RC Competitor

Removing what is left of my bearings

My 4x8 Ball Bearings in both my rear axle carriers bit the dust. I have GPM aluminum axle carriers and the outer metal band is stuck in them. Any ideas on how to get them out so I can replace be ball bearings? Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    heat aluminum this will make it expand, helping to release the outer bearing race. apply the heat from the outside, avoiding the bearing race as much as possible - you don't want to heat the race more than necessary
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

heat aluminum this will make it expand, helping to release the outer bearing race. apply the heat from the outside, avoiding the bearing race as much as possible - you don't want to heat the race more than necessary
    Don't use an open flame if possible, that can warp the aluminum. Try boiling hem in hot water first, that should work better.

EDIT: Wait for the water to start boiling, then drop it in.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-15-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: See EDIT:
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    I'd use a heat gun if you have one. if not, a hair dryer on high might be enough
    boiling will heat the race as well and while it's rate of expansion is nowhere near that of aluminum it's working against you.
    You don't have to get it very hot <200 degrees should suffice
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help. I don't really have many options here in Afghanistan. I was able to eventually get them out with a flat head screwdriver but it took a while. Now the long wait for replacements begins.