Thread: transmission

RC Enthusiast

transmission

I was having problems with my jato clicking, binding. would rev way up but would go anywhere. I took off the diff to check that, it looked good but then i seen parts of something down in the tranny. it looked like slipper clutch pads so i took the gear off to check those. two of them had chunks missing out of them. my question is it possible that those chunks are what i found in my transmission or is it somthingelse. I plan on taking apart the tranny this weekend to really go through it and see if there is anything messed up.

also after getting these pieces out of tranny i put it back together and it still did not run right so something is messed up in there.

RC Qualifier
    Those pieces are probably the teeth off of the primary gear of 1st gear.

RC Racer
    Hey Mark... Am breaking the pins inside the tranny with my steel gears... Was breaking the outer cvd pins... Changed to high tensile steel drill bits and now. I ran the jato the pins inside broke... What am I doing wrong... I need to change the pins inside now?

RC Qualifier
    The pins and main shaft in the trans were the last weak points in the driveline for me too. Unfortunately there's no good way to fix it. If you put cut drill bits in there you will brake the main shaft and those cost quite a bit more than pins. The only real answer is the slipper clutch. I tried every type slipper made and was never happy, I could never find the sweet spot between slip and grip. It would either slip to much or brake parts. Now I use the stock slipper with an old radiator hose cut into slipper pads, I used the brake disc as pattern and made about 20 while I was doing it. I've never been able to tell that it was slipping while driving, but when I take it off there's obvious signs off wear. The one on my Jato has seen 20 hard gallons and is just now starting to look a little thin, I think I'll replace it before I go run it today. I haven't broke anything since I started using the rubber pads.
    Last edited by Mark Ball; 09-28-2013 at 08:41 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks Mark... Could you post a pic of the rubber hose pad you made... Am gonna just follow your lead on this...

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, I don't have a camera and my phone takes terrible pictures. I just laid a brake disc on the hose and drew the outline with a pen and cut it out with a razor knife, then cut a hole in the center. Each one makes two pads because the hose is twice as thick as needed. A radiator hose is made of two layers of rubber with a web of string in between, this made it very easy to tell exactly where to split it.

RC Racer
    Thanks man... Much appreciated... Am gonna try it and see...

I've found that in addition to proper slipper adjustment a slightly lower shift point can help reduce stress on the transmission / driveline parts. Try adjusting the shift point a few mph sooner, it won't pound second gear as hard and truck should still be crazy quick. Might help some.

RC Enthusiast
    For this problem, like I stated in my other post this being my first nitro rc, or any rc with some real power. To simplify it I ordered the single gear conversion. Once I get the hang of it all I figured I can always go back. All I do really is mess around with it, no racing so I figured I'm not really out anything by giving up the two speed.

That's one way taking care of it. Just make sure you don't hold the engine wide open for long periods of time. They can over-rev and damage themselves.