RC poster

new rig running hot? + other newbie questions.

got a mini summit the other day, first few tumbles I had the tip of the antena cable and the blue straw rip out within the first few mins. didn't even notice as I kept trying to get the hang of it... as I started going farther I noticed its range was really short. this is when I found that problem.

called support yesterday after work... was told yea there's nothing you can do to fix that, will send you out another reciver to get you going again. I thought great. after some searching I read that some people claimed you could restrip the antenna 30mm and get a better range again, other people said no it would mess things up. figure what the heck a new one is on its way and gave it a shot. tried it today after work... range went from 15-20 yards to 50-60 yards. don't know the normal range for these things but it's much better then it was. what would be the normal range on one of these things?

now what has me worried is after about 15 mins of running I picked it up and almost everything was hot. the ESC moter moter plate tranny and battery all felt hot... not to hot to touch but its the first time feeling heat coming off anything other then a motor in my axial scaler. is this normal? should I worry? does it have to do with my makeshift fix to the antenna? is it common to need to gear down these things? I'm running traxxas 2200 2s lipos. was thinking of picking up some of the 3s ones and running them in parallel, but if it gets this hot this fast on 2s I'm not sure.

also the independent differentials annoy the heck out of me lol. this is my first RC with them and not being able to get the rig to roll over on its own is a new experience for me. I'm thinking about putting the traxxas lockers in the rear atleast and giving that a shot. I don;t want to kill the steering completely. would adding these add extra wear to parts that I would need to watch and sooner or later upgrade?

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 10-01-2013 at 06:17 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Should you worry? That depends on how hot they were... fingers are not very good thermometers, but non-contact thermometers are; and they are available for less than $15 at Harbor Freight.

It is normal, though, for the motor/ESC/NiMH battery to be quite warm to the touch, but a LiPo should not be over 100-120F.

The length of your antenna has no correlation to the heat of your power system.

It is common to have to gear appropriately to your driving style and terrain.

Lockers will add lots of wear and totally kill a tight turning radius. They will also add stress to the axles making them more prone to break.

Normal 2.4 range is usually out of sight... further than I would comfortably drive a 16th.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    thanks for the quick reply.

I'll look into the temp gauge. I've had my motor in my axial get alot hotter then anything got today with out problems, I've just never had non moving parts get hot before that that scared me. I'll have to look into a set of pinions so I can gear down and find one I like.

I bought this because I wanted something that could go fast. most of my driving so far has been slower then what it could go. for the most part it goes faster then I want. today it was just 10-15 mins of speed runs up and down the parking lot to see how fast it could go and to see what kinda range it had.

I'll also avoid the lockers for now. I figured if I just did the rear I wouldn't lose as much steering. but I'm not looking to be replacing parts just yet. just hate walking after it to flip it when I've gotten good at getting my crawlers to roll over on they own lol.

RC poster
    ok after getting a parallel splitter and running the batterys in pairs the batterys stopped getting hot. go back to running them single and they get hot again. figure the car trys to draw more power then 1 battery can provide and it was traxxas way of getting just alittle more out of em designing the car and the batterys to run in pairs. was my plan anyways so I'm good with that.

I've tried it on 3s for maybe 20-30 mins, though that time was split into 3 runs because of motor and esc heat. 3s turns this car from a really fast almost impossable to control car into a uncontrolled rocket lol it looked like it was skimming across the top of the grass most of the time and not even touching the ground. nothing broke... despite some horrific looking cartwheels and flips. on 3s this thing will still pull a wheelie mid run if you pull the trigger to fast. anyways, I'm not afraid of the kids playing with it on 2s now, specially in training mode.

I would like to get rid of the overheating problem. as it seamed to overheat this weekend just puttzing around in the drive way with it, never getting close to full throttle. I believe I read it was a 15T pinion, would going to 11 solve the over heating problem? would it a drop like that really kill the speed or just cut it down some?

for use this thing is mostly going to be a go fast basher. mostly used in the yard(grass fairly flat but quite afew little bumps and divits. you cant see em by eye but you can see the car react to them), next biggest use would be at the campground on the gravel roads and sites. it will rarely see true roads or sidewalks.
    Last edited by Gravebane525; 10-07-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Power systems are not efficient at any speed but full throttle... so pulling the trigger less than full throttle will heat it up more. Gearing down will help heat issues but how far to gear down can only be solved by you and the use of a thermometer.

Here is a speed calculator.
    It will help you determine how much you will loose... it is not 100% perfect as it does not figure in drag and such, but it will get you close to the real world numbers.

Running packs in parallel doubles the amount of available amperage... this is why the batteries were cooler after a run in parallel than they are after a run by themselves.

RC poster
    thanks for that calc... looked into it a bit more and it seams 16 is stock. dropping to 12 loses a good bit of speed (think I lose more speed them my crawler can reach lol). I think I'ma pick up a 14 and a 12 and see what feels best.

is there any other ways to deal with heat issues? the ESC getting warm is still freaking me out. i've had motors get hot on the crawlers but never the control.

How warm are they?
    As stated in post #2, fingers make for very poor thermometers as the ESC can handle way more than your finger can.

Also, it is normal for an ESC to be warm...

RC poster
    I know, I need to get out to get a thermometer but harbor freight is a decent ride. I may stop at home depot and see what I can find at a fair price.

I just wanted to say after a weekend of abuse its still going. had 8 kids fighting over playing with it this weekend, it was stepped on tripped over fell on. one of the 3 year olds ran it over with the power wheels. no breaks no problems with screws. was a great time. and while this thing has some rolling issues on blacktop and grass and the like. on the loose gravel roads and sites of the campground this thing really shines. it still rolls if you try to roll it but most turns that would roll before become power slides.

I'd say 50% of its use is going to be at the campground on the gravel and leaves. 40% on the grass in the back yard and maybe 10% on blacktop or concrete.

everyone had such a blast one of the other guys is going to see what kind of favors he can call in at work to get a deal on atraxxas. told em if he wanted something thats abit easier to control and a better all around basher look into the 4x4 brushless stampede. I think with its bigger size it will better handle the turning and stuff with out flipping.
    Last edited by Gravebane525; 10-13-2013 at 10:33 PM.

RC poster
    ok finally had a chance to run it last night. not enough room to really run it anytime but on the weekend but I made a few laps around the block just to try and get it hot.

after about 20 mins of running on 2 2s 2200 in parallel the motor was around 130-140, the esc was giving temps around 104-108