RC Racer

Slash 4x4 battery pack

Ok so I am using the standard NiMH battery that came with my recently purchased slash 4x4 and I can see that it is becoming increasingly hot after driving. I can tell that it is beginning to melt and want to stop it to avoid purchasing a new one and doing the same thing. I typically drive it on road, and through grass a couple of times. I also drain the batteries before recharging. Also, when should I throw it in the trash and buy a new one? How bad does it have to get?

RC Racer
    Everyone will say this but get a lipo:/ spc racing has 5000 mah hard pack with traxxas connected for 26$. But anyway if it is warm those nimhs do that but if it is to hot t touch then try not doing as much speed runs. The battery should never get hotter than the motor as mine stays warm where I can keep touching it try changing your pinion to smaller
    Yes I do have a Traxxas...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Please explain:
    "drain the batteries before recharging"
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Please explain:
    "drain the atteries beforne recharging"
    Some 25 year old NiCD legends will never die .....LOL

Bottom line is your pack may be damaged, try dropping one tooth on pinion gear, and make a few stops during your run and check the temps. Try a new pack and follow strict charging plan. And Do Not discharge the pack ..that was only good for NiCad cells. Run it til u see the speed drop noticeabally and bring it in.
    3905 E-MAXX

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Tell me about it... I have friends in the construction industry that still to this day feel the need to run their NiMH powered drills until they don't move anymore before charging them back up and then wonder why they are only lasting a few months of use. Thankfully a few of them are starting to switch over to Lithium batteries so that habit can be broke... sort of. They to still stop running before they charge them, but that is internal controls stopping the drill instead of completely draining them and killing the battery.

What I was trying to get the OP to inform us of is how far the battery was drained... if the run just partially drained it and they were just bringing the battery down to normal discharge levels nothing should have been damaged. But, if they were completely draining the pack... they are/were severely damaging it.

I am leaning toward the latter due to the symptoms described.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.