Thread: First run

RC Champion

Thumbs up First run

Well I finally received my pinion today from the guy I traded. I installed it and adjusted the steering and off I went. I must say that I am very impressed with the P4de. It handles much better than the P2de. I currently am running an SPC 2S 5400mAh hardcase geared 11/54. I ran for about 15 minutes and found the motor was a little hot. My stinkin' battery in my Flashpoint is dead!!! It doesn't seem to have quite the speed as my P2de geared 16/90 though. Any thoughts?? All in all I am very happy about this trade. Hope I can start the mod process soon.
    Was an xl-5, now its vxl-ent!

The 4x4 has more weight being driven by the same motor. Typically you'll see a little lower top speed with comparable setups but the 4x4 should accelerate much faster since it's using all 4 wheels to plant the power. It'll also handle better (as you've found out) because the front wheels are under power and help pull the truck in the direction you're steering.

^its got an other diff to power and a centre shaft to turn so top end will be down a little but its worth it for the extra control off roadbut I am stoked that you are enjoying your new beast........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Champion
    I figured the weight and extra rotating mass was most likely the culprit. I should be getting my Traxxas aluminum bearing adapter and big battery hold down tomorrow. I may be crazy and pop in my SPC 3S tomorrow evening. What holes do you guys have your shocks and camber links set?

I have the shocks set up with +10% progressive springs, 45wt oil front and rear and am using the factory mounting locations. Seems to run really well.

I also use a sway bar kit from the Slash 4x4 with the heavier bar but to do that you need to move the inner shock guard mounting bolt out by the shock itself.

I run big bores with 50wt oil all round with 20% progressive springs front and back and it handles the jumps like a champ.......peace

RC Champion
    I am running Powerstrokes. I was more referring to what holes you guys mount your shocks and camber links to the shock tower.

My shocks are mount on the highest setting because of where I drive and almost stock camber but adjusted to the extra height of the shocks....peace

RC Champion
    I think I smile just as much driving this Pede as I did with my P2de. It has an element of toughness that says beat on me a little bit. lol

RC Champion
    I installed my Traxxas bearing adapter and big battery hold down today. The P4de on 3s is crazy, lol!!! I think I need to order the 9t pinion to keep motor temps down. On that note, does the Kingz Headz motor mount help dissipate the motor heat similar to a P2de aluminum tranny? Is the Traxxas or STRC motor plate worth the investment since they are more "breathable"? Also, does everyone pretty much run the 54t spur or is there another option to look into? I saw that for speed runs the optional 17t pinion can be installed, but I can't imagine that you could run for any more than 5 minutes with the Velineon geared that way. Again, I am still very pleased with this trade.

Yes dude it will dissipate heat and stop any side flex on the chassis and any good aluminium motor plate will help with temps dude and a good fan setup on the motor as well.But stoked that you are lovin the 4x4........peace

RC Champion
    Good to know about the motor mount and motor plate. They are on my list for sure. Is the Castle motor fan recommended? I don't want anything Integy on my truck.

RC Qualifier
    I have been using the HR motor fan. Its been working good for me!
    2x Stampede VXL
    Stampede 4x4

I would look at 3 racing motor fans mine was awesome on my old vxl system and that is one thing that Integy is ok at.......peace