Hybrid View

RC poster

high revs but going slow

I just got a stampede to beat on and its reving fine but moves slow. The first day i had it this wasnt an issue.. does it sound like just a tuning problem? I checked inside the clutch bell and everything looks fine.

Slipper clutch is loose.
    The Super Derecho

+1, it sounds like your slipper clutch is loose.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    Well i tightened it to the point where it rolled without pulling the trigger.. still seems like its straining to move

Well i tightened it to the point where it rolled without pulling the trigger.. still seems like its straining to move
    Sounds like something is binding in the drive train...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

you might have stripped the idler gear in the tranny case. common to strip if the slipper was too tight to start with i know from experience. Its plastic and bound to happen. its a $3 part or you can make or upgrade to the nitro slash idler gear its metal and works alot better than the plastic from what i have heard and with not additional wear on the diff either. Take a look inside there its a little work to get the tranny off but worth it to find out whats causing that. Also check on the axles you might have had one slip off or lost the pin to one that connects to the tranny out put shafts. those are what i checked when mine did that not moving but Revs up fine.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC poster
    I will check all of those tomorrow.. it moves but only around 10 mph and is reving like crazy

ok i think I may have found the problem. I pulled the slipper clutch off today (dual friction type) and there were actually grooves worn into the spur gear. I sanded the spur gear and scraped the caked on plastic off the friction disk hoping it might fix the problem. I think its so far gone that im gonna just have to replace the spur gear atleast. I put it back together and took it for a run.. at first it was doing the same, revving fine, then slowly start to pick up speed. by time I shut if off I could get pretty decent speed with a longer run, wot from a dead stop it just revved and took off slowly. Am I on the right track thinking its the slipper clutch (spur gear) being worn too much for it to grab?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-26-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: merge

Actually, the pressure plates aren't supposed to be riding on the spur gear. There are friction pegs that go into the little holes on the spur gear; those are what the pressure plates are supposed to ride on.

Pick up a new spur gear, a pack of slipper friction pegs, and properly adjust the slipper clutch and you should be back in business.

Part numbers:
    Spur gear: 3166 (factory 66-tooth)
    Friction Pegs: 4685
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

This would have been my next suggestion if it hadnt been posted. I ran mine for a while without the slipper pegs and seemed to be OK but in time it was not so I got them and all was good till I sold it. Hated selling my nitro pede great truck to run just the right size.
    Last edited by mike-susieq1; 09-26-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    DEU 8:18 ESV