RC Racer

What's the best gearing?

I just picked up a pede 4x4 VXL for a smoking deal. Everything is stock and will be running 2cell in it. It has a 11 tooth pinion in it right now. Should I go larger for running the streets and back yard bashing?

Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The only way to tell what the best gearing is for you is with a thermometer.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gb77 View Post
    Should I go larger for running the streets and back yard bashing?
    Really depends on what you want to do. I'd go somewhere in between to enjoy both. But, Jimmy hit the nail on the head, gear it so that your motor is less than 160deg/F and you'll be fine.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Less than 160°F with the Velineon Motor without a Fan installed is very optimistic.

RC Enthusiast
    Just like they said above. Gearing depends on too many factors. Your best gearing is the one that gives you 160* or less when you temp gauge the motor at the end of your battery.
    P4de
    I'm behind you because...I'm lapping you.

RC Qualifier
    I would imagine that a 13-14T pinion would acheive that result. I run my slash VXL on 2S alot with 14/54 no fans at all and it rarely gets up over 110. but its pretty much always raining when i drive it and water cooling works extremely well lol. The overall lifespan of your ESC and Motor is directly related to your ability to monitor their temperatures and adjust your driving style accordingly...
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 10-02-2013 at 02:35 PM.

As the guys said its all about the temps and get the vxl esc fan and a good fan for the motor as well.One thing to look at is the aluminium bearing adapter part number 6893x because the stock plastic one will melt or go out of shape after a few monthsAnd remember heavy braking and acceleration makes lots of extra heat..............peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    I have the stock pinion set up on mine. Running 2s with a motor and an esc fan. However ever since I installed trenchers, I've been overheating. I think I need a different pinion set up.
    I play til something breaks

RC Champion
    Try 9t pinion.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxxray757 View Post
    I have the stock pinion set up on mine. Running 2s with a motor and an esc fan. However ever since I installed trenchers, I've been overheating. I think I need a different pinion set up.
    Im also running the trenchers now. I mostly run 2s but often 3s. Im running 11/54 and have since been hitting thermal shutdown on the ESC (on 3s). Next trip to the LHS will include a fan or 2
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Champion
    Get a fan asap. My esc was fried after the 5th run on 3s without fan.

Just keep an eye temps and have lots of fun dudethats what its all about.............peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!