addiction.........
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Enthusiast
    These trucks are a blast! My boys and I have had a lot of fun bashing and working on them. I had found some videos that I found quite helpful. I saved a playlist list of a complete build of one from someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...4mrsMzwPDBJYng

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryptik.Kode View Post
    That is the battery hold down from a 2wd stampede.rustler,bandit etc.. heres a link to it
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    traxxas part 3727 or 3627x
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 10-04-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post
    That is the battery hold down from a 2wd stampede.rustler,bandit etc.. heres a link to it
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
    traxxas part 3727 or 3627x
    Correct ID, I believe. The link isn't working for me, so here's another:
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=5963
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Hey Kryptik! You have come to the right spot man! Everything that you are looking for can be found here through the search function. The forum is active and friendly. We are all here to help and share advice. These guys have you off to a good start. I am a fan of Tekno stuff as well, and run the M6 extended drive shafts and Pro Line Pro-Trac. I love it! Welcome to the forums and the addiction!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by warfighter View Post
    Hey Kryptik! You have come to the right spot man! Everything that you are looking for can be found here through the search function. The forum is active and friendly. We are all here to help and share advice. These guys have you off to a good start. I am a fan of Tekno stuff as well, and run the M6 extended drive shafts and Pro Line Pro-Trac. I love it! Welcome to the forums and the addiction!
    I've been following your build warfighter. I must say, excellent work. You are very good at this. Keep it up!

RC Racer
    Ahh, those are kind words man, I appreciate it. All of the credit for my WWPede build goes to the moderators and other members of this community. I simply funded it and enjoyed building it, but it was all of their hard work and trial & error that forged the way for us newbs!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Correct ID, I believe. The link isn't working for me, so here's another:
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=5963
    I just checked this against the hold down on my p2de, and it is not nearly long enough to attach to the rear p4de mounts part 3727 is 2.5" or 57mm center to center.

I measured the pede rear body mount holes on the body and they are 110mm center to center... so the parts that I and ksb linked are not the same as the picture posted above by kryptik.

Unless im missing something here..

RC Qualifier

I saw this in one of the posts on this forum. I believe it may be custom but I was wondering if anyone knows where to buy something similar. My body is taking some abuse and I am trying to minimize the damage. I'll need to buy a new body soon and I would like to have something in place to help when I get the new one.
    Yep, its a custom made piece Till proven wrong thats what I'm going with.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Yer it is, made by me! It's made of plastic from a modelling shop, which is quite easy to cut and shape, with traxxas sticker slapped on. Not the strongest thing in the world but it really helped, and with shoo goo / dry wall lining tape on the underneath it did very well. I'll try and make some up and sell 'em cheap just for the fun.

Well i though i had seen that on your pede dude..........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Is there a part number for the Stock Blue Stampede Body? I couldn't find one. I cracked mine on the weekend. The body post went right through the body on the back. I was thinking of buying a Proline body but maybe I could order a stock body for now as a cheap, in-the-meantime solution.

The proline bodies are about the same price and are much stronger than stock and look into the shoe goo and drywall tape mod it will make it even tougher again............peace

RC Enthusiast
    Does anyone have any good recommendations on how to keep sand out of the center driveshaft? I've seen some mods with tape and some people swear by the undertray. I can't find an undertray for a Stampede. I can only find one for the Slash. Can someone post the part number for the Stampede undertray?

RC Qualifier
    I used the 'velcro' mod and have been very happy with it. Whatever it is you need to leave room for some flex and yet try and minimise dirt getting in.

RC Enthusiast
    I snapped a rear driveshaft this past weekend. I ordered some MIP X-Duty for the front [MIP11110] and rear [MIP11109]. I also ordered the MIP Hex Adapter [MIP12140]. Does anyone have any experience with the MIP Hexes? Can someone confirm they will work on the shafts that I ordered?

RC Qualifier
    I snapped a rear driveshaft this past weekend. I ordered some MIP X-Duty for the front [MIP11110] and rear [MIP11109]. I also ordered the MIP Hex Adapter [MIP12140]. Does anyone have any experience with the MIP Hexes? Can someone confirm they will work on the shafts that I ordered?
    Hey, Kryptik!
    Good choice on driveshafts - just follow the assembly instructions closely and you'll be a happy camper.
    One good advice is to clean/degrease all parts and grub screws with some alcohol before applying Loktite, and leave them for 24 hours before use.
    Another good advice is to not use the grub screws #99032 to mount the MIP's to the differential.
    Use a pin which goes through the hole in the diff. axle (the same way as the stock plastic driveshafts are mounted).
    A lot of people use pins from HPI (#86094) or Traxxas (#5145). The Traxxas pins are 2mm longer but can be cut if you want to.

You did not have to order the hexes as they are part of the kits.
    http://miponline.com/store/media/myi...inst-11109.jpg

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Hey, Kryptik!
    Good choice on driveshafts - just follow the assembly instructions closely and you'll be a happy camper.
    One good advice is to clean/degrease all parts and grub screws with some alcohol before applying Loktite, and leave them for 24 hours before use.
    Another good advice is to not use the grub screws #99032 to mount the MIP's to the differential.
    Use a pin which goes through the hole in the diff. axle (the same way as the stock plastic driveshafts are mounted).
    A lot of people use pins from HPI (#86094) or Traxxas (#5145). The Traxxas pins are 2mm longer but can be cut if you want to.

