RC poster

Spur gear problem

So the kids 1/16 slash (less than 2 weeks old) made some funny noises last night (clicking). Pulled drive shaft cover off, couple small rocks in there. Cleaned them out, no change. Looked at spur gear and found a bunch of tiny ball bearing remnants. Picked them all out and started to look for a failed bearing. All looked new. Pulled tranny apart, all looks brand new. So I re-meshed the gears and re-assembled, did a quick run, all good. Tonight's run lasted 5 minutes and the spur gear stripped completely. Pulled it apart again, cannot find anything wrong in tranny, motor, driveshafts etc. What am I missing? Going to get new spur gear tomorrow, but I know something else is not right! I have a slash 1/10 that I destroy on a daily basis, and can repair with my eyes closed! This mini is all new to me.

RC Qualifier
    Spur has a bearing inside .... Dont really see the purpose, but it`s there ....

RC Racer
    It's for the cluch to work properly

RC poster
    All the bearings in the tranny are fine, spur gear bearing fine. I'm at a loss, afraid to run a new spur gear because its gonna get ruined I'm sure!

RC Enthusiast
    I almost stripped a spur gear in my merv because the motor wasn't seated properly. Maybe check that out.