Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F&R Slash build

RC Qualifier

F&R Slash build

Time for another build. No real theme to this one except to make it perform well. I have a brand new pre-roller on the way that should be here on the 1st. That will get completely torn down and upgraded. Here are the pictures of the pre-roller taken by the seller.

It should be a fun build. I've never had a 2wd Slash before.

Sub'd. This should be good.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Anyone have anything to say about a Savox SC-1258? Is it overkill of this truck?

And another question... will a Slash 4x4 body fit a 2wd slash?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-27-2013 at 10:27 PM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    Yes, the r
    Raptor and Dodge need slightly longer front posts but the holes are in the same place.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Yes, the r
    Raptor and Dodge need slightly longer front posts but the holes are in the same place.
    Thanks! What's the wheel offsets compared to the Slash 4x4? Close?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks! What's the wheel offsets compared to the Slash 4x4? Close?
    The 2wd and 4x4 share rear hexes(as well as the jato, rustler etc) the front hexes give more offset(I think) but they are still 12mm.

RC Qualifier
    I was thinking of wheel offset.

On the 4x4 their the same, on the 2wd the front rims have a greater off set.
    When sand dragging we often but 2wd front rims on the rear to widen the wheel track, this with the pro track suspension produces a 13" rear wheel track.
    [IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    On the 4x4 their the same, on the 2wd the front rims have a greater off set.
    When sand dragging we often but 2wd front rims on the rear to widen the wheel track, this with the pro track suspension produces a 13" rear wheel track.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Nice Pro-Lined out Slash! Is the 4x4 offset closer to the front of rear offset on the 2wd?

RC Enthusiast
    I don't know the exact mm offset but the rear 2wd and both on the 4x4 are the same.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLude View Post
    I don't know the exact mm offset but the rear 2wd and both on the 4x4 are the same.
    Ok thank you. That's what I was looking for. I wanted to know if I could run 4x4 tires on my 2wd because I have a 4x4 that could use tires and I could use the same set if they would fit.

Nice Pro-Lined out Slash! Is the 4x4 offset closer to the front of rear offset on the 2wd?
    All four 4x4 rims are the same as the rear 2wd's, its just the front rims which arent interchangeable, at least for legal racing specs.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for all of the info guys. Turns out the pre-roller is going to be delivered early! It should be here today!! I'll post pictures as soon as it arrives.

It's here it's here it's here!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to get it unboxed. Pics to come in just a moment.

Sooo pretty Let the tear down begin!

She's completely torn apart and I know where I'm going to go with the build now. She's going to be called the Slasher Basher and it will be a Slash built for bashing but without sacrificing performance and good looks.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-28-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: merge

Anyone have anything to say about a Savox SC-1258? Is it overkill of this truck?

I don't think anyone answered about the servo..

I run it in my slash 2wd and it nice
    You'll need a glitchbuster but it performs well
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    I don't think anyone answered about the servo..

I run it in my slash 2wd and it nice
    You'll need a glitchbuster but it performs well
    Thanks. Going by the specs, it's got decent power but I liked it for its speed. I think I might keep the one I have though because it was $15 and it's rated 180.5 oz/in and 0.15 sec/60

Thanks. Going by the specs, it's got decent power but I liked it for its speed. I think I might keep the one I have though because it was $15 and it's rated 180.5 oz/in and 0.15 sec/60
    What is it called?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    What is it called?
    EXI D226F. You can get it at HobbyPartz.com. It's coreless and metal geared too. Best deal out there right now as far as servos go IMO.

it's got decent power but I liked it for its speed.
    For my personal use on the track I've found high speed servo to be a disadvantage, high torque is nice but high speed, at least for me is much harder to control.
    I know many will disagree but this is why there just opinions, a high speed servo for me makes over steering an issue.
    I've found the spectrum s6040 to be a nice rounded servo and at $70 a decent price for this hobby.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FY1FMgod-xgAwA
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-28-2013 at 12:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    For my personal use on the track I've found high speed servo to be a disadvantage, high torque is nice but high speed, at least for me is much harder to control.
    I know many will disagree but this is why there just opinions, a high speed servo for me makes over steering an issue.
    I've found the spectrum s6040 to be a nice rounded servo and at $70 a decent price for this hobby.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...FY1FMgod-xgAwA
    I see where you're coming from. Also, the servo you linked to is incredibly similar to the Savox servo I was talking about. Nearly identical in every aspect including price. It would be a nice addition but I think I'll stick with my $15 servo for now.

I'll stick with my $15 servo for now.
    I dont blame you one bit, the only reason I bought the specky was because my losi scte ten came with such a low grade servo it was a must have situation.
    As I've said in the past, this hobby doesn't have to cost a fortune, most mods help ones ego more than performance.

