RC Champion

Went flying yesterday! (RC Planes)

So my girlfriends dad is HUGE into RC planes and helicopters and he took me out to fly some. This was the second time doing it (first time was about ten mins worth) and I have to say that I am hooked!! It was a 35 year old plane with a 40 year old nitro motor in it and Still running strong. I was practicing figure eights, lift and just not trying to crash his plane lol. After about twenty mins and two tanks of fuel he was like want to do a loop? I was like what! Lol your plane but sure. So I did a loop with his help and pretty awesome I must say! He helped me take off twice and on the third time he said go for it on your own. Not going to lie I was nervous but man was it awesome to actually see it lift off the ground and it was not quite as hard as I thought it would have been. The landings he assisted me twice and on the third he said go for it and it didn't work out like I wanted lol. But at least it still landed on the wheels . This is long and I'm sorry but I'm very excited to have done what I did and have someone willing to teach me and allow me to use there things. When we left I felt a sense of accomplishment and that is something I have not really felt with the RC cars (I do have a blast with them though don't get me wrong). But it really shows a lot about him to trust me like that. Cannot wait to hopefully get one of my own one day!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    There is a reason I fly planes and helicopters as well.. its very addictive! Congrats on your success and hopefully many more in the future. If you thought planes are fun, try and convince her father to let you try his helcopters.. Its not like anything you've ever done before.. As they say on the flight line.. any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.(in this case, the airplane). Even if it wasn't the most pretty.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    There is a reason I fly planes and helicopters as well.. its very addictive! Congrats on your success and hopefully many more in the future. If you thought planes are fun, try and convince her father to let you try his helcopters.. Its not like anything you've ever done before.. As they say on the flight line.. any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.(in this case, the airplane). Even if it wasn't the most pretty.
    I agree and thank you. I really like my cars but the plane was on an entirely different level. I have been looking into both planes and heli's but I think I'd rather start off with planes and gradually make my way over into heli's also. Lol I'm just happy I was able to save it and not nose dive. I would have felt bad if I broke it and even worse paying for something that's not mine. But he understands it could happen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RC Champion
    My main atrraction is still and always be cars and trucks. I got into planes first back in the 60's and 70's.. yes I'm old, but also got into cars in the early 80's.. Heli's came later when the technology caught up with the hobby.. I flew heli's back in the day when you had to fly the tail.. Learn to hold the tail and not have the gyro do it for you.. much more fun and I still occasionally catch myself flying that way.. OOps.. There are so many different aspects of this hobby that I'm involved in its really impossible to be bored with it. I also run r/c boats and motorcycles as well as all the others. My latest diversion is FPV.. with quadcopters and planes.. opens up a whole new world out there..

As for you girlfriends father offering to let you fly his planes.. It does come with some assumed risk. If it crashes.. It happens.. I doubt he would make you pay for it, but who knows.. Just have fun. I let friends fly some of my less valuable stuff and I don't worry about it much. My wife stuffed one of my favorite planes once.. I wasn't laughing, but I knew the risks.. I never told her how much it costs however.. Didn't want to open up that "can of worms" LOL

RC Champion
    I am new to the sport of planes and heli's but I do remember him talking about the 1 axis (I think) gyro that just holds the tail and now the new 3 axis gyro's that control all axis'. He still fly's his Trex 700 nitro to this day and he bought it almost 12 years ago. I am having a blast experimenting with the new venues of RC. Such a great group of people and it is nice not having people my age that are still in the party stage of life. I have been moved on from that part of my life for many years. I am liking the ability to better myself at something. At the age of 28 it's nice to find something that you can be productive at and have the ability to feel accomplished. Knowing you learned a new trick or just improving it. I enjoy the little things in life that make me feel better lol.

