Thread: Help me....

RC Qualifier

Help me....

Well, I have a problem. The valves in my Honda CRF 230F are ticking really bad, and the guys said it costs $75!! I can learn for that much, and he wouldn't even get it done until next Wednesday. So I am going to try and fix them myself, but I don't know if I need any special tools or anything. Anybody every do this or have any idea how?? Please help cause I really want to ride this weekend.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Qualifier
    If you insist on doing it yourself, I understand I'm the same way. Get a repair manual and it will tell you what tools are needed and how to do it, with the proper specs. The manual and tools will probably cost you that $75, but you'll be able to do it as many more times as needed for free.

RC Competitor
    From the way you put it you need to adjust them. Not a whole big deal. Just get a manual with OEM specs, an allen wrench(or whatever you need) this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-68050 or similar and maybe a new gasket just on case.

RC Qualifier
    So I think I am going to have the guy do it this time since I don't have the proper tools, but I am going to hopefully get my own set of tools in the near future. I may just ask for some tools and a tool box for Christmas since next summer I am planning on buying a Brand New KTM 500 EXC and making it into a Street Legal Supermoto. Yeah, I know I am gonna be turning 16 next year, and that is why I want that bike. A lot of power, the newer one is lighter and faster, and I am gonna have a couple good jobs though so I hope I can make enough to get everything!!
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit

RC Competitor
    A guy can never have enough tools, unless you ask my wife.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverLude View Post
    A guy can never have enough tools, unless you ask my wife.
    Seriously. I buy tools from the tool truck at work that I don't even have a use for. I have all kinds of tools. There's not much when it comes to cars, rc's and handyman stuff around the house that I don't have a tool for. Your 16, start buying and collecting tools now, and before you know it, you'll have all kinds. If you're gonna ask for tools for Christmas. Ask for a craftsman mechanics kit. Mine is the 154 piece set. They're around 150 $ at sears, but usually around christmas the price gets dropped to 99 $ and it's a great all around kit.
    Last edited by the finisher; 09-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    addicted much....

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by the finisher View Post
    If you're gonna ask for tools for Christmas. Ask for a craftsman mechanics kit. Mine is the 154 piece set. They're around 150 $ at sears, but usually around christmas the price gets dropped to 99 $ and it's a great all around kit.
    The best part about tools is you don't have to go all out to start with, a little here a little there. Hit up yard sales and flea markets as well. Craftsman still has that lifetime warranty if you buy a bad tool. Just take it to them and they replace it free.

RC Qualifier
    Yessir. Garage sales would be a great place to start.
    addicted much....

RC Qualifier
    Okay. I will look around for garage sales and I will check my local Buylines to see if anyone is selling tools. I actually want to become a Mechanic when I am older though!! I think I might go to UTI, but I don't know quite yet. I think I am going to lean about Diesel Engines, then Gasoline, and then Motorcycles so when I build my own little shop I will know everything. I am gonna get a job at an actual mechanic shop first though. All that would be about 3 years of schooling though because the Courses are 51 Weeks Long.
    Dirt Slingerz Racing
    Slash VXL - Summit