Thread: Temps

RC Enthusiast

Temps

I know that a temp gun only be used as a reference but my question is exactly where to take the temp. Im using a hand held with the red laser and when I point it down into the glow plug I'm getting temps like 160 to 170 but when I point it on the outside of the cooling head, 90 degrees from the exhaust on the back I'm getting around 250. I'm wondering why the big difference and where is the correct place to be taking the temp.

RC Qualifier
    The carburetor side will always be a lot cooler than the exhaust side. You want the temp right in the middle and the best place the get the right number is at the glow plug. 250 is a very good temp to be, at the glow plug. I won't touch the throttle until it's at least 200.

RC Enthusiast
    So your saying down in the cooling head pointing right at the glow plug? I should not pay attention to 260 I am getting on the outside on the cooling fins? The big difference in temps from inside to outside is what has me a little confused.

RC poster
    For me, I found that taking temps at the glow plug was most accurate and consistent. And with a temp gun like yours (with the red laser), sometimes they will read inaccurately up close because of the laser being calibrated to read temps at some distance, rather than right up against the head. Hope this helps!