RC Enthusiast

do RPM towers flex?

I got some big bores with 50w oil thrown on my truck recently, which means my shock towers won't last very much longer. When they do break, I'm trying to figure out if I should go with aluminum towers, or RPM towers. I've heard some stuff about the RPM towers flexing and bending the shock shafts, which I definitely want to avoid if it means a bent shock shaft. Is there any truth to that? I'll be jumping this quite a bit, so there will definitely be a lot of stress on it.

RC Competitor
    You should be ok, I run 50wt in one of the maxxs with stock towers.

From what I have seen, it is almost always an endo that drives the rear of the body forward that snaps the tower off over the bulks at the upper screw holes. I have been playing around with trying to hold it back with zip ties. Pretty ghetto, but seems to work.

RC Competitor
    I bent rear shock shafts when using RPM towers. I bought a set of UE knuckleheads and haven't bent one yet and I jump my E-Maxx a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    +1 with UE khead.
    Never looked back after this purchase.

Fred
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

RC Champion
    I'm running stock shocks with 80 weight oil in two front and two rear shocks and 60 weight in the other four on my 3906, with stock 3905 shock towers and its been over three years with this combo with no breakage.

And you can bet the farm that I bash my Maxx as hard as I can Every time I take it out. And have a total riot doing it
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MOPAR MARV View Post
    I'm running stock shocks with 80 weight oil in two front and two rear shocks and 60 weight in the other four on my 3906, with stock 3905 shock towers and its been over three years with this combo with no breakage.

And you can bet the farm that I bash my Maxx as hard as I can Every time I take it out. And have a total riot doing it
    Weird, man. I snapped them like nobody's business until I ran out of oil in my shocks. This was even when I had the stockers filled with....whatever they came with (30, I think).

I seem to be having a weird time finding the UE towers and when I do, they're a bit pricey. Integy has some nice looking ones, but a good bit of their stuff is crap (although I have yet to break one of their bulks). I haven't yet decided if I should even consider them or not. I don't really need a WHOLE lot more strength than the plastics. Aluminum of pretty much any quality has a substantially higher tensile rating than plastic, so perhaps an Integy part would work ok. I like they way some of them look too. I also like the looks of the stock-patterned GH towers. Is GH stuff any good?

RC Champion
    GH is very good I believe. Just put some UE towers on, have not tested them a whole lot, but they seem very strong and the body posts are soft so upside landings wont snap the bulks/shock towers as easily.

My opinion is that you should stick with RPM towers until you upgrade your bulks, because aluminum towers on stock bulks just create a weak point at the top of the bulkhead, and towers are easier to change than bulks.

I have RPM bulks under my UE towers and theyve been great so far, but again, not a lot of serious bashing, lots of work and snow and just managed to waterproof my lipos.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC Enthusiast
    I've got aluminum bulks, skids, and chassis bracing (3906), so I'm not terribly worried about the chassis structure failing unless I do something incredibly stupid, which is definitely possible.

Has anyone had a crappy experience with the Integy towers?