RC poster

Question for my kids (8 yr old twins never had bigger truck yet)

So a year and a half ago, I bought each of my twin boys a little 1/36 type cars for them. They've been having a blast in the summer here in Montana since they are only 2WD and not for water/snow... They've had so much fun but have been acting like they really would like bigger trucks.

After seeing this released and I like that they are 1/10 size, 4x4 and waterproof. Curious although the trucks may be a little bigger, curious if for 8 year old twin boys if this would be a good option as the first big R/C. The price isn't super expensive but is a little more. Just curious if this would be a great stock option for these type of kids? Not looking to upgrade parts of what we buy, just really curious if this would be great options if I get two of them for their Christmas present in a month or so as stocks?

I want nice ones for them, but curious if this is good or something different?

All of the forums, and what people talk about are more to upgrade or things they don't like, but my boys are beginners and I understand how some people always point out the bad stuff, not possible the good stuff for a beginner...

Thanks for any help!

-Jeff

RC Qualifier
    Looks like a pretty good truck from what Ive seen. IMO, I would more suggest a Stampede 4x4. All the same benifits, but you have a brushless system. Even for a beginers truck, just run it on beginer mode with the stock battery. This way as they progress, youve got a great system and endless upgrades ( future stocking stuffers lol).
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

This truck will be great for an 8 year old. The motor seems to run hot, and it does need an initial break in (by you) and constant maintenance(by you) and keeping an eye on motor temps. The motors may not last long if you do not pay constant attention to them. Traxxas will send you replacement motors if they fail, but a better option would be an electrify s600 motor that will run much cooler and last longer. They are about 20 bucks a piece and will need wires and capacitors soldered to them. Other than the motors, these trucks seem to be bulletproof. So as long as you want to put some work in and a couple more bucks, they will be a perfect choice.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC poster
    The first replies are a little based response that still makes it sound like these trucks may not be good for stock 8 yr old twin boys then? The stampede 4x4 is way more expensive if I'm buying two and the second response makes it sound like there the stock needs enhancements.

Is there such a company out right now that has something 4x4, waterproof, for beginners (8 yr olds) that would work without upgrades? I'll definitely keeping eyes on them when we would get them and keep my boys from being crazy by trying to wreck or break them, but since they are around 300, do they need upgrades?

But based on these two responses, it's making me wonder if I should look at these and wonder if there are better ones out or should I wait till my boys get older before having fun with type of trucks?

Really curious of other peoples thoughts and even traxxas employee thoughts?

Really appreciate the responses so far as they do make me wonder if these new ones might be okay but they both make it sound like I would still have to upgrade stuff which is concerning... Or maybe not do this Christmas this year for my boys...

Thanks

Jeff

RC Qualifier
    I think that brushless is best for beginners, no break in and less maintenance. Although a brushed system can be just as reliable with proper break in and maint. I also think 2-wheel drive is a better option for beginners. They are a lot less complicated than 4x4's, fewer moving parts and easier to work on. Traxxas makes a few very nice brushless 2-wheel drive trucks that are priced reasonably.

You prob will not find a better 4wd vehicle out there for durability, and there will be maintenance with anything hobby grade you buy. If you just want to buy something that will run forever without maintenance, it does not exist in hobby grade rc. This truck, with stock power, will be very hard to break, and cant imagine any other 4wd vehicle available to be more break resistance. They really do not need any upgrades at all unless you put big power in it. Also look at tower hobbies. If you buy a 10$ super saver membership, they will email you special coupons than can save you a ton on large purchases. you can turn a 600$ purchase into a much smaller total. I know you can get 50 or 60$ off of a 300$ order...

edit:
    The stampede 4x4 will be capable of much quicker acceleration, and faster speeds that will cause more wear tear and crash damage. the pede will be more work.
    Last edited by rag6; 09-24-2013 at 02:10 AM.
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Enthusiast
    I own one and while I love it, ive sunk enough money in it I could have easily gotten a BL Stampede. Motor gave out on mine in a week. I will say I was hard on it, but probably no harder than younger boys would be. Ive also broken the bottom of the shock cant remember what is called right now. I dont know how much your planning on spending but Id advise a BL Stampede.

