RC Qualifier

Problem with hex on front MIP X-Duty CVD's

Hi everyone!

I wonder if anybody else have the same issue with the hexes on the front MIP's. The problem is when tightening the wheel nut, the hex slides inward on the axle and compresses the bearings so that the wheel can't spin freely.
    No matter how hard I tighten the set screw on the hex, it won't prevent it from being pushed inward when tightening the wheel nut. I'm sick and tired of stripping grub screws.
    The axles are so hard that the set screws barely put a mark in them.
    On the rear I have no problems, probably because of the spacers in between the bearings.

RC Champion
    I also have MIPs all around but no issues.

Are the bearing all good?

are hexes installed the right way?

Post some pics or video. Maybe i can help then.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-29-2013 at 11:55 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Use a Teflon washers between the hex and bearing. And I second what soundmaster said about hexes installed facing the right way.
    The message above or below may or may not be true

And use good tools and blue thread lock too dude.........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    Its a spacer between bearings issue, 2 buddy's had this issue until we bought and used the washers for hex between bearings, think we used 3. what happens is as your running the bearings squish giving play on the hex like a loose axle nut, next thing youe wheels are damaged......

On the last set we have I use the original pin type MIP X-duty
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Champion
    I run my MIPs without any washers and have no issues. They work perfectly fine in front and rear.

RC Qualifier
    i believe the mip keyed hex can only go on one way correctly. the hex has a built in spacer. i had assembled mine incorectly the firt time. i could be wrong though lol

RC Qualifier
    Thank you all for your feedback
    Checked my bearings again - all good.
    Hexes mounted the right way - checked.
    Blue Loctite on set screw - checked.
    Teflon washer between bearing and hex - checked. Well hello there... The teflon washer had deformed a little under the pressure from the wheel nut. The washer put a little pressure on the rubber seal on the bearing - probably enough to make it touch the bearing balls.
    I removed the teflon washer and put it all together again - the front wheels now spins a lot better. Strangely enough the right front wheel spins more freely than the left one. Could be it will free up after a couple of runs?

Once again, thank you all for your advice. It made me doublecheck everything again

RC Enthusiast
    Besides what you have already done, did you put that black plastic spacer (provided with MIP axle kit) inside the bearing carrier between bearings?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kcollins812 View Post
    Besides what you have already done, did you put that black plastic spacer (provided with MIP axle kit) inside the bearing carrier between bearings?
    This spacer is metal not plastic

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kcollins812 View Post
    To my knowledge there are no spacers between the bearings on the front axles, only on the rear ones. At least there where no spacers included in the set when I bought it. But please, correct me if I'm wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Update on front MIPS:
    I contacted Matt at MIP and he believed to have a solution for me. He sent me new axles, part #10133.
    When comparing the old with the new axles I noticed that the new axles have 0.25mm wider spacing between the inner and outer bearing. After installment and testing I can report that the front wheels now spin freely, and everything is working perfectly.
    MIP = excellent customer support.

One more thing: The hexes now have 1.5mm set screws instead of the old 1/16".
    Last edited by Viking; 10-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.

RC Champion
    Glad to see it was fixed by them quickly. New MIP keyed hexes only have the set screw to keep the hex from falling off when taking the wheel off. They are not supposed to be super-tight.

The small black bearing spacers included with the rear axles go between the bearings. When installed properly, there are no gaps from the axle flange, through the bearings, to the hex, wheel, and locknut. There's no significant horizontal force pressing the inside of the bearings out either. It's a really good design that helps keep the axle straight, increasing bearing life. Adding shims to the newer MIP axles will not help. When installed properly, they work great and last forever.

That's why I am a massive mip fan because of the products and customer service ......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!