RC Qualifier

New MIP Race Duty CVD™ Steel Kits

Hi, guys!

Just noticed that MIP has launched new versions of their Race Duty Aluminium drive shaft kits, and this time with steel dogbones which should be a lot stronger than the aluminium ones. And there is no limitation to only 2S anymore.
    MIP kit numbers are #13270 (rear) and #13260 (front).
    Check these links:
    http://miponline.com/store/mip13270.html
    http://miponline.com/store/mip13260.html
    As far as I can tell, the only difference to the X-Duty kits are the steel dogbones and the differential outdrives. So it should not be too expensive to go from the X-Duty's to the new dogbone type.

RC Racer
    They appear to be a solid product, but they are very similar to Tekno M6s with the cup on the output shaft instead of the stub axle. I do like the design of the drive pins though.

This is interesting about the warranty being voided if you use the inner shock mounts:

http://miponline.com/store/media/myi...st-13260p2.jpg

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by warfighter View Post
    They appear to be a solid product, but they are very similar to Tekno M6s with the cup on the output shaft instead of the stub axle. I do like the design of the drive pins though.

This is interesting about the warranty being voided if you use the inner shock mounts:

http://miponline.com/store/media/myi...st-13260p2.jpg
    That is interesting.. I have run my m6's in those settings many times for higher ground clearance, etc...... wonder if its bad on the teknos aswell..?ż i cant find any info on it anyway..

These look sick and strong guys I think I will one day get a set when my old pin style ones give up the ghost.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Those sure do like nice. Too bad they still cost a ton.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Yeah but sometimes you pay for quality and they will not pop out like tekno can..........peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Yeah but sometimes you pay for quality and they will not pop out like tekno can..........peace
    Why do you think they won't pop out? I mean no disrespect, just curious..
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

I thought they were pinned at the drive outputs but they are not so these could pop out as well I think I will stick with their heavier design.thanks for that shaky I need to look before I open my mouth......peace

RC Qualifier
    I thought they were pinned at the drive outputs but they are not so these could pop out as well I think I will stick with their heavier design.thanks for that shaky I need to look before I open my mouth......peace
    Spenn, I like your thinking, why couldn't they pin it in?
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

It would be awesome if they could but when my pinned x dutys give up I may go for teknos or the new mips depending on reviews off you guys and other forums ......peace

RC Qualifier
    I'm sure these new MIP are the real deal, and will hold-up to the task at hand.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

I hope so because next year I am go to get the tenshock X802 2400kv and run just 3s and 4s ......peace

RC Enthusiast
    Do not buy the steel raceduty cvds . They bend and sheer off . Stick with the x duty because they are are not any stronger that the aluminum ones. I don't think I got 20 packs out of them.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblkblazin View Post
    Do not buy the steel raceduty cvds . They bend and sheer off . Stick with the x duty because they are are not any stronger that the aluminum ones. I don't think I got 20 packs out of them.
    Thank you for the feedback.
    Lately I've seen several reports with the same conclusion - too bad! Seems like the thinner section on the dogbones (towards the diff outdrives) is a week spot on these shafts. I wonder why MIP designed them like that (Tekno dogbones have the same thickness all the way).

RC Qualifier
    I have mip race duty for a 2wd slash on the rear of my Pede and haven't had no bends or nothing. I jump it all the time and run 3s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pede4x4owner View Post
    I have mip race duty for a 2wd slash on the rear of my Pede and haven't had no bends or nothing. I jump it all the time and run 3s
    Good to know, thank you!
    Maybe MIP have had a bad batch? I'm sure MIP's excellent customer service will sort it out, and if there is a problem with the design they'll modify it.

RC Champion
    I can report roughly the same results with the steel race duties after using them for a while. They started popping out regularly on me in a slash 4x4 LCG. Also, the shaft would bend at the thinner section (which is there to add additional clearance at the cup for suspension travel). I can bend it back, but it's quite annoying.

The pin for attaching the cups to the diff is somewhat small. Once you get it loctite'd or torqued enough to where it won't back out while driving, it can be prone to stripping out if you're not careful.

