RC Enthusiast

New rally with mamba monster (new member)

Hey guys i just bought my first traxxas and im pretty new to RC
    I ran it with the stock velenion system on a 3s and it was getting way to hot and had to cool down alot.
    I decided to get a Mamba Monster 2200 and esc.
    Installation was easy and i ran it with the 3s lipo (6400mah 25c) it seemed slower than the velenion system.
    Im assuming its because the motor is lower KV. After doing alot of reading people are saying the 4s is "crazy" fast so i bought a Gens Ace 4s (5000mah 40c)
    OK this speed was definatley faster but only seemed a bit faster than the velenion system. So i am kind of dissapointed. I watch you-tube vids and there is guys pulling crazy wheelies. My car does not wheelie at all. NOt even a little bit... I am running the stock 54t spur and 18t pinion.
    I have 6.5mm castle bullet connectors i soldered on everything.
    I also pick my truck up and the tires dont really balloon much just a little.
    OK so my issue is i thought this setup is supposed to be crazy fast? and i want to be able to wheelie
    Is my pinion to small? WHat size should i try? SHould i goto 6s to get wheelies?
    I was watching a vid of a guy running 3s and he was doing crazy wheelies.

RC Enthusiast
    Esc might be programmed to not 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Welcome!!!!!
    do you have a Castle USB link or field card?
    IMO, a MMM/2200 on 4s is the starting point to really wake up. I've been running 4s on my Rally GT8 geared Mod1 20T/36T and it moves. I have not experienced wheelie but I blow over it probably 4 times and have not broke any parts yet (knock on wood). on the video you watched...could it be, he's running a MMP/2400 with a good set of grip tires. rally is hard to do wheelies but, it does a lot of wheel spin.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Enthusiast
    i connected it to the castle link. everything is fine. 100% power. the car is no where near being uncontrollable.
    should i try to get a bigger pinion? any suggestions?

RC Champion
    Definitely gear up, maybe try a 20T or 22T. As well try dropping the Spur to a 50T. You may have to look at getting into Mod1 gear setups to get a a low enough ratio, but try the 22/50 for now.

RC Enthusiast
    54/22 has a ratio of .407 and the 50/22 has a ratio of .44 which is faster? is the lower the number the more top speed?
    also a 54/24 is roughly the same as a 50/22 so wouldnt it be easier to just replace the pinion? Teach me
    Last edited by mustbenu; 09-29-2013 at 11:19 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    i found this in a thread on another forum "2200kv is simply too low for 3s usage. To get the same RPM out of the 2200kv motor as you would have with the stock motor on 3s (~44000rpm), you need 5s (~46000rpm)."

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mustbenu View Post
    54/22 has a ratio of .407 and the 50/22 has a ratio of .44 which is faster? is the lower the number the more top speed?
    also a 54/24 is roughly the same as a 50/22 so wouldnt it be easier to just replace the pinion? Teach me
    You divide the big gear by little gear (spur/pinion), so 54/22 = 2.45, The lower the number the more top speed. 50/22 = 2.27 not a significant change, but enough to try it. Right now you are geared at 54/18 3.00, the 2.27 change is significant. However as you have read below, the 2200kv is better suited for 4s application

i found this in a thread on another forum "2200kv is simply too low for 3s usage. To get the same RPM out of the 2200kv motor as you would have with the stock motor on 3s (~44000rpm), you need 5s (~46000rpm)."
    Good for you to do your own research! The motor is really designed for 4s and up operation.

RC poster
    gear it up to 22-24 or so. will come alive on 4s

RC Enthusiast
    OK so i ordered a 6s 60c lipo
    and im going to get a 24 t pinion. hopefully its fast enough

RC Enthusiast
    anyone want to buy the 3s and 4s lipo it only has one run on each

RC Champion
    OK so i ordered a 6s 60c lipo
    and im going to get a 24 t pinion. hopefully its fast enough
    Be sure to upgrade your motor mount/diff main bearing to an aluminum one as well as your drive shafts and you slipper clutch, if you haven't already... That 6s 2200kv will melt and tear the mount and shafts apart real quick..

RC Enthusiast
    i have orderied the kings head aluminum motor mount and it comes with a bigger bearing. What drive shafts should i get?

RC Champion
    MIPs Teknos or Traxxas 6851/2Rs, they are all good!

I have the MIP's and Traxxas, I like them both for various reasons. I like the Traxxas because they are so smooth, and fit with out issues. The MIP's can drag on the front knuckles, and are not sealed like the Traxxas CVDs. This drives me nuts abotuthe MIPS.

RC Enthusiast
    so i put in the 22t pinion on the 4s and it is really fast now! the motor seems to be a bit hotter?

RC Champion
    so i put in the 22t pinion on the 4s and it is really fast now! the motor seems to be a bit hotter?
    Yes it will be hotter but it should be okay as that 2200 can handle a 6s system. Doesn't hurt to get a temperature reading however just to get a idea of what your dealing with.

RC Enthusiast
    6s with what gear though

RC Champion
    6s with what gear though
    I have no idea... I don't run a 6s in that configuration, however I bet you are fine with your current 22/54 with 4s.

Get a temperature gun and you'll be able to determine what gearing is optimal should you go 6s, they're really inexpensive on ebay. I got one for $12.00 shipped. Just keep the temps under 175F and you're golden..

RC Enthusiast
    which slipper clutch?

RC Champion
    which slipper clutch?
    You can just upgrade to the E-Revo clutch as its available an inexpensive. It has a larger surface diameter for friction.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    anyone want to buy the 3s and 4s lipo it only has one run on each
    don't sell it yet, save it up for later. 6s is fun until you break things every run then you realize.....I coulda,..... shoulda save them 3s and 4s lol.

I've tried 6s few times and its nerve recking, that's when my first air borne happen (blow over) skid/tumble a good 100 feet away scratched up my new body, good thing nothing break except for my wheels are all beat up from tumbling down.

get at least the aluminum bearing adapter for now and revo slipper clutch with aluminum pads as mentioned.

best of luck and don't forget to post vid
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    ^^^ What he said

RC Enthusiast
    ok so i ran the 6s it was so much fun and very fast. I ran 2 full packs through didnt break or twist or bend anything like everything i read on the net. I hit 70.3 mph on GPS i think it can go 80 but the tires balloon to much and i loose control or run out of room. I went back to the 4s and now that seems boring lol. i did hit a few curbs, not a full speed though... but nothing broke.
    funny thing is it still does not wheelie at all.

RC Racer
    Any videos yet ? I really want to see this thing run.
    Slash 4x4 and 10 other Models. Too Much !