RC Qualifier

wheel / tire glue ??

I am running aluminum rims with some nice hard drift tires, havent shredded em like all the others LOL.

Well no matter how much crazy glue I use...if I start doing donuts...one or more of the tires comes flying off and then I gotta chase it .

I might look into bead lockers.... but what glue are you guys using?

RC Qualifier
    In my experiences bead lock wheels don't hold as well as glued. I use AKA premium tire glue, it's served me well.

RC Champion
    I've used several different kinds of glue including Gorilla Glue and they all basically work the same way. I wouldn't say one is better than the other except you want to use thin glue.. It gets into the tiniest of cracks. Drifting is very tough on tires so I can't say for certain anything is going to work. One thing to keep in mind is technique for gluing tires. You need a clean grease free surface and scuff up the wheel and tires before bonding them together.. There is no shortcuts... You also now understand why I only run foams on my 4tec.. got tires of replacing rubber
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    what foam tires r u using? how do they perform?

RC Champion
    I don't have any particular brand that I would recommend for the car other than go with a medium compound. I've purchased expensive ones, GRP as well as cheaper ones from ebay.. while the GRP's have more grip, they don't last as long and cost quite a bit more.. I've had good luck with BSR's as well.. From the best to the worst, they are much better for the car as far as handling then any rubber tire I've run. Only drawback. You need a smooth, clean, dust free road. Crashes tend to rip chunks off the tires
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

Have you tried roughing up the bead surface of the aluminum wheel with some sandpaper. Some 220 grit may help give it a better bod with the tires.

I have maximizer beadlocks and they have never let loose running 4s on my ERBE. this may be a different story with the 4-tec though.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

I would use a high quality CA glue from a LHS that has a thin to med-thin consistency. (Traxxas offers 100+mph glue, part number 6468.) If the glue is yellowish looking don't use it, probably gone bad. Good CA should be clear or just slightly off clear.

Make sure you scuff the rim and tire with some fine sandpaper. This gives the glue extra contact area. Then clean both beads (rim and tire) really well with rubbing alcohol or some other cleaner that does not leave a film behind. Let them dry for a bit just to be sure.

After you mount tire to rim pull back the edge and get a bit of glue down into the gap. Slowly let the tire back onto the rim where the glue is and at the same time pull the tire away right next to the glue patch. This will keep the bubble of glue moving around as you keep pulling / releasing the tire. You want glue all the way in the bead and a small line above the tire/rim joint after the tire is seated in place. Apply more glue as needed. This takes some practice to get it right so start on the back side of the rim first, any mess ups will be hidden. (As with anything there are many ways to do this, I've found this works best for me.)

I always let the glue dry for at least several hours on high speed vehicles. Preferably overnight. CA is wonderful in that it has a really quick tack time but I've had best results in being patient and waiting.

After running the car for a few passes stop and check the glue joint. You'll quickly see any areas that have poor adhesion and you can fix them before the tire shreds. Just make sure you clean the area first, nitro fuel makes a big mess with the oil. If you catch the failed joint before it works too far around the rim you can literally run the tires till they wear out.

Hope this helps.

RC Qualifier
    when a tire runs away from you doing 70 mph ya dont always get em back, they get lost.

I am still completely in the dark regarding foam tires.... got a link?

I have been using drift tires because they dont seam to wear out at all, certainly not as much grip though and speed / handling suffer.