RC Racer

Mamba Monster BBQ.............

Mamba Monster BBQ, I'll let the pics do the talking. But I plugged it in, I noticed the beep sequence seemed funny, but I gave it throttle and it seemed alright, then it stopped and I had steering control but not throttle, so I unplugged the battery thinking it might be a loose battery connection, I plugged it in and beeps again seemed off, gave it throttle it moved 10 feet away and started smoking, when I reached down to unplug it, a massive smoke cloud came out of the ESC, and I backed away thinking that it was about to explode one of the 5800mAh LiPos from the dead short...... then I quickly reached down to rip the wires right out of the ESC and found they had completely melted the solder joint from the heat and pulled off like nothing. When I got it inside, this is what I was left with. http://captfiero.com/monsterbbq

RC Champion
    Maybe the plastic dip is not a good idea. Holding in the heat.

Ouch, sorry about that, that sucks.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    What is really annoying is the 100 bucks worth of parts I ordered the day before, for the truck. Some of them are already at the PO Box waiting to be picked up. I still have my 4x4 Stampede but its kinda boring compared to the E-Maxx.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EMAXXBRUSHLESS View Post
    Maybe the plastic dip is not a good idea. Holding in the heat.
    It wouldnt have been that, if it was because it wasnt allowing it to cool effectively it would gradually have overheated and shut off, that looks like it shorted which would have been near instantaneous, particularly the way it has desoldered the battery connections so there was likely a problem going on in there to begin with.

My esc did the same thing.

RC Racer
    Ya I am not blaming the Plasti dip. I ran the truck really hard the day before this went pop. Its more than likely that something got knocked loose during the previous days bashing session. It was just bad luck for me. I was just amazed at how much smoke came pouring out. Those 2 LiPo's can sure dump out a ton of juice when they need to.

I have since tested one of the LiPo's in my Stampede 4x4 Brushless VXL and its fine. I have to re-solder on new leads to the other battery before I can test with it. To be honest I am thinking about selling both of my rigs and doing a change up for a Team Associated Rival. I love my E-Maxx and just bought another 100 bucks worth of stuff for it too.

Na who am I kidding. I'll sell the Stampede as I don't really like running it, as its just too small. I am going to keep the E-Maxx and get a new MM2 Waterproof ESC for it and have a ball with it.

BBQed or not, its still my favorite.

RC Racer
    Ok so just an update. I finally broke down and just went to my local Hobby store and bought a new Mamba Monster 2 off the shelf. Thankfully, found out both my batteries and motor are fine as well as my receiver. After some rather frustrating time trying to set the Mamba ESC up without the aid of a field programmer or USB cable I got it all working. However while it was off the road I did some major overhauls on the suspension and totally screwed up the near perfect handling I had. The good news is the truck is back on the road, tearing stuff up. LOL, so well in fact that I lost the rear wheelie bar at 8pm at night in a 1.3 acre field. I am going to walk the area today during the daylight and see if I can find it. The Wheelie Wheels are Plasti-Dipped bright red so they should stand out fairly well.

One quick question, do you have to have the small black and red wire plug installed on something to get the FAN to run on the Mamba Monster 2? It did not come on with the truck even after running for a few mins it was still not on.

If I recall correctly Castle says to unplug the fan when you're running it in water. Not sure exactly, but it may not come plugged in from the factory.

RC Qualifier
    Smells like chicken...
    Big Air Don't Care