RC Competitor

clicking sound on acceleration

hey guys i have been getting a clicking sound on fast acceleration. ive been reading a bit on here about the rear diff ? was wondering if i bought this if it would fix it http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-TRAXXAS-1...a19eb3a&_uhb=1

You don't need a new bulkhead. Just replacing ring and pinion gear of the diff will solve the clicking problem. There are several threads about diff shimming.
    That set is quite cheap by the way.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    The little 1/16 guys are prone to stripping the ring and pinion. I replaced and shimmed mine when it started clicking..... stripped the new one pretty quickly after that. I now wait till there good and destroyed before replacing them. You ARE NOT GOING TO HURT ANYTHING by continueing driving with the clicking. At the moment both my front and rear are shot, but still drives and is a lot of fun.

RC Competitor
    okay so nothing else will be hurt if i continue to drive it for a bit ? sorry i dont know much about working on these rc cars yet.. i will probably take it to my hobby shop

a stripped pinion and diff will just give you poor performance and the bugging of the noise it did for me till my parts came in to fix and replace them. Your rc will not travel at full speed since the diffs is slipping it can cause the motor to spin a little faster since it does not have the diff and pinion grabbing.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    a stripped pinion and diff will just give you poor performance and the bugging of the noise it did for me till my parts came in to fix and replace them. Your rc will not travel at full speed since the diffs is slipping it can cause the motor to spin a little faster since it does not have the diff and pinion grabbing.
    is it bad for the motor to spin that fast though ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The VXL ESC has a rev limiter.

If you are so hesitant to run it, don't.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    The VXL ESC has a rev limiter.

If you are so hesitant to run it, don't.
    okay thanks, no im not hesitant just dont wanna do more damage.

RC Competitor
    id even shim it now with your stripped ring gear, may fix it for awhile and wont cost much

RC Competitor
    well back tires dont spin anymore unless i pick the car off the ground lol

I'd say she's done.

Quote Originally Posted by polarisiq93 View Post
    well back tires dont spin anymore unless i pick the car off the ground lol
    then its done for you need a new pinion and diff ring. best to get a new seal kit was well.

the motor can heat up which is not a good thing is what you will be concerned about, when i ran mine like that to finish off the diff and pinion i took it easy on the throttle little to not over heat and free speed the motor.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, when the wheels stop turning NOW its time to fix it LOL. Unless your made of money I would sugest U start to learn to repair them yourself. Its part of the hobby, these arent toys.

RC Competitor
    yea those are really good prices. that is the same as what i had posted first right ?

Yup... same parts except for maybe the blue plate.
    Shipping to Canada might kill the deal though... didn't know you were in Canada.

RC Competitor
    yea im in canada, its 25 bucks with shipping for the one of ebay i will probably go that way

RC Competitor
    well guys my diff is stripped again. I'm not really sure as to why I'm using 2s not even 3s.. this time i think the front is gone as well. my local hobby shop has traxxas part number 7078 for 23 dollars as they are all out of the ring and pinion (7079). should i just go with the complete assembly or should i keep looking ?

78 does not include the pinion... which is what you need.

Did you shim?
    How tight is your slipper?

RC Competitor
    78 does not include the pinion... which is what you need.

Did you shim?
    How tight is your slipper?
    that is what i thought.. yes i shimmed, and slipper is how it came out of the box i haven't touched it.

Your slipper may be too tight for your driving style.

RC Racer
    lol i ran mine VERY hard while it was clicking and broke the rear driveshaft and destroyed the diff if you want to rebuild the diff buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/350894942165...84.m1439.l2649 and get some diff shims
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    if you broke it again, you need to to work on your driving skills. These aren't indestructible like most people think. You can't land them with the throttle on (can't land any with the throttle on) Can't slam them into solid objects with the power on, can't backflip them and expect the diffs to live etc.

Also, the gears in the diff themselves can go so if you replace the ring and pinion and it still clicks, you probably need to replace the internal spider gears.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    if you broke it again, you need to to work on your driving skills. These aren't indestructible like most people think. You can't land them with the throttle on (can't land any with the throttle on) Can't slam them into solid objects with the power on, can't backflip them and expect the diffs to live etc.

Also, the gears in the diff themselves can go so if you replace the ring and pinion and it still clicks, you probably need to replace the internal spider gears.
    yeah this was my first electric i learned that the hard way

That all depends on how you have it built.

When mine was the most durable I had no hesitation to hand the controls over to anyone. They would land full throttle, hit random stationary objects, ramp it up into trees, ect, ect, and would never let off the throttle. It always was drivable after the bash session. Now, don't get me wrong... it was not indestructible, just more prepared for the abuse. However, I would like to add that I never stripped out a differential until I went to 3S.

RC Competitor

im not sure its my driving because i have a stampede 4x4 also and its never stripped anything in the diffs

RC Racer
    That all depends on how you have it built.

When mine was the most durable I had no hesitation to hand the controls over to anyone. They would land full throttle, hit random stationary objects, ramp it up into trees, ect, ect, and would never let off the throttle. It always was drivable after the bash session. Now, don't get me wrong... it was not indestructible, just more prepared for the abuse. However, I would like to add that I never stripped out a differential until I went to 3S.
    yeah i was bashing with 3s when it happend :P

RC poster
    where can you find the shims to shim the diffs? I cant seem to find them anywhere?
    Revo 2.5R- TMAXX OS .18 - NitroSport 2.5R