Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Champion
    What gps unit is that and do you have to have telemetry for it to work?

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Holy Banana in the tail pipe..that horn is a horney piece of kit...that pinion is massive...Lol...looking good mr viperZ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Holy Banana in the tail pipe..that horn is a horney piece of kit...that pinion is massive...Lol...looking good mr viperZ
    Too funny Simon!

RC Champion
    I was going through some pictures and this one really spoke to me for some reason.... I really like it for it reminds me, RC car or full sized car, when you pop the hood of something special, everyone wants a look!

RC Champion
    maybe it's just me but he XO-1 looks small compared to the Rally in this photo. nice shot by the way.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    maybe it's just me but he XO-1 looks small compared to the Rally in this photo. nice shot by the way.
    Thanks! Well the Rally is wider by about 5-7mm, and it is taller.... I'm sure the body and foreground are adding to it.

Here is another shot. I suppose it should not be a real surprise they are close as even though the Rally is said to be a 1/10 scale, it is actually a 1/8 scale car now. The XO-1 being a 1/7 scale if they were on the street it would be like comparing a Bugatti Veyron to a Ford Focus... The Focus would look big compared to the Veyron. Just guessing

RC Champion
    Okay!! I received my Futaba GYC430 Gyro today, looking forward to installing this and seeing how it works out

It nice and small form factor, smaller than I would have thought.

RC Qualifier
    That's so cool!!!! I can't wait to see it in action as well.

RC Qualifier
    Post 85....that is a classic pic...had a good chuckle as your soooooo true......i think it's the petrol heads in us boys that are fascinated with engine stuff..of motors in rc cars....looking forward to your gyro testing....keep up your most excellent work.....I feel the need....the need for speed

RC Champion
    Thanks Simon, I'll look at testing it on the car the weekend hopefully

I got the gyro installed last night. It was straight forward and easy to install and set-up. I placed it near center of the car. Although Futaba does not tell you where to put it, they do show a depiction of it at the center point of the car.

To wire it up, you plug in a connecter running from port 1, to the Rx steering servo (channel 1), next run a wire from port 2 to an open channel on the Rx. I used channel 4, this allows gain adjustment from the Tx. Last the steering servo plugs in to port 3, and you're done.

Power up the system, ensure the steering is working from lock to lock and that the gyro steers the wheels in the right direction when the chassis is slid out left or right. The gyro can be mounted in any 360 degree orientation to the car.

Bench tests shows this system to work really slick! I'm sure it will take some adjustment to get to tuned in to the car, however having the gain on the Tx makes it an easy task. You can dial it right out effectively making the gyro non-existent.

Here is the gyro size relative to the car

Wired up and taped in place

Channel 4 on the Tx serves as the gain adjustment knob of the gyro

Powered up and tested

Here is a Video of the Gyro in action

Last edited by cooleocool; 10-12-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Wow......that is soooooo cool and never really understood how they work....great vid and understanding of how the gyro works....your car is awesome....U2...where the streets have no name is in my top 20 all time fav songs.....good guitar by the edge

RC Champion
    Thanks man! Yeah, that's one of my all time favorite songs too!

Taking the family out for breakfast, and may get a chance to run it latter, if not maybe sometime this weekend yet

RC poster
    I would like to ask what aluminium arms are you running? Also was curious if the gyro would work with a 3 ch tx/rx setup, like from the older 3pk's 2.4 setups? If i was to get an XO-1 i would like to swap rx also so i can use my trusty old 3pks with 2.4 and remove the telementry.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hirevn View Post
    I would like to ask what aluminium arms are you running? Also was curious if the gyro would work with a 3 ch tx/rx setup, like from the older 3pk's 2.4 setups? If i was to get an XO-1 i would like to swap rx also so i can use my trusty old 3pks with 2.4 and remove the telementry.
    The aluminum arms are FA I do believe. The XO-1 and Slash 4x4 arms look to be the same to me, so I 'm sure you can run anything made for the Traxxas Slash 4x4 or similar.

Yes the GYC430 gyro only needs an open channel, the only thing I'm not sure about is how well the remote gain adjust would work if that open channel is a positional switch on your Tx. Regardless the gryo will still work even if you don't have an open channel, as you can still adjust the gain on the gyro itself. The Tx adjust just makes it soo handy and usable.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info, i am pretty sure my 3pks has a few 3rd channel options with some being adjustable so you could adjust the gain vs an on\off type switch. I will have to check my radio when i get back home next week. I have been doing a lot of research on the car and really thinking on pulling the trigger Monday, too bad winter (and dreaded snow) is so close here

RC Racer
    What GPS is that you are running? And do you plan on installing the Ti Turnbuckles? Or have you? Thoughts on the Ti- Turnbuckles?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hirevn View Post
    Thanks for the info, i am pretty sure my 3pks has a few 3rd channel options with some being adjustable so you could adjust the gain vs an on\off type switch. I will have to check my radio when i get back home next week. I have been doing a lot of research on the car and really thinking on pulling the trigger Monday, too bad winter (and dreaded snow) is so close here
    Yes it is too bad about winter Good luck with it! Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR View Post
    What GPS is that you are running? And do you plan on installing the Ti Turnbuckles? Or have you? Thoughts on the Ti- Turnbuckles?

I have sent you a PM. The Titanium turn buckles are for my Rally/GT8 conversion, here is the link http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5589836

I installed them the other day. They are really nice! So much so I will probably get another set for the XO-1 and my Ultimate. Just because I like things like this I really like the adjusting wrench that came with them.

RC Racer
    Have you installed or purchased the Ti buckles yet? Wondering which ones to get, and how they turn out on yours. So you have a part number for the ones for th xo1? I've been searching -guess not well enough- for a set or my Rally.

