RC Qualifier

Castle Creations ESC

So after many good runs my Castle Creations ESC stopped working essentially. I don't know what happened. When I went to go use it again, I connected my battery and nothing. Just the usual spark when I connect the battery. I thought it could have been from a solder joint gone bad or coming loose so I even resoldered that connection and still nothing. Could have run and used the esc with a poor solder connection on one wire over time killed my esc? Is there any other way to test the esc to see if there is any life? Its about 4 years old and been used gently. I'm just trying to figure out what could have caused it to fail on me!

Do you still use the on/off switch? Have you checked that? It is the most common point of failure.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Yes, that was a problem earlier. So what I was doing was leaving the on/off switch on....and would be then able to turn the car on by simply connecting the battery and vice versa to turn the car off. After my one run, I disconnected the battery...and then later that day I went to go use my emaxx again and connected the battery...and nothing....just a spark.........the spark was noticeably coming from the positive red wire......but....I don't know...maybe the esc is fried...?...!........any other suggestions?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Just leaving it on does not eliminate the issue... it still could be the switch.

The only way to test that is to remove it and join the two wires... hard wiring the ESC into the on position.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, i'll have to try that. Do I just essentially solder the two little wires together by fraying them up and twisting them together and using a little bit of solder to join them?

I find it better to twist each wire individually, tin them, slide shrink tube down one, and then lay them side by side to solder then together in a loop.

What Usman is describing is pretty much a splice. I'm not sure any other method is better. It is always good to have a quality mechanical joint prior to the addition of solder.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Thing is toast. It probably literally needs just a 10 dollar component inside only if I knew how to service the inside i'd be good to go, i'll be sending this in for a MM2 !

I'm pleased with my MM2!