Thread: Hex wrenches

RC Racer

Hex wrenches

Where can I find those long screwdriver-like hex wrenches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Champion
    Look up mip hex drivers. They are expensive but they are amazing. Mine still look like new after 6 months. Some guys have used the same set for almost 10 years.

lipo power!!!!!
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    A cheaper option is to get some good bits and a cheap driver. I got 2 sets the 3 sizes of bits I use for $6 and I use them with a ratcheting driver I got out of an old tool kit and a tee handled driver I got out of a screw driver kit I got from Harbor Freight. Total cost is probably like $15 and I've never stripped a hex since upgrading.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I know their parts are terrible, but Integy makes good hex drivers. I have had a set for around five years, and I've only had to replace two tips (one I dropped tip down on a concrete floor). I wrench constantly and worked in a hobby shop for a year and a half where I used them daily. The tips are cheap to replace, too. Only like five bucks or so. You can get them individually or buy a whole set. Get the 1.5mm, 2.0mm and a 2.5mm, and you'll be able to fix just about anything. I also have a curled handle set with the rounded tips for using at an angle from Duratraxx, and they have been pretty durable as well.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    Another good option is hudy.

lipo power!!!!!
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    After searching all the options I ended up with a ball end set from Bondhus. I am just now starting to wear out the smaller tipped ones after a few years of frequent use and will be sending them in for the lifetime free replacement soon; I just need to pay shipping to get them there.

I think I paid around $15-20 shipped for the following:
    1.5mm
    2mm
    2.5mm
    3mm
    4mm
    5mm
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I got a electric drill with variable speed (0-500rpm) which is perfect for getting out screws! I got it with a 200bit set with every size and shape you'd ever need! I got it from wal-mart on the clearance isle for $15 haha. It's a great deal, and the Mexes fit perfectly. I had a small screwdriver set a while ago which was also bought from walmart for $4 but they wore out quickly. Now I use (most of the time) a Stanley ratcheting screwdriver with removable bit heads and hardened bits, so they don't strip my screws anymore. It was also $10 at walmart. Hmm, while I'm reading this, I can see I like walmart a lot huh? Haha
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Qualifier
    I discovered not all screws and hex heads are what they say they are. So I have a set of the Dynamite kit for Traxxas, a set of the ball end from Bondhus and a set of the Hudy's. above 2.5 mm all the wrenches fit fine. but after destroying the grub screws on a Summit VXL axles. I now try the wrench first on the screws and if the fit is off I grab a different hex wrench until I get one that fits tight. No more striped out small screws. The Bondhus set I have not only have the ball end for difficult angles but they have a small little ball that hold the screw to the wrench. I will start screws and get them snug and then tighten them with the other hex drivers that have a better fit. Same procedure when I am removing screws but in reverse.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Racer
    What size screws does the slash vxl have I could have sworn it was .5 mm 1 mm and 1.5 mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If you check the manual of the RC, just match what sizes are included as Traxxas includes all sizes needed to work on their RC's.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    It's 1.5, 2, and 2.5mm

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    I like my dynamite alum handle drivers. They were all bought separate for 7$ each. They are 2 years old and the shafts are like new. They can be replaced by removing a 2mm grub screw in the alum handle.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    +1 mip drivers. They are expensive but worth it. Super hard tips.