Thanks.

RC Champion
    No I haven't yet sorted that out yet. I will be getting the T-Works units again. It looks like 4 x 50 to 60mm ones are required for the XO-1.

RC Racer
    Question is: should I get a thicker set and beef up the rod ends with RPM rod ends? Or stick with stock thickness and upgrade to the RPM rod ends anyways. Is T Works the brand, do you recommend a reputation website to order from?

RC Champion
    Well you could increase the rod diameter form 4mm to 5mm, however I don't see a reason to. Also the Stock rod ends seem good enough so really it's your call. I replaced my Ultimate's and Rally rod ends with RPM ones that I dyed myself, and I have a set for my XO-1 that I'm going to dye.

I bought my T Works off ebay form a seller named dogboneking.

RC Qualifier
    Good to see this thread back on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Yeah, for a bit I was worried I'd have to start all over again

Back on track... Anybody use the Red coils springs from a Revo on their XO-1? I received my Revo Shocks that I'm planning on putting on my Rally, however the Green & White marked, Red springs seem a bit stiff for the Rally/GT8.

I was thinking I could take the White/Blue OEM ones off the XO-1 put them on the Rally/GT8, then put these Red/Green/White ones on the XO-1....

RC Champion
    You can use the red springs. Just check the spring rate (designated by the color marks) and make sure they're not too stiff.

Jeremy
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
    You can use the red springs. Just check the spring rate (designated by the color marks) and make sure they're not too stiff.

Jeremy
    This is all I know...

• 5435 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (2.6 rate yellow)
    • 5436 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (2.9 rate white)
    • 5437 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (3.2 rate orange)
    • 5438 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (3.5 rate green)
    • 5439 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (3.8 rate gold)
    • 5440 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (4.1 rate tan)
    • 5441 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (4.4 rate black)
    • 5444 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (5.9 rate blue)
    • 5445 Spring, shock (red) (GTR) (6.4 rate purple)
    • 5648 Spring, shock (red) (long) (GTR) (4.9 rate double yellow stripe)
    • 5649 Spring, shock (red) (long) (GTR) (5.4 rate double orange stripe)

It would seem I have the White 2.9 and Green 3.5

From my quick search it would seem the White/Blue springs that came with my X0-1 would be 1.6

RC Champion
    I decided to install the GTR Reds onto my Rally/GT8 build. Does it ever make the chassis stiff with no roll. It feels it should really handle well.

I'll keep running the XO-1 with the OEM set up for now. I hope to get a chance to run it this weekend with the new GPS, Gyro and 34t pinion.

RC Qualifier
    I hope sooooooooo toooooooooooo viperZ .......tear up that Tarmac......

RC Champion
    ^^^ No chance today, it was raining all day

RC Champion
    Well, that could be it for the season... Snowed a little last night. It maybe gone in a few days, but the temps have dropped to the point where there will be no traction anyway.

I'm going to swap out to snow tires on my full sized cars and prepare others for storage, full size and RC

RC Enthusiast
    woah that blue body is awesome

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Username4563 View Post
    woah that blue body is awesome
    It's available OEM, or through Dollar Hobbyz

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Well, that could be it for the season... Snowed a little last night. It maybe gone in a few days, but the temps have dropped to the point where there will be no traction anyway.

I'm going to swap out to snow tires on my full sized cars and prepare others for storage, full size and RC
    that's a shame......still im sure you have a trick or two up your sleeve?....

RC Enthusiast
    Your project has been a great read... some nice ideas I might use if that's ok...
    PROJECT XO-1 IS UNDERWAY...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    that's a shame......still im sure you have a trick or two up your sleeve?....
    Yeah, How about a brand new SUV?

Quote Originally Posted by rynaldo View Post
    Your project has been a great read... some nice ideas I might use if that's ok...
    Thanks so much! For sure, what ever you need, let me know if you need any help at all

RC Champion
    yea this is a good thread Viper, however I received some news this week that's gonna prevent me from receiving an xo-1 this Christmas. Me and the wife got our military orders to Colorado at Buckley Air Force base and im pretty sure its snowy around Christmas time out there. we'll be there in January 2014 so with the move from So-cal to Colorado, we're already preparing. I already had my list for parts/upgrades/extras I was going to buy for the XO-1 but that will have to wait.

RC Champion
    Thanks, and Congrats on your posting! The timing does suck, but I can't help thinking "Military Air Strip?" That's gots to have some good smooth lengths to let a XO-1 stretch its legs run

You could always build it as a Shelf Queen, until its ready to run... I would not think any lesser of you

RC Enthusiast
    I have a brand new PLS to install... Could use your help... do you miss the iPod Telementry now it's gone??? Any other advice when I decide to install it!???

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Yeah, How about a brand new SUV?

Thanks so much! For sure, what ever you need, let me know if you need any help at all
    PROJECT XO-1 IS UNDERWAY...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rynaldo View Post
    I have a brand new PLS to install... Could use your help... do you miss the iPod Telementry now it's gone??? Any other advice when I decide to install it!???

Do I miss the Telemetry...? Not even Who has time for that jazz when you're driving? I carry a radar gun and temperature gun, which I suspect is much more accurate anyways.

The feel of the 4PLS is so much more responsive and connected to any car, its a required investment for me

You will need to use your TQi and Ipod to unlock the ESC, then connect the ESC to your PC with Castle Link to disable Castle Link Live. From there you are good to go with the Futaba system, with no regrets....

RC Enthusiast
    Another RC looking good!! At least this thread was short, lol. So really, what's the deal? Nobody has a Stampede?

RC Qualifier
    Full size real SUV?....or scale version?