RC Champion
    Your boys will be very happy to get a vehicle like this! It will give them a chance to see the steering in action, see the tires spin, watch the suspension articulate and be able to do some trail, street and obstacle climbing, how cool is that!

Expect to break something though it is far less likely with less speed and no fixed obstacles like walls, curbs, sign posts or large boulders. The part you would likely need will be less than $5. When I got my grandson his first Slash I told him don't worry, there isn't anything on this we can't fix................he sent me a text with a pic of the front wheel being snapped off, he was devastated................$2.50 later we were up and running LOL.

As we all know, heat kills electronics! I think many folks may get over anxious and have two or three or more battery packs charged up and just continuously want to run their rig without taking a cool down break and that is not good. Rag6 sums it up pretty well. I can't see any reason you and the boys won't enjoy what this vehicle has to offer and you as well. If you find a weak point for your particular use it can usually be easily overcome.

Get one and go! Have a blast...............

RC poster
    I appreciate some additional information. Don't get me wrong that I do understand things may break and need a fix. It blows me away that rc car people keep talking about upgrading stock things. I'm into helicopters and while they get really expensive, stock always works usually unless personally someone usually upgrades but I've always been lucky with stocks I've always used for my 500 and large helis...

Im even thinking of getting a third rc truck, maybe the telluride or what ever I get for the boys for Christmas just to have fun with them... I may watch this model for another month or so and see what people still think...

The ones I bought last year was the little 1/36 2x4 cars losi that they have had fun, broke and I've fixed but one works in the summer one the driveway in Montana and why I'm thinking we could have more fun in the spring, fall and winter in our pasture with 4x4 on a bigger truck!

Keeping an eye on those stampede 4x4 or summit but pricing gets huge for stock and people still say upgrades needed... Even though not complete waterproof, I've even looked at those Axial stuff too since traxxas hasn't convince people yet unless this isn't the best forum to be looking although it's the company forum which surprises me... Don't get me wrong, I'm still liking the traxxas stuff, but maybe with it still be so new that it hasn't been completely out yet...

Thanks from everyone so far those, it's just keeping on the edges at least! I may just give it a try this Christmas and find out its perfect!

Jeff

RC Qualifier
    Rag6 and Kwitty, I feel have covered all aspects of hobby grade rc's, and this is a great entry level 4x4 truck. Traxxas support is with you long after your purchase, also this forum and its members are like none other on the internet.

Late Reply
    Last edited by Shaky17; 09-25-2013 at 09:39 AM.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC poster
    Great information! Definitely things I'm keeping in mind, it helps!

Jeff

RC poster
    I do have a question for the people that have bought one and have been either fixing or enhancing even the types...

The little 1/32 losi cars that the boys have played with over the last two summers. There have been a couple times that they broke them or wrecked and I had to get parts and fix them over times. The one time when the front wrecked and there were a few pieces that I replaced but with it being small and maybe with them being Losi, I was wondering is that problem having so many parts being small or something big like this traxxas truck are there less parts some times and easier to fix some times?

I was just thinking and wondering if bigger trucks seem like less parts which make it even easier over time as I want to make sure over time the boys have a better ability to learn how to fix their trucks as the little cars 1/32 were really hard for them to see how to fix granted they were 6-7 years old the last two years and just turned 8...

Curious of a few opinions.

Thanks!

Jeff

It is about 1000x easier to work on this compared to a losi micro(i had one of those, and have a pede 4x4). Parts is parts. It will not have a big difference in the number of parts... just bigger parts.
    Whats in my wallet?

RC poster
    Here's another question seeing as I'm still thinking this would be a blast for my boys around Christmas! I'm a little on the fence for a third one for me just to have fun with the boys... Haha... Anyways, my question is what people think might be good parts to have somewhat "in stock" at my house when normal stuck break or a wreck or such?

