Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

1/8 scale Gorillamaxx ERBE build

This project started off with a friend of mine offering to sell me his E-Slayer with RC Monster 1/8 scale diff cases. I was just going to leave it at that but I wanted to do an aluminum chassis like most of my other builds. I've gone back three years or so in the E-revo sections reading all of the major builds and any other threads that seemed interesting to gain a good knowledge of what I'm working with. I decided quickly that I didn't want the Kershaw chassis because it doesn't have bottom bracing that connects everything together underneath.

I came across a full gorillamax G3 roller on ebay and decided to bid on it. I won it and have it now. It's well used but that's okay. I won't have any qualms about bashing it and just leaving it on the shelf. I noticed that the tranny mounts are bent but that's fine. I plan on running either the RC MOnster universal center diff mount or this new center diff mount made by Unlimited Engineering for their High Voltage Lightning Chassis for EMaxx that will come out next week. He is not selling them seperately yet but I have one of those chassis on order so I will be able to see if the CD mount will fit between the g3 frame rails. It really is a nice piece. I will probably run a Vorza center diff.

I have a buddy that works at a waterjet machine shop so I'm thinking of having the bottom plate remade in carbonfiber or aluminum and setting my truck up similar to this one: https://www.rc-monster.com/forum/sho...2&postcount=31

I have lst2 axles and Tekno carriers that I will pull from one of my embe's for this build and will probably run rpm arms after the ones from the roller breaks. I'm at work till October 17 so not much will happen until then. This will probably be a long build but I want to do the ERBE right so hopefully it will be worth the wait.

I did purchase the first mods for this truck. Hardcore racing titanium p2 rocker arms. I'm really not sure what the best size rocker arms to use for all around bashing but it came with p2 so that's what I got. SHould I go with Long Travel?

Here are the pics of the roller:

I'll have to de-anodize the blue ones

I'm all ears for tips and suggestions since this is my first ERBE build. I know I need to upgrade the hingepins and rocker post but I'm unsure which are the best.
    Anza Sl2sh Bandit EMBEx2 Tekno(Revo D8 D8T MBX6)

RC Qualifier
    I was very close to pulling the trigger on this truck. If I recall correctly, winning bid was only like 240 or something, which is a steal given that a gorilla chassis goes for 200 ALONE.

Glad to see it in good hands. Good luck with the build.
    Big Air Don't Care

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Babby View Post
    I was very close to pulling the trigger on this truck. If I recall correctly, winning bid was only like 240 or something, which is a steal given that a gorilla chassis goes for 200 ALONE.

Glad to see it in good hands. Good luck with the build.
    Thanks bud. Yeah $240 was a steal! It should be fun

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Woah, i'm going to follow this one! Didn't think we would see a gorillamax build over here these days . Keep us posted!

RC Champion
    Will do! I've only seen one GorillaMaxx erbe build in the past few years buy user Noir522 and no threads about RCM 1/8 scale diff cases.

RC Champion
    This is the truck I'm buying from my friend: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...53-My-E-Slayer

1000 posts!

RC Qualifier
    You should check this one out:
    http://www.digitalcomplex.org/index....opic=774&st=30
    Gorillamaxx, 1717 motor, slipperential. Whats not to like

As for the rocker posts, stock will hold up for a while, if you want to upgrade get lunsford titanium rocker posts. Same goes for the hingepins, get them from lunsford.

RC Qualifier
    Gregers from UE forum had a nice one.

http://www.gregersblach.dk/maxx/#centerdiffplate

That is just a link I have bookmarked on my phone. I am sure an entire build thread can be found over there as well.
    Last edited by Babby; 09-22-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Big Air Don't Care

the ole Gorillamaxx... For rockers, the LT's are more for crawling. P2 a much better choice..
    GL2U on the build, but don't think you will need it....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    You should check this one out:
    http://www.digitalcomplex.org/index....opic=774&st=30
    Gorillamaxx, 1717 motor, slipperential. Whats not to like

As for the rocker posts, stock will hold up for a while, if you want to upgrade get lunsford titanium rocker posts. Same goes for the hingepins, get them from lunsford.
    That's pretty crazy but I didn't see the gorillamaxx? I feel like 6s is too much..I can't imagine 8s.

