RC poster

best brushless motor and esc-rustler

hi all, ive a got a xl5 brushed rustler and im looking to upgrade to a brushless im willing to spend big $$$$$, the main thing that i want is speed torque and reliabilitywhat would be the best that would bolt straight in

RC Qualifier
    My friend got the Castle SCT Combo, and it's Great! He got the combo for $80 around Christmas, and it's been great ever since! It's more than enough if you just plan on running 2s and 3s. You'll need some 2s and 3s lipos though. I would recommend that combo. It has GREAT torque, Great speed (with the right gearing) and it's priced right (so you can use your extra $$$$$ for more upgrades)!
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Racer
    I have that system in my rusty and is is great. However it is not waterproof, if you want water proof in the SCT you will want the Sidewinder 3. I have the SCT and 3800Kv combo and I run NiMH and haven't had any problems.

Also the XL-5 version has bushings in the wheels (maybe tranny also not sure) with brushless you will want to get rid of the bushings and replace them with bearings as the extra speed will destroy the bushings really fast

RC poster
    will both of these bolt straight in and what else would i need to buy other then te esc and motor -thanks

RC Racer
    Only esc and motor to buy.
    Motor will bolt right in. Esc you will find a way to secure it

RC poster
    what would be the best kv motor for bashing

RC Qualifier
    I'd stay in the 3500-3800kv range for bashing. It lets you use 2s batteries and gear relatively high or 3s on moderate gearing. With the 3500-3800kv on 3s and 31/76 gearing you can make a few speed runs and get it moving pretty darn fast.. Kinda the best of both worlds.

Sounds like the castle 3800 and mmp would be perfect for you!
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvanb View Post
    Sounds like the castle 3800 and mmp would be perfect for you!
    That's what I would do.... Actually, that IS what I did on a few trucks I have at the house now, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    That's what I would do.... Actually, that IS what I did on a few trucks I have at the house now, lol.
    Same here
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    ...Also the XL-5 version has bushings in the wheels (maybe tranny also not sure) with brushless you will want to get rid of the bushings and replace them with bearings as the extra speed will destroy the bushings really fast
    The transmission has had bearings for quite a few years, even back into the XL-1 days, so there is probably no need to crack it open to look for bushings.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Ksb51rl thanks for clarifying that, i wasn't sure as my rustler is extremely old(it originaly came with a mechanical soeed control.

It is always better to remember what has gone before.
    Your suggestion may very well come in handy to someone with a well-used vehicle.

RC poster
    what is the difference between the mmp and the mmp short course

RC poster
    i havent been able to find and castle motors under 4600kv

RC Qualifier

For a 2wd truck like the Rustler I prefer the 1406 in either 4600 kv or 5700 kv over the 1410 in 3800 kv. The 1410 has a slightly longer can and makes more torque, IMO more torque than a 2wd can use. Between the added weight of the longer can and the extra torque you end up with a wheelie machine that is hard to drive. When I had my 3800 in my Rusty I had to de tune it via Castle Link to make it more drivable.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    will both of these bolt straight in and what else would i need to buy other then te esc and motor -thanks
    Only esc and motor to buy.
    Motor will bolt right in. Esc you will find a way to secure it

All the castle motors will bolt right in, but none of the castle esc's come with a battery connector or mounting lugs. You will have to purchase the connector to match your batteries, and solder it on along with either zip tying, using servo tape, or making a mounting cradle. Also, take note of which motor shaft (3.17 or 5mm) that is with the combo you buy. You may need different pinions if the new motor comes with a 5mm shaft
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Quote Originally Posted by donald43 View Post
    what is the difference between the mmp and the mmp short course
    The sticker on the case and the motor that might be bundled with the ESC. There is no real difference between the "two" ESC's.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    For a 2wd truck like the Rustler I prefer the 1406 in either 4600 kv or 5700 kv over the 1410 in 3800 kv. The 1410 has a slightly longer can and makes more torque, IMO more torque than a 2wd can use. Between the added weight of the longer can and the extra torque you end up with a wheelie machine that is hard to drive. When I had my 3800 in my Rusty I had to de tune it via Castle Link to make it more drivable.
    Dadx2mj what would be betteer the 4600kv or the 5700kv

Dadx2mj what would be betteer the 4600kv or the 5700kv
    There is not that much difference but if I was going to run ONLY 2s I would go with a 5700 I have them in my Rustler and my Pede 4x4. If I was going to run a 3s I would go with the 4600kv motor. Either motor will work and if good deal came up on one I would go for it.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

If you live in a hot climate, go for the 4600. It will give you more room for gearing.

