RC Qualifier

Locked Diff Question

A while ago, someone wrote a post on how he would like to lock up his diffs, rather than having the slip diff set up. Since that post, I've been thinkiing of a way to do it mechanically rather than stuffing the diff cup with clay. In my mind, I figured out a way to do just that, and I could make one this winter. My question is: what would be the advantage to locking the rear diff on my Emax (if any)? And, would it be better to just lock the rear, or should the front be done as well? If there is an advantage, and I did make a mechanically locked diff; I would eventually post how to do it...if you guys would be interested.

RC Champion
    You can get a spool for the traxxas diffs.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-5381...item5af5299a36
    Not shore on the 1/8th scale diffs? somebody must make one.

RC poster
    Locking diffs puts twice the stress on them, because now instead of it transferring power to one axel and wheel it is mechanically coupled to 2 axels and wheels. Unless you are pulling a sled or drag racing locking diffs causes more problems than it is worth. It widens your turning radius, makes it harder to run in a straight line, and again, kills diffs.

This repeatedly comes up, and no matter how much the pros say don't do it, the noobs just have to try it anyway. Then they try it and break stuff and then swear off locked diffs for life.

RC Qualifier
    There can be benefits to it (used to racing 1/10 touring cars, ran locked diff on the front) but honestly as was posted above me, i dont think you will see it on a monster truck.

Locked rear diff with increase over steer.
    Locked front diff will decrease off power corner speed on entry and mid corner but be beneficial in on power steering coming out from a turn.

Otherwise yeh it will be harder on drive axles by a fairly great amount. If you are driving on any sort of surface that is even mildy loose it will just slide everywhere if you lock the rear, trying to get it to go straight will be a challenge. It might be a benefit if you plan on climbing up something at slower speeds but generally for higher speed stuff it will be more of a problem.

If you are going to lock one diff, lock the front, but the turning radius will be really bad on a vehicle that already has a pretty poor radius to begin with.

RC Qualifier
    Okay thanks. I know I could do it, but didn't want to spend the time if it wasn't going to be worth it, so I will just stay a slip diff guy. Thanks again for the straight advice.

RC Competitor
    Well I run a locked diff only in the rear have been for two years or so problem free on 5s had to put steel shafts in it thought
    i cant fit all my trucks in 50 characters

RC Champion
    I also run locked diffs occasionally with no problems. I am only crawling when i have them in also. Speed is no good with a locked front diff.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

A good compromise is to run 100k - 500k diff oil. The super-thick oil acts to keep power transferred more evenly across both wheels while still allowing some slip.