Quote Originally Posted by Babby View Post
    Gregers from UE forum had a nice one.

http://www.gregersblach.dk/maxx/#centerdiffplate

That is just a link I have bookmarked on my phone. I am sure an entire build thread can be found over there as well.
    I didn't realize he had a page. I'm probably going to remake the bottom plate with holes for the center diff to mount. I want to make the upper servo mounting plate too with only one servo mount so that the esc can be mounted on the other side in front of the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    the ole Gorillamaxx... For rockers, the LT's are more for crawling. P2 a much better choice..
    GL2U on the build, but don't think you will need it....
    well I'm glad that's what I ordered then!

RC Qualifier
    Apparently the KD has been updated but that gorrilla looks awesome.

Im curious how those rcm diffs work. Does any 1/8 diff fit?

I found a hobby shop that has 2 sets of tekno carriers but they want $43 a set.

Posted by my Galaxy Note 2

RC Champion
    I would get those carriers. If you don't want or need them I could paypal you the money if you could get them for me.

I guess any 1/8 diff would fit. Here is the page: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...id+diff%2Fcase

The KD chassis need to be tied together at the top and bottom of the diff case like this one is imo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    That's pretty crazy but I didn't see the gorillamaxx? I feel like 6s is too much..I can't imagine 8s.

I didn't realize he had a page. I'm probably going to remake the bottom plate with holes for the center diff to mount. I want to make the upper servo mounting plate too with only one servo mount so that the esc can be mounted on the other side in front of the battery.

well I'm glad that's what I ordered then!
    Hm, wait a minute. I meant this build:
    http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...2&postcount=31
    Has the gorillamaxx chassis + slipperential

RC Champion
    I really like that truck a lot! I referenced it in my first post! I want to mount my esc and receiver similar to that one with RCM custom trays. There's really nowhere else to mount the esc.

RC Qualifier
    Ah, didnt see you did. Yep that's one of the best gorillamaxx builds out there. I really like how the esc and receiver are mounted. Everything sits really low, and it just looks great. After i finished my custom bulkheads, i will probably start working on my own chassis, inspired by the Gorillamaxx chassis, and maybe inspired by this build .

Nice score mate...will be following your progress too .
    Rock n Rolla !

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyK View Post
    Ah, didnt see you did. Yep that's one of the best gorillamaxx builds out there. I really like how the esc and receiver are mounted. Everything sits really low, and it just looks great. After i finished my custom bulkheads, i will probably start working on my own chassis, inspired by the Gorillamaxx chassis, and maybe inspired by this build .
    I agree, it's the best gmaxx I came across. If you need me to do anything to help you reproduce your own gmaxx chassis let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by MITCH316 View Post
    Nice score mate...will be following your progress too .
    Thanks! IT was pretty lucky getting it for so cheap. There's another one on ebay right now that is in new condition...I'm just not looking at spending a grand to get it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/gorillamaxx-...item1c36dd38ae

RC Champion
    So I'm thinking of getting some aluminum parts from RD Racing. Thanks Maxx_Adam for the link for Tenko Carriers but $33 for shipping was a little steep. For that price I might as well get these RD Racing carriers. I'm thinking of getting these parts from them. Does anyone have experience with their parts or recommend something better?

If I get these I will de anodize them.

Carriers
    http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/...riers-p-8.html

Servo Saver Mount
    http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/...mount-p-4.html

Front Shock Mount
    http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/...mount-p-6.html

Rear Shock Mount
    http://www.rdracingproducts.com/Zen/...mount-p-7.html

Wooo $100 for knuckles.
    I have never broken a stock knuckle, but customizing it all apart of this hobby.
    Last edited by 87 GN; 09-24-2013 at 06:49 PM.

RC Champion
    well the Tekno carriers are $43 a pair plus $33 shipping from Canada so I might as well get the aluminum ones. Or should I go True Track?

True Track would be a better upgrade

edit the caps are a pain in the neck to get started tho...

