RC Enthusiast

Oil or grease in the diffs?

I've recently bought a stampede 4x4 roller that had a few upgrades on it(rpm arms, tekno and mip shafts, traxxas metal shocks and some other bits).

Anyway, I've totally stripped and cleaned it and am awaiting bearings and an sc8 with 3500kv motor(just want something akin to stock as I'm just bashing) before I rebuild it and I have come to the diffs to clean them.

Inside the diffs I found what I took to be at first glance moly grease? It was thick and black and didn't look as it had ever been silicon oil. What should be in and what weights are recommended. I do have some 5k and some 7k I used in my 1/18 mugen a while back. Would they be sufficient or would something a tad thicker be a better bet.

I have some 100k in my box but that has the consistency of cheddar so I'm guessing that may be a bit of overkill!

For the inside of the diffs use diff oil, like 50k (it works great) or 80k. For the outside ring and pinion gears use a good lithium marine grease. Good luck!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-24-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: speleng errers
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Using silicone diff oil will allow you better tune the diffs to your driving style. I and many others often recommend using 50k in the front and 30k in the rear diff.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies lads.

I don't think I'd go for the 100k as it doesn't even come out of the bottle, squeeze it and it peers out but that's it, surely that would be waaay too thick, almost like diff lock!

I might go and pick up a bottle each of 30, 50 and 80k though as they should give me enough options.

Also, while I have your attention, thinking of changing the front bumper, is the rpm setup for the slash the best way to go and is it a straight fitment?

Really depends on what you want as to what works best. I like 100k myself but I don't do any racing, I just want to bash. This keeps the wheels turning more evenly even along the roughest terrain. It makes it easier to get out of a tight spot if you're stuck and "diffing out". Downside is the wider turning radius since both wheels want to stay closer to the same speed.

If you're interested in the best handling then fine tuning with lighter weights of oil will be best. I would go with Dad's suggestion and play around with it from there.

Bottom line, no wrong answer really, just try it and change it if you don't like how it runs.

I am in the same boat as Dad 50 in the front and the 30 in rear its a nice combo for on and off road ........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by soops View Post

Also, while I have your attention, thinking of changing the front bumper, is the rpm setup for the slash the best way to go and is it a straight fitment?

RPM has one for the P4de. Lots use them and say they are great
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...ires/81042.htm

I use the T bone front bumper and servo guard. I must say I love it. I have launched into a tree before, and shot backwards about as fast as I hit the tree. I have had no problems at all with the t bone bumper and servo guard.

http://t-bone-racing.net/Brand-N-Z/T...4x4-p1175.html
    The message above or below may or may not be true

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Hirschowl,

my 'pede came with a standard bumper and a blue rpm bumper but I'm not keen RPM's 'pede bumper, it's like a sand shovel. I do like the look of the slash version much better but didn't know if anyone used on and if there is any clearance issues with the front wheels.

I had totally forgotten about the TBR kit. I've been looking but nobody seems to offer shipping to over here so I've sent an email to TBR asking what their shipping costs will be. I like how TBR also have a servo guard as well.

Where do you live soops because some times ebay can be awesome for parts dude......peace

RC Qualifier
    Here is another thread on same subject. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...r-Stampede-VXL It wont really answer your question though....

There might be clearance issues with the slash bumper due the the wider wheels of the p4de. But I am pretty sure you can get it to fit with proper parts. Might have to trim a little bit of the ends with a dremel. I don't really know for sure. Just taking an educated guess.

RC Enthusiast
    About 3 hours drive from you Spen .

Most of my stuff is from ebay and I buy bits from all over but some people still refuse to ship out of their country :/

Hirsch, I've plumped for the TBR bumper/brace/servo cover set. Postage seems very reasonable at $5 so I've ordered direct from them.

Sweet so is that London area dude?? And yeah there are lots of places to get stuff for the pede in the uk and if you need help just drop me a pm dude.The TBR stuff is sick and very well built......peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by soops View Post
    I've plumped for the TBR bumper/brace/servo cover set. Postage seems very reasonable at $5 so I've ordered direct from them.
    Great choice! If it wasn't for my servo guard, I'm sure I would of had a stick or sharp stone break my servo horn. (That's my kind on luck)

RC Enthusiast
    Not Cockney Land mate, Robin Hood Country .

For some parts I will use modelsports as a last resort for traxxas parts, I usually use Mighty Models as he has decent prices but sometimes dollarhobby and jrc have some unbeatable prices, and most of the times I can buy from them and it still works out cheaper then buying from a UK seller.

When I have all the parts arrive for my 4x4 'pede I'll put up some before and after pics of it. Bought the roller for 100 and it had about 110 of upgrades on it already, which was nice.

Nice part of the country mate and wheelspin carry more parts for the pede than anyone else just to let you know........peace