Oh yeah he knows that it could and will probably happen with me wanting to push it a little further each time. He was wanting to do all these things but I wanted to the baby steps way . I doubt he would make me pay for it. He is the kind of guy that loves to teach people new things and is willing to take the time to make sure you know how to do it and do it correctly. LOL it is always better when they don't know the cost of certain things

RC Champion
    I can't even remember what the old gyro's were called back then.. maybe one axis, but mine felt like no axis and it was much more than 12 years when I first flew one. My newer ones have full gyro and will hover almost hands off... Trex700.. nice heli, I had a couple of 50 raptors a few years ago, but I'm limited to electrics now.. a 400 size, 200 size and a micro.. No more big ones.. cannot justify the expense with how little time I have to fly them anymore. Life gets too busy at 50, not easier.. At this point with my flying, I'm happy when I come home and they are in one piece.. I don't have the hand eye speed to do what I used to.. truth is I can't see them in the air like I used to and I went much smaller... but I fly closer to where I stand.. heli's are alot of fun, but alot of work to master them.Your girlfriends father sounds like a great guy to learn from.. You will be fine. Oh, and you don't want to know what they cost.. makes the cars and trucks seem cheap.

It sounds like a good time was had by all.

I once tried flying a little park flyer (okay, twice...I tried flying it two different times). Let's just say that I decided to stick with land and water based R/Cs! The first flight ended up in a violent crash that destroyed the wing, tail, etc. I fixed it and tried to fly it again a while later; that time, I ended up clipping a tree with the wing (and broke the wing, the tail, etc.). I still have that little plane, but I never got around to fixing it back up again. After my second attempt, I decided that flying was not for me. It sure does look like a lot of fun, though!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    I can't even remember what the old gyro's were called back then.. maybe one axis, but mine felt like no axis and it was much more than 12 years when I first flew one. My newer ones have full gyro and will hover almost hands off... Trex700.. nice heli, I had a couple of 50 raptors a few years ago, but I'm limited to electrics now.. a 400 size, 200 size and a micro.. No more big ones.. cannot justify the expense with how little time I have to fly them anymore. Life gets too busy at 50, not easier.. At this point with my flying, I'm happy when I come home and they are in one piece.. I don't have the hand eye speed to do what I used to.. truth is I can't see them in the air like I used to and I went much smaller... but I fly closer to where I stand.. heli's are alot of fun, but alot of work to master them.Your girlfriends father sounds like a great guy to learn from.. You will be fine. Oh, and you don't want to know what they cost.. makes the cars and trucks seem cheap.
    I have been looking at some of the 450 class heli's. Figure that would be a good entry level and the parts and batteries are nearly as expensive. Maybe one day I get a plane or a heli but until then I am fine just taking the baby steps and having someone teach me on their stuff lol. Thank you for the kind words he is a great teacher and very patient about things....which is what I need lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    It sounds like a good time was had by all.

I once tried flying a little park flyer (okay, twice...I tried flying it two different times). Let's just say that I decided to stick with land and water based R/Cs! The first flight ended up in a violent crash that destroyed the wing, tail, etc. I fixed it and tried to fly it again a while later; that time, I ended up clipping a tree with the wing (and broke the wing, the tail, etc.). I still have that little plane, but I never got around to fixing it back up again. After my second attempt, I decided that flying was not for me. It sure does look like a lot of fun, though!
    I looked into those when I first started wanting to fly about a year ago. Everything I read and heard from talking to people they said the smaller ones are harder to fly. But I have never tired and every one is different. What I have been learning on has a wing span of about 4-5 feet. I look at it as whether you are flying or driving RC you are going to crash. That's how you learn but man does it stink sometimes having to spend the money and have down time lol.

RC Qualifier
    Flying a helicopter is very different and a whole lot harder than flying an airplane. While it's true that the bigger they are the easier it is, the bigger they are the more anxiety there is. I find it a lot easier to learn if I'm not so nervous about it. If you can fly a little one you can fly anything. If you really want to learn to fly a heli, get a Blade ****. I always practice new stunts with mine, crash it every time I fly it and have never broken anything in almost a year. Once I learn something on the ****, it's a breeze with a bigger one. With any other heli I've ever had, the smallest crash brakes things. Most people learn to fly airplanes and heli's with simulators, but I loose something in the translation. It's just not the same as really flying one.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 09-28-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Sorry guys this thread is starting to cross the line. Traxxas pretty much insists any RC discussions be related to Traxxas vehicles.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power