RC Champion
    Okay, then I'll go with true track and stock front carriers for now then. I need to figure out how to make lst2 cvds work with them or figure out how to make traxxas cvds work with the Hot Bodies diffs. I guess it would be easiest to use these and go with Traxxas cvds: http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...f+output+shaft

If I do that I won't be living up to the 1/8 scale theme though

RC Champion
    I forgot that mistercrash used lst2 cvds with stock carriers. It looks like I can pay $10 per bearing for 8X15X5 or enlarge the outer hole and use 8x16x5 bearings.

RC Qualifier
    There are multiple options to use the LST shafts:

Stock carriers and LST diffs (which you don't have, but might be useful info)
    - Enlarge the outer hole of the stock carriers to accept 8X16X5 bearings
    - Press fit 2 15x21x4 inner bearings in the stock carriers. You need 2 bearings, because the stock LST drive cups are a little short, the extra bearing acts as a spacer

Stock carriers and LST with RC monster drive cups (which you don't have, but might be useful info)
    - Enlarge the outer hole of the stock carriers to accept 8X16X5 bearings
    - Press fit 1 15x21x4 inner bearings in the stock carriers. The RC monster drive cup is larger than the stock LST drive cup, so you only need 1 bearing, and everything will fit ok

RD racing carriers and LST diffs
    - No adjustments need to be made on the outer bearing, just use a 8x16x5 bearing
    - Use 2 15x21x4 bearings. The holes in the RD racing carriers are 21.4mm, so you will need to use a very thin piece of metal to create a small sleeve that keeps the bearings snug into place. Another option is one layer of gorilla tape, but that's not so tidy .

RD racing carriers and LST diffs with RC monster drive cups
    - No adjustments need to be made on the outer bearing, just use a 8x16x5 bearing
    - Use 1 15x21x4 bearing. The holes in the RD racing carriers are 21.4mm, so you will need to use a very thin piece of metal to create a small sleeve that keeps the bearing snug into place. Another option is one layer of gorilla tape, but that's not so tidy .

I am going for the last option, as i have RD racing carriers, and RC monster drive cups mounted on my LST diffs. I'm going to use 6x16x5 outer bearings though, as i have HPP hexes, and want to keep using these. Therefore i designed my own stub axle, ready to be made out of titanium:

RD racing carriers:

1/8 driveline:

With RC monster drive cups

I really like the RD racing carriers, feels like a quality product and i really like the set screw for your pillow balls. One thing i noticed though, is that its hard to set your pillow ball retainers right. I almost could not do it without having too much play in the pillow balls, so i ended up using some silicone spray to see if that helps, and yep, it seems the aluminum on steel needs some lubrication to make them work better. I still need to buy some dry lube to use instead of the silicone spray.
    Last edited by WesleyK; 09-25-2013 at 03:41 AM.

RC Champion
    thanks for all the info! I think I'll go with the first option for now but with Hot Bodies diffs. Would you be able to have another set of those titanium stubs made for me? I'll be sure to order some dry lube too.

RC Qualifier
    Do the LST axles fit the Hot Bodies diffs?

I can sure look into it, i should receive a 3D printed version of my stub axle today, to see if it fits. If it fits i'm going to have the titanium stub axle made.

I already bought a titanium bar some time ago, its 310mm long and 19mm in diameter.
    The stub axles are 36mm long, so one bar should be just enough for 8 stub axles. But it's a bit tricky though, if my machine shop only makes one little mistake they can only make 7 stub axles. So I might need to buy some more.
    I bought the titanium bar here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19MM-TITAN...item3f22f06b83
    So if they are short of material it's always possible to get a 100mm piece, this eBay shop does accept lower offers than they are asking, so the price is not that bad. Send me a PM if you are still interested

Edit: This the final design:
    Last edited by WesleyK; 09-25-2013 at 04:26 AM.

RC Champion
    The hotbodies cups fit the LST2 cvd's perfectly. But if I need more cup for your stubs I can switch to RCM cups.

RC Champion
    I ordered the RPM true track and I talked to my buddy about making a custom bottom plate and servo plate that only holds one servo. I also talked to him about making new braces sine it seems like the ones I have might be bent. He said it shouldn't be a problem to do all that. I'm going to get with hime when I get home in two weeks to get the parts into autocad.