Once installed, if the wheels are at full droop, regardless of where the shocks are mounted, the shafts bind a bit at the diff cups. This did not go away for me after breaking them in like I though it would. The diff cups, however, did get looser to the point of being sloppy, even with the pins tightened properly.

MIP's instructions say to use only the outer three shock mounting holes on the a-arms all around with the race duties. I had success, however, running the 4th holes up front. It didn't cause any addition problems.

Overall, I'd still take them over the stock shafts. And, they held up to 4s bashing just fine. But, the pop-outs and shaft bends were quite annoying. The x-duties exhibit none of these issues. They're rock solid, and worth the extra weight.

RC Champion

Oh, and on the x-duties, they're now including set screws for the outdrives that have a small pin section for going into the hole on the diff output shaft. The problem is, they use a m3 set screw with a 1.5mm hex drive. Normally these would have a 2mm drive. The 1.5's are much easier to strip if you're not using quality drivers and are very careful. I still prefer the emaxx or hpi pins (86094), which have a 2mm drive. They work and hold up much better.

It's making my head spin thinking of what to go for next when my old pinned mips bite the dust guy's......peace

RC Qualifier
    It's making my head spin thinking of what to go for next when my old pinned mips bite the dust guy's......peace
    I know the feeling - too many options... (Not really, Traxxas, MIP, Tekno - that's it...)
    The X-Duty's have served you well, just by another set the next time! I certainly have no regrets buying the X-Duty's!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    I can report roughly the same results with the steel race duties after using them for a while. They started popping out regularly on me in a slash 4x4 LCG. Also, the shaft would bend at the thinner section (which is there to add additional clearance at the cup for suspension travel). I can bend it back, but it's quite annoying.

Overall, I'd still take them over the stock shafts. And, they held up to 4s bashing just fine. But, the pop-outs and shaft bends were quite annoying. The x-duties exhibit none of these issues. They're rock solid, and worth the extra weight.
    I know the thinner part is for clearance, but why didn't they just make cups with larger diameters?

And yep, the X-Duty's can really take a beating!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I know the thinner part is for clearance, but why didn't they just make cups with larger diameters?

And yep, the X-Duty's can really take a beating!
    If they make it with larger cup then it will rub on to your shock tower, the part where your camber link screws on.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion

+1. The two things I think would help the most would be:
    - a outdrive cup that's keyed to the output shaft from the diff, to lessen the cup's play.
    - an extra mm of length on the driveshafts themselves.

There's plenty of room in the back of the cup for a slightly longer shaft. They're on the outer edge as it is. My shafts would only bend when they popped out and got stuck on something. This would likely fix the pop-out and bending.

Hmmm, I may try using a small washer/spacer on the inside of the axle to test this.

Using a washer or spacer could solve it dude nice thinkingbut I am just glad my 3+ years old pinned mips are still in good working order but I hope the race steels have had the gremlins worked out by the time I need replacements.........peace

RC Qualifier
    I'm sure if u send MIP an email they will try to fix the problem especially if a bunch of u send an email
    Is it fast enough? No, no it isn't.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    If they make it with larger cup then it will rub on to your shock tower, the part where your camber link screws on.
    OK, thanks! Haven't seen them in real life yet - didn't know the cups were that big.
    From these pictures it looks like the cups have more than enough clearance to the shock tower....?

http://sackvillerc.files.wordpress.c...1/img_4716.jpg
    http://sackvillerc.files.wordpress.c...8638867604.jpg

RC Champion
    They could make them a bit larger, which would be a plus.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    OK, thanks! Haven't seen them in real life yet - didn't know the cups were that big.
    From these pictures it looks like the cups have more than enough clearance to the shock tower....?

http://sackvillerc.files.wordpress.c...1/img_4716.jpg
    http://sackvillerc.files.wordpress.c...8638867604.jpg
    I've seen one at my LHS but not installed to a truck and judging by that pictures, looks like it can go a bit bigger. I know my Tekno drive cup is maxed out lol.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^That's really not a lot of clearance with the Tekno cups - now I understand your previous comment.

Btw. your antenna tube gave me a good laugh - has to be the shortest I've ever seen...