RC Racer

4 Tec can't start.

So I was trying to start my 4 tec last night. It couldn't start.
    Check the glow plug it's fine. It looks like the fuel line is not pushing the fuel up.

Any one experience this problem ?

Engines need four components to run: air, fuel, compression and glow. Air and glow are easy to check. If it is a fuel issue the pipe needs to have proper pressure to push the fuel through the line. Any break or hole will not allow this to happen. If that is all buttoned up fine then the carb is blocked not allowing the fuel to flow in.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by B-4X4 View Post
    So I was trying to start my 4 tec last night. It couldn't start.
    Check the glow plug it's fine. It looks like the fuel line is not pushing the fuel up.

Any one experience this problem ?

Put your finger on the exhaust pipe hole, while cranking the pullstart or ez-starter. That should allow gas to travel up the lines and into the engine.
    Bandit RC Racing
    Methuen, MA 01844

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit RC Racing View Post
    Put your finger on the exhaust pipe hole, while cranking the pullstart or ez-starter. That should allow gas to travel up the lines and into the engine.
    I did that but there was no fuel coming from the line as well.
    But when I try sucking the fuel line there was fuel coming come.

Any idea what this could be ?

Would a bad lead wire cause that ? I notice the lead wire to the glow plug a little bit damage.

RC Champion
    a few more things to try.. I don't know which of the two lines you tried sucking thru.. blow thru the lines instead of sucking.. a mouthful of nitro fuel is not a pretty thing.. take each line off and pinch one end and blow thru the other. No air should escape.. best to replace them while they are off anyway. Next, blow thru the line attached to the carb. You should be able to blow thru it pretty easily and hear the air going into the carb.. If not your carb is blocked.. Do the same for the fuel tank, but leave the lid open.. you should hear the air going into the tank as long as the other hose is pinched.. Close the lid tight and you should immediately build up pressure.. If no air goes in, you have a block at the tank.. just do one area at a time until you find the problem. You can do some of this with fuel in the tank or not, but I prefer not to make a mess and get fuel everywhere, plus its not cheap. The glow plug wire doesn't have anything to do with fuel getting to the carb, but it can lead to a motor not starting because the plug won't heat up.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    a few more things to try.. I don't know which of the two lines you tried sucking thru.. blow thru the lines instead of sucking.. a mouthful of nitro fuel is not a pretty thing.. take each line off and pinch one end and blow thru the other. No air should escape.. best to replace them while they are off anyway. Next, blow thru the line attached to the carb. You should be able to blow thru it pretty easily and hear the air going into the carb.. If not your carb is blocked.. Do the same for the fuel tank, but leave the lid open.. you should hear the air going into the tank as long as the other hose is pinched.. Close the lid tight and you should immediately build up pressure.. If no air goes in, you have a block at the tank.. just do one area at a time until you find the problem. You can do some of this with fuel in the tank or not, but I prefer not to make a mess and get fuel everywhere, plus its not cheap. The glow plug wire doesn't have anything to do with fuel getting to the carb, but it can lead to a motor not starting because the plug won't heat up.
    So I finally got it to start up last night. But the performance is very poor.

RC Champion
    If all the lines are clear, check the glow plug again for proper operation... Then go back to factory setting for the motor and tune from there.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    If all the lines are clear, check the glow plug again for proper operation... Then go back to factory setting for the motor and tune from there.
    Thanks for the advice ! Will try it again tonight.

How old is your fuel? Many times aged fuel can cause starting issues and once you do get it fired up the engine runs poorly. I try not to let fuel sit around longer than 6 months to a year. It needs to be stored somewhere that's climate controlled, cool, dry and preferably away from sunlight. Always cap the bottle tightly when not in use.

Seen many a hobbyist fight the engine till they turn blue and it was something as simple as the fuel...