RC Champion
    And the RC Monster universal motor mount has been ordered
    http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...%2FMotor+Mount

RC Qualifier
    Did you already figure out what centerdifferential you are gonna use?

RC Champion
    I'm going to use HPI Vorza diffs since they are only $21. I never had a problem with them in my vorza or D8t.

RC Champion
    I went to my buddy's house today to pick up the diff and motor donor. He had two truck with RCM diffs so I picked the ERevo instead of the ESlayer. It has hpp wheel hubs and motor braces, RCM diff cases, RCSolutions roll cage, hitec tg servo, aluminum servo saver, RPM true trak, traxxas aluminum push rods, lunsford rocker post and mamba monster 2200

with the new supermaxx

I plan on taking it completely apart and cleaning or replacing all the bearings and every other part.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Wow dude you got that Gorillamaxx ERBE for a great deal. Man!! So you just added another ERBE to the collection to? Sheeesh they both look clean.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    well they are supposed to be merged into one erbe. The gorillamaxx was bought just for the chassis. The rest of it is pretty beat up...well so is the chassis. I bought the 2nd truck because it has the super rare RC MOnster 1/8 scale diff cases in it and for the motor and esc. This project isn't going anywhere anytime soon though. My buddy is trying to refabricate some of the chassis right now

Oh how sweet. I've been wanting to do the LST2 diff mod on my ERBE. Just havent had a chance to gather the stuff and build them. I might be ok though, I mainly run 4S which is fast enough. I just like the bullet proof part. I got the parts list from Mich316. Maybe that's something you could help me with in the future. LOL
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I'm just glad I don't have to do that mod. Seems like all I read about is broken diffs or broken bulkheads because of the LST diffs. I just put an rx in the erbe I bought and put some 2s batteries. This thing is a lot of fun! I got half way through the packs and the servo horn stripped out. It was a plastic one. I put an aluminum horn on and went on about bashing it. I drained the packs without anything else breaking. That's what I call a great success! Somehow I was able to do one backflip but I couldn't repeat it. I'd like to run 5s on it but that would require buying two new batteries. I've never experienced badlands except the knockoff buggy wheels from suprasells but I'm a believer now. They are awesome!

I had to modify the chassis a little for my batteries to work. I really need to strip this thing down and clean everything and go through it..maybe dye the chassis and put a center diff in it. I haven't heard from my buddy that was working on my chassis which pretty much means he hasn't yet. Oh well no rush. At least I have a running erbe right now.

I don't like using this type of battery on here. I ripped out the leads twice

RC Qualifier
    The erevo is a great truck, you can have it as a monster truck and bash or set it up as a buggy with bumpers and a full body. I just wish traxxas had a full 1/8th drive line with diffs and 8mm stubs on steel cvds. The price you pay for an erevoi can't see why not.

I really like your builds, I was going to buy an associated rival but ive already got an emaxx with rpm everywhere, so it guess it will be cheaper to buy an flm chassis and hybrid bulks. Im going to call a machinest and see what it would cost to get some bearings for 8mm stubs put in

Posted by my Galaxy tab 3 8"

RC Champion
    I might be going to a track this weekend to test it out. I don't understand why traxxas doesn't up the game. You might as well upgrade the emaxx. It's great to have an 1/8 scale drivetrain in one for sure.

I guess that's why I havent updated the diffs. I mainly run it on 4S, 6S was just crazy fast. So far its been a great truck and no broken parts. LOL The one thing i'm not fond of and i know they had a good idea is the battery trays. They sure limit the type of pack you can run. At least you don't have to worry about them flying out. I picked up my Erevo used to, the guy before me cut a slit down on the battery tray towards the middle of the truck to fit some fat 3S packs. They were venom low "c", I ended up giving those things away.

What day and which track? Maybe we could meet at one. I know my boy would enjoy it. If not we can get together and bash.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I'm thinking Sunday after church in Alvin at Ultimate RC http://www.rccoh.com/rc.tracks/vertigo.html. Can you make that?