If I do this around Christmas and sometimes stores may not have in stock around the holiday. I was thinking from a lot of your guys experience, what is good for parts to have ready so a person can keep playing and not stuck having to wait for parts. I'm not saying to have everything, but wonder if there is a basic group that people think is a good thing to have?

One other question is which battery comes with the truck, how much time does the truck usually run with both normal and training? Wondering if I should get a few batteries for 8yr olds. No worries for a charger as I've got a charger that lets me do nicd up to 7cell lipos.

Thanks again and hopefully I'm not crazy asking these and hopefully help other parents and themselves to for new to R/c trucks...

Jeff

RC poster
    I have just recently bought the Telluride as my first RC ever. As someone who has never had Hobby grade RC I follow the recommendations for making the 12T motor live. I have kept it cool and cleaned it, oiled it, and I think it is still dying a slow death. With that said I do run it pretty hard, a lot of stop and go , jumps , doughnuts. The car itself has held up well for all the abuse I have thrown at it. So far I have bent the front shocks and the lower control arms are really getting beat up from hitting rock and other things. Overall I think it would be great for them but the motor may be an issue. As some people on the forum the motors seem to do much better in a 1/16th scale car. I am in the process of switching to brushless. I have never run the stock battery. I went straight to 2s, 5000 Lipos and I can get a good 30-40 min of run time , with some cool down periods.

You seem ready to make a very large investment... May as well make the jump to lipo. For about 25 bucks each, you can get a 5000 mah lipo from SPC(great company), which is about the same or less than a quality nimh pack. A good charger would also be needed. They have chargers that can charge multiple packs at once.

The parts that this truck shares with the Pede 4x4 are extremely tough. There will not be many weak spots on the telluride running it as it was intended, but the shocks could be the weakest point. The shock shafts can bend, and the plastic caps can pop off. Having replacement TiNi shock shafts, and alum shock caps would be a great idea...
    Whats in my wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by 71 cam View Post
    I have just recently bought the Telluride as my first RC ever. As someone who has never had Hobby grade RC I follow the recommendations for making the 12T motor live. I have kept it cool and cleaned it, oiled it, and I think it is still dying a slow death. With that said I do run it pretty hard, a lot of stop and go , jumps , doughnuts. The car itself has held up well for all the abuse I have thrown at it. So far I have bent the front shocks and the lower control arms are really getting beat up from hitting rock and other things. Overall I think it would be great for them but the motor may be an issue. As some people on the forum the motors seem to do much better in a 1/16th scale car. I am in the process of switching to brushless. I have never run the stock battery. I went straight to 2s, 5000 Lipos and I can get a good 30-40 min of run time , with some cool down periods.
    Donuts can be a great way to kill brushed motors. How hot did it get?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-29-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Well like I said I was watching the temps and keeping them 150-160. The motor has not died completely yet but it is a lot slower and has no low end punch. I'm going out today to get a brushless setup.

RC Qualifier
    jamkak, I highly recommend this truck! With all of the upgrades and technology available, your boys will be enjoying it for a long time to come. I bought a 1/16 Slash 4X4 for my boy before he turned 5. As I already owned a couple of 1/10 scale Slash Ultimates, the one thing I didn't like was the whip antenna! I upgraded his receiver to the 2218X which is compatible to the TQi transmitter with docking base, and gave him my second Tx (at least you won't have this problem)! With the new Rx & Tx, I am able to plug my iPod in and program any percentage of power I want in training mode. Along with a proper break-in and maintenance, he is still running the original Titan motor 18 months later!
    As far as durability, I don't think you will be disappointed. I doubt that they will break more than an A-arm at most! Just make sure you disassemble, clean and lube moving parts regularly, and pay special attention to the bearings.

There is plenty of knowledge here on the Forums. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. And most of all, Welcome to the Hobby!!!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!