RC poster

soon to be stampede owner

Hey guys been lurking for a while and decided to join. I'm planning to buy a stapmede to replace my merv I'm selling. Right now i've the the below items in my cart at tower. I plan to only run on 2s. So my questions are how well does the over tray work? I have a dusty motors shroud for my rally and it's ok at keeping out big things but doesn't do much for the fine silt that I've been running it in. I have the heat sink and esc fan figuring that without them things would overheat under the over tray. So I guess are mostly my question is are those worth while or should I be spending money on something else like drive shafts?

Traxxas 1/10 Stampede 4X4 VXL BL 2.4 RTR w/o Batt Red
    Pro-Line Trencher 2.8" Mntd on Desperado Black Wheels F
    Pro-Line Trencher 2.8" All Terrain Mounted Desperado Re
    JConcepts Illuzion Clear Over Tray Stampede 4X4
    Traxxas Aluminum Shock Caps Anodized Blue (4)
    Traxxas Cooling Fan Velineon VXL-3 ESC
    Traxxas Aluminum Heat Sink Velineon 380 Brushless Motor

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    What do you plan on doing with the 380 heat sink?
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    What do you plan on doing with the 380 heat sink?
    oh wow that was a n00b mistake. didn't even pay attention to that. thank's for that catch.

RC Qualifier
    Good man, the Stampede is great!

I don't have an overtray so can't comment, but i do recommend stronger axels. I run MIP's on the rear and have found them to be very reliable using HPI screws and thread locker. My front stockers are still lasting well. A few other upgrades were needed in time, but you've got enough to have lots of fun for now!

I'm not quite sure about the wheels you quote above. I thought they would have the same description as they run the same wheels front and back on 4x4 VXL!? Not sure, just a thought.

RC Enthusiast
    I am curious to find out how you like your JConcepts Illuzion Clear Over Tray ( I have one waiting to be installed). I would use more velcro than the product comes with to help seal it better for dust. MIP driveshafts are great if you can afford them.

RC poster
    I'm actually pretty confused by the wheels as well I thought they were the same too. I was thinking about techno drive shafts in the future since they're cheaper. I haven't fully looked into the major differences between the two.

As far as seeing how i'll like the over tray it'll probably still be a while. Hopefully I'll get money for the merv later this week. I'll place my order after that but the stampede without battery is still on back order (I already have to spc 2s's and have no need for a nickle metal).

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The fronts are worthless to you. They have no hex to drive the wheel.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The fronts are worthless to you. They have no hex to drive the wheel.
    again thanks

RC Champion
    I am not a huge fan of overtrays since heat can not dissipate and the VXL-3s combo tends to get hot anyway.
    By the way there is nothing that have to be protected in the chassis.

Trenchers are a good choice.

You really don't need any upgrades as long as you stay on 2s.

If you decide to go 3s you have to replace the VXL-3s combo and the drive shafts.

But start with the stock Stampede and upgrade litte by little

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    I am not a huge fan of overtrays since heat can not dissipate and the VXL-3s combo tends to get hot anyway.
    By the way there is nothing that have to be protected in the chassis.

Trenchers are a good choice.

You really don't need any upgrades as long as you stay on 2s.

If you decide to go 3s you have to replace the VXL-3s combo and the drive shafts.

But start with the stock Stampede and upgrade litte by little
    I was thinking about the over tray because I'm lazy and don't like cleaning :\. i hoped a heat sink and fan would able to cool things back down.

RC Qualifier
    Ya i would have to agree.. Especially after the initial expense of the truck itself. Upgrade as it breaks, Just plan to upgrade it to the better components. When It breaks. Fix it once with a quality part/upgrade. Mip/tekno/RPM/etc.. and be done with it.

A way to monitor your temps is crucial to the longevity of your motor and esc. A couple things to consider right off the bat are:

Alum bearing adapter 6893x
    Traxxas 12mm Aluminum Hex's 1654x
    RPM Wide Front Bumper 81042 or T-bone Bumper tbr62123

My rpm bumper has saved me more times then I can count. But I want to try the t-bone as it looks to offer more protection, and there is a combo with a servo guard that is BOSS.. Guys say it keeps out alot of the junk from getting in the driveshaft hole. TBR62125

Those three things are cheap and very worthwhile upgrades IMO.

Good choice on the P4DE btw you will be ear to ear grinnin first time you get to punish that thing. lol
    On 2S you might get away with the stock shafts for quite a long time. I didnt start breaking any until 3S
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 10-02-2013 at 02:59 PM.

RC Champion
    I ran my Stampede for the first year only on 2s without any breakage, then in wanted more - got trenchers and mips at the rear for 3s.

Third run on 3s the front stub axle broke while landing a backflip (too much wheel spin) -> upgraded to mips in the front too
    next run esc overheated and went up in smoke because i didn't had a fan installed -> upgraded to Hobbywing WP-SC8
    next run magnets of the velineon detached from shaft -> upgraded to castle 1415 2400kv motor

now i am pretty happy with this setup - it's a beast and motor temps stay in range

RC poster

Welcome to the forum and addiction dude.The proline part number you for all four corners is 1170-12 and don't forget to order the traxxas aluminium bearing adapter part number 6893x and get a good fan for the motor.thats really all you need if you are going to run only 2s but if you are going to run a tight slipper look into rear steel driveshafts but apart from that enjoy the coolest small monster truck out there........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    thanks for the help guys. i'm back to just the truck, shock caps, and i'll add in the aluminum bearing as well.

Good man just enjoy it and only replace what gets busted up...........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    does anyone know if the rally has that same bearing?

RC Racer
    Welcome! Always nice to see more people join the addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by jknakes View Post
    does anyone know if the rally has that same bearing?
    Yes, the 1/10 scale Rally has the same bearing adapter, but not stock. The aluminium bearing adapter (part #6893X) is optional, but it is a "must have".