RC poster
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDAVN&P=FR

I've noticed out of all the topics on here this is the most asked question lol.

RC poster
    ok one last stupid question from me what is the better esc, sidewinder or the monster mamba,because i found a sidewinder and 4600kv motor for $70-thanks everyone for there help with my questions

RC Qualifier
    Would it not be better to get the 3800kv and gear up to make up the difference in kv?

ok one last stupid question from me what is the better esc, sidewinder or the monster mamba,because i found a sidewinder and 4600kv motor for $70-thanks everyone for there help with my questions
    The Mamba Max Pro can handle more power than the Sidewinder. Especially the 3800Kv motor can consume quite some power which the Sidewinder might not be able to handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltim0re28 View Post
    Would it not be better to get the 3800kv and gear up to make up the difference in kv?
    The 3800Kv is more powerful than the 4600 and 5700Kv. Using a lower Kv and gear that up instead of a higher Kv motor depends a lot of which voltage you want to use. Using a higher voltage with the power the same, will need less current.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    ok im finnaly getting around to ordering a new esc and motor ive decided to get mmp and a 4600kv will i need to order castle link (im planning to run on nimh) and last of all what would be good gearing thanks everyone for your help

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    There is not that much difference but if I was going to run ONLY 2s I would go with a 5700 I have them in my Rustler and my Pede 4x4. If I was going to run a 3s I would go with the 4600kv motor. Either motor will work and if good deal came up on one I would go for it.
    I have a 5700 2 pole in my p2de. On 3s its crazy fast and torque will pull the wheels up at any speed. It runs hot, and I've been researching whether the 5700 4 pole will run cooler for me.

Everyone says go with the 3800, which I may do, but I KNOW already the 5700 suits me.

What say you?

I guess I could disable the internal bec on my mm and put 4s on the 3800 sometimes.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 10-13-2013 at 07:02 PM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

I have a 3800 4 pole and like the motor but feel it has too much torque to use in a 2wd truck. When I ran it in my Rusty I ended up tuning it down to make it more drive-able. IMO it is better suited for a 4wd truck.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I have a 5700 2 pole in my p2de. On 3s its crazy fast and torque will pull the wheels up at any speed. It runs hot, and I've been researching whether the 5700 4 pole will run cooler for me.

Everyone says go with the 3800, which I may do, but I KNOW already the 5700 suits me.

What say you?

I guess I could disable the internal bec on my mm and put 4s on the 3800 sometimes.

The 4 pole will run cooler, but you will still have to pay close attention to temps, and gear accordingly.

If it's not a vast difference, maybe I should go to a different motor.

Don't forget the choice of a motor depends a lot on personal taste. Some like overpowered, some like a balanced car and motor/ESC combo.
    If you looking for balance, Dad's the one to listen to. He and I might disagree every once in a while, but I have a lot of respect for his ability to pick an ESC/motor combo which suits a car just right.
    Personally I like a bit of extra power. That certainly doesn't mean the car will handle better. It means it will be faster in straight line situations.

The 4 pole Castle motors are quite more powerful than their 2 pole equivalents. That means more torque but also more work for the ESC. If you pick the 3800Kv, you can gear up to make up the difference with the 5700Kv, but you will end up with an overpowered car.
    Nobody is born with experience

I was afraid of gearing up so high that I lose torque trying to match the 5700. If that's not the case then that's a great choice for me . It's overpowered on the 5700 haha. Makes for fun bashing!

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    FWIW, My son and I both have Rusty's with the 5700 2-pole on 2S. A few months ago the output shaft on my son's 5700 snapped at the neck-down. I went out and bought the 4-pole 5700 combo and installed it. I always said the 2-pole was a beast; this 4-pole is just plain nuts! I couldn't imagine either system with 3S.

The 4-pole runs a good 20-30 cooler than the 2-pole, I have them geared the same.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

Thanks for the input guys!

RC Qualifier
    The MMP 1410 series, 4600 kv is a great setup. It's a 4 pole motor, so more torque than the original, CM36, MMP 2 pole motors. The 4 pole also comes in the 1406 series, however I believe the can is smaller. I'd definitely go with the newer MMP 4 pole 1406 or 1410 motor/esc combo, plus the esc can take a heck of alot more power than the Castle SCT esc. Good luck and have fun with your decision. But there's obviously alot of great ideas posted on this thread and the common theme is Castle's MMP
    FLM RUSTY, FLM EMAXX, ERBE, SLASH PLATINUM 4X4

RC Qualifier
    The new Castle SCT 4-Pole system is now waterproof! Good news for anyone who wanted castle without getting a MM2 or SV3!
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!