You did not have to order the hexes as they are part of the kits.
    I didn't think they were in the kit based on these pictures from the MIP website.

11109 Rear

11110 Front

Can someone please confirm?

RC Qualifier
    Hi, again!
    Those are pictures of the old style pinned axles - they are not manufactured anymore. Unfortunately, the pictures of the old style axles can be found anywhere (also at the MIP pages ), but MIP changed the design because the axles had a tendency to break at the pin holes.

The correct ones are shown on the exploded views:
    http://miponline.com/store/media/myi...inst-11110.jpg

Well 2 and 1/2 years and the only thing that failed was the coupling pin part number mip 1147 and no wear at the pin holes still best mod so far........peace

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Hi, again!
    Those are pictures of the old style pinned axles - they are not manufactured anymore. Unfortunately, the pictures of the old style axles can be found anywhere (also at the MIP pages ), but MIP changed the design because the axles had a tendency to break at the pin holes.

The correct ones are shown on the exploded views:
    http://miponline.com/store/media/myi...inst-11110.jpg
    Thanks for the update. Has anyone had problems with the pins falling out? I've read a few forums where people had to use shrink tube to keep the pins in? Is this just a result of a bad install or is this is a necessary mod?

RC Qualifier
    I've been running 8 mip new and older version for over a year. Never had issues with any part of the MIPS. I did however listen to suggestions on this forum how to clean all the threads and grubs before using locktite. Been a solid and reliable upgrade to this date.

Sent from Oser world

My pin only snapped because of 2 1/2 years of pure abuse and about 5 dollars to fix apart from that bulletproof and take the guys advise on how to put them together and use red threadlock and dry for 24 hours dude...........peace

RC Enthusiast
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I like having feedback from people with experience specific to the product.

That's what we are here for dude and as times goes by you will pick it up and help others out yourself......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Hey guys. I took my P4de out last night and there is a noise coming from it. I believe it's the center driveshaft being loose and rattling around when I drive it. It there something I can do about this? Should I get the Tekno Big Bone?

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys. I took my P4de out last night and there is a noise coming from it. I believe it's the center driveshaft being loose and rattling around when I drive it. It there something I can do about this? Should I get the Tekno Big Bone?
    Just today I had an idea that may make the center shaft a little quieter. Maybe a little dab of silicone caulk in each end? It wouldn't be permanent, and should dampen the shaft a little. It will still give under hard impacts. Any thoughts?

RC Qualifier
    I use a small rubber o-ring only on the rear.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

Check the bearings as well dude and your bearing adapter and if you have not upgrade to aluminium its worth doing asap part number 6893x and the guys have some awesome ideas for keeping it quite......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Good ideas. Does anyone know if the Tekno has the same rattling sound?

RC Qualifier
    I have put small o-rings onto the splined hubs front and rear. Since then I've had no noise from the center driveshaft.
    Can't tell you if the Tekno Big Bone shaft rattles, but they have o-rings on the dogbones which centers the dogbone inside the outdrives. My guess is that this will keep it fairly quiet.
    http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr6755-.../#!prettyPhoto

I second Spencer about checking your bearings and adding the alu adapter #6893X.

RC Enthusiast
    I already installed the aluminium adapter. That was my first upgrade. What bearings should I be checking?

RC Qualifier
    I already installed the aluminium adapter. That was my first upgrade. What bearings should I be checking?
    In my experience the two bearings supporting the slipper clutch assembly should be checked regularly (or replaced with higher quality bearings, ie. ceramics).
    Especially the bearing on the front end of the slipper assembly is vulnerable for dust and sand entering the central driveshaft tunnel. I did the velcro mod at the front end of the shaft - it works!

I use a ceramic bearing on my traxxas aluminium motor mount and its holding up sweet so far and it did not cost much off ebay and the Velcro mod as Viking said will save down time........peace

RC Enthusiast
    I added some significant upgrades to my P4de this weekend. Here is a list:

- Traxxas Aluminum Slipper Shaft Bearing Adapter [TRX6893X]
    - Traxxas Aluminum Steering Block Set [TRX6837X]
    - Traxxas Aluminum Caster Block Set [TRX6832X]
    - Traxxas Aluminum Ultra Shock Cap [TRX3767A]
    - Traxxas Aluminum Rear Stub Axle Carriers [TRX1952X]
    - Traxxas Aluminum 4mm Flanged Serrated Nuts [TRX1747R]
    - Traxxas Heavy Duty Body Clips [TRX3934]
    - RPM Front Bumper [RPM81042]
    - MIP X-Duty Front CVD Kit [MIP11110]
    - MIP X-Duty Rear CVD Kit [MIP11109]
    - T-Bone Racing Servo Guard Black [62124]
    - JConcepts Body Lowering Kit [JCO2083]
    - Pro-Line Trenchers Tires 2.8" Mounted On Desperado Wheels [PRO117013]
    - Pro-Line Ford SVT Raptor Body [PRO334800]

I also dyed the chassis this weekend. Here are a few pictures of my project. Sorry some of the pictures are a little blurry because the camera on my iPhone 4 is not great.

RC Enthusiast
    I also wanted to mention that I have some wheel wobble on my P4de since I installed the MIPs. I took the wheels off and noticed the MIPs are wobbling even with the wheels off. Have anyone ever had this issue? So I need to rebuild them? I hope not because I have some RED on the screws that hold the pins.

They will have a bit more play than stock mine doWhy did you get electric rear and not fronts all round dude?........peace