RC Qualifier
    most mods help ones ego more than performance.
    That should be put in some kind of book or something because it couldn't be more true! I'll admit though... I only started looking at different servos because it's so out in the open on the Slash and I wanted it to look good. I love the looks of the Savox orange servos as well as the Spectrum and HiTecs with their polished bands around the case.

RC Racer
    I rotate my Slash 2WD rears to the front and front to the rears. The Slash front wheels with more offset than the rears can result in minor rubbing on the back of the stock lexan body. It will run just fine with Slash 2WD/4x4 rears on both front and back for general bashing and driving but won't be legal for racing.

RC Qualifier
    Tired of your lower shock mounting holes packing with dirt? Buy a ridiculous amount of stainless steel set screws and do what I did!

It pretties it up a little too

RC Qualifier
    I had the whole truck mocked up and the only things I'm missing are:
    -1 pin for the rear axle hex
    -1 shock piston
    -Tx/rx
    -Rx box
    -ESC
    -Motor
    That's pretty good! I think I'm going to steal the tx/rx from my Rally, order the little stuff, and go with the Castle Sidewinder SCT ESC with the 3800 KV motor. I'd go with a better ESC and lower KV motor but believe it or not, I still run NiMH batteries so I gotta keep those RPMs up some how. The chassis and bulkhead are soaking in dye right now. She should be mostly assembled tomorrow afternoon! Anyone have any comments on anything?

RC Qualifier
    Man, I really like the setscrew idea. Really classes up the joint.

When you put the front skid on, instead of installing the capscrews that hold the bellcrank to the skid, put some spacers in the chassis pockets and run screws through the chassis into the skid. You will never have to deal with the cranks popping out of the chassis if you do this, and it strengthens the skid and chassis.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster75 View Post
    Man, I really like the setscrew idea. Really classes up the joint.

When you put the front skid on, instead of installing the capscrews that hold the bellcrank to the skid, put some spacers in the chassis pockets and run screws through the chassis into the skid. You will never have to deal with the cranks popping out of the chassis if you do this, and it strengthens the skid and chassis.
    Thanks for the advice! Do you have any pictures of that done? If I'm understanding right... I use the same screws but run them through the chassis and fill in the spot in the bottom of the chassis where the screw head used to go with a spacer?

RC Qualifier
    ooooohhhhhh. Pretty carbon fiber

It's the little things

Tired of your lower shock mounting holes packing with dirt?
    Can't say it ever really bothered me, but for a shelf queen they look a lot nicer with the screws in there.
    I believe I may give your idea a go for winter pretty shelf time.

RC Qualifier
    These are the ones I got. Just a piece of advice... get at least 50. I blew through 25 in no time flat.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#92605a097/=oqm3jm

These are the ones I got. Just a piece of advice... get at least 50. I blew through 25 in no time flat.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#92605a097/=oqm3jm
    Those are quite reasonable, I thought they would be a lot more, thanks for the address.

RC Competitor
    most mods help ones ego more than performance.
    Seriously the most truthful thing I've read here. If there were a point system on this forum I'd shoot them your way.

I run front tires on the rear with no real issue, for a basher this isn't a problem. Looking forward to watching this build up, I have a project myself but waiting on funds to move forward on it.

RC Qualifier
    Ordering the SCT Sidewinder and some stuff from RCPlanet tonight. Should be a fun little truck

RC Qualifier
    Just a little update. I got a black trans case and some Traxxas connectors, as well as ordering the SCT sidewinder system. This truck should be running by the end of the week!!

RC Qualifier
    Got the ESC and motor. It's awesome! I got the Field Link too. How is everyone mounting their ESCs?

RC Qualifier
    I cut out a square piece of aluminum and drilled holes in it where the stock vxl3 esc mounted. Then glued the esc with e6000 to the plate. All you have to do to get the esc off is remove 2 screws.

RC Qualifier
    Are you using the forward hole to mount that plate? There's only 1 in the back but there's two in the front. I drilled my plate to use the rearward hole but the ESC doesn't fit between the bolt heads. Then I got thinking I'd try to mount it lower to keep the CG down but the ESC really isn't that heavy so I guess it's not worth it.

RC Qualifier
    Yea you have to use the frontward hole for a castle esc. I dont think the front hole comes with threads in it, so if you run a screw down it beforehand it'll make things a little easier.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dontlift19 View Post
    Yea you have to use the frontward hole for a castle esc. I dont think the front hole comes with threads in it, so if you run a screw down it beforehand it'll make things a little easier.
    Yeah it looked like the rear hole was used before so I made the plate to fit that thinking the Castle was smaller than stock. Thanks for the info!

RC Qualifier
    2 sided servo tape no need for all that .. dontlift19 will hate what he did in the future

Got the ESC and motor. It's awesome! I got the Field Link too. How is everyone mounting their ESCs?
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

I also use double sided tape and stick it to a mounting plate