RC Enthusiast

should i get a lipo

i have been in the hobby for about 9 months and i started out with a brushed rustler. after a few months i got sick of how slow it went. so i the upgrade to the velenion system. and i have been very happy with it. however i have been only running the stock 7 cell nimh batteries. now once again i am looking for more speed. i m not sure if i should get a 5 series 8 cell nimh from traxxas or a lipo.

RC Qualifier
    Lipos are night and day improvement. You absolutely should get one as soon as possible.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks put im a little worried i heard that they catch fire more easily

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by brushless vxl View Post
    Yes they will catch fire if you disrespect them. Follow manufacturers instructions use your head and you will be fine. PM me if you want and i'll help you the best I can. I love my lipos wish I would have made the jump earlier than I did.

RC Qualifier
    You have reason to be concerned. Follow all the manufacturers recommendations and you will be fine.

I had the exact same concerns as you and now I use them exclusively. I store them I a fireproof safe and use LiPo bags when charging them.

So does the gasoline you pump into your car or lawnmower. With the proper precautions and respect there is nothing to worry about.
    The Super Derecho

The older ones of us have probably seen more NiMH packs pop than LiPos catch fire. In both cases there is one thing in common: abuse. LiPo packs are no more or less dangerous than any other energy-dense product. Get some quality packs and do your research on how to treat them and you will not have a hint of a problem.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    The older ones of us have probably seen more NiMH packs pop than LiPos catch fire. In both cases there is one thing in common: abuse. LiPo packs are no more or less dangerous than any other energy-dense product. Get some quality packs and do your research on how to treat them and you will not have a hint of a problem.
    Excellent response!

I to, have seen more NiMH/NiCD packs pop than LiPo.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pro mod steve View Post
    Yes they will catch fire if you disrespect them. Follow manufacturers instructions use your head and you will be fine. PM me if you want and i'll help you the best I can. I love my lipos wish I would have made the jump earlier than I did.
    Let me update my post Jimmie Neutron would be the guy to talk to. He personally helped me with some lipo issues and deffinately knows his stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Get lipo as soon as posible.