RC Enthusiast

blowing glow plug on restart

I'm using 10% nitro and ez start. My jato starts right up and as long as it stays running whether its 5 minutes or an hour,
    refueling while running, I'm fine. Once its turned off and I try and restart it my glow plug goes. My tune is good and it runs
    awesome I just can't turn it off or I will be replacing the plug. Can't figure it out. Any ideas I would appreciate because I'm
    starting to get a little frustrated with it.

RC Racer
    What brand of glow plug are you using? And which engine?

RC Enthusiast
    3.3 with the traxxas plug. Also tried the " heavy duty" traxxas plug.

RC Racer
    Try os lc3 plugs

And up your nitro content to around 25-30% these engines prefer that range.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-26-2013 at 08:34 PM.

RC poster
    you should also let the engine cool off .....i don't think there built to run constantly tank after tank.10% fuel isn't the best to use on this vehicle 20% to 30 % is recommended.

RC Racer
    They sure can run constantly, but will obviously wear out quicker. As long as your temps are good etc...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

What does the bottom of the plug look like when you pull it out?

If it's black and greasy looking you're probably running on the rich side and fouling them.

If the coil is white and crusty or burned looking then you're running too lean and burning them up.

If the coil is squished, snapped or damaged like something hit it physically then you've got something else wrong. Could be a bearing coming apart, piston skirt breaking or just something getting sucked through the air filter or in the tank. Check the top of the piston and the under side of the cooling head. If these surfaces are pitted or rough looking then something is probably getting into the combustion chamber.

RC Enthusiast
    I have not ran it since problem due to my putting off fixing the transmission. But I'm thinking I have been running rich, glow plugs have been shiny when I take them out. I also have had some problems tuning the 3.3. This being my first nitro rc I did some research and found a lot of info on the losi 3.4 carb people saying its easier to tune and holds a tune better so I went ahead and ordered one of those. We will see if it helps me out or if someone is telling me to stick to electric. Here in Iowa though I'm running out of good weather for the nitro so hopefully I can get it all figured out before the snow starts falling.

Nitro vehicles run awesome in colder weather. The air is drier and denser (more oxygen). If it gets to what us Texans would call really cold (40s or lower, probably not cold by your standards ) you'll want to wrap the top part of the cooling head in aluminum foil or a part of an old sock or something to keep it warm.

Just remember that plastic gets more brittle as it gets colder, so more broken parts are normal. You'll also want to keep it out of areas where they've salted the roads and be careful to stay away from too much moisture. This tends to cause a lot of rust, just like running on a beach near salt water.