RC Qualifier

I think I killed my Engine somehow.

Last time I ran my Truck I broke the Tranny output Pin and had to stop. I drained out the fuel and did a Minor after run lube, and I noticed today when I went to check it out, The engine feels like it has resistance like a bearing or something.
    It seems to spin over fine with the EZ Start and I made sure to spray some Lube into it and turn it by hand first before I hit it with the EZ start just from working on full size engines that have sat for years.
    I am wondering if the one way bearing on the EZ start could cause this issue?
    I don't see how letting it sit since June or so could of done this since I did crank all the fuel out and sprayed WD-40 into carb and plug hole and then cranked it like I usually do after running it.
    T-Maxx 3.3 :)

RC Qualifier
    wow No one has ever had a Engine bearing go bad or a one way bearing?
    I am just trying to figure this out before I start pulling it apart or at least what to look at first.
    SO I will just tear it all down and tell ya what I find.

I had a bearing go bad on me, it started leaking really bad. Let us know what you find.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Seems no one on the forums lately is posting, it's weird. Kind of sad how the engines for nitro get no love. I've having engine probs myself atm.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the reply, I am not sure if the bearing is leaking, I know it ran great last run ( as a matter of fact I broke the Pin in my tranny that normally has the U clip to hold it in place) So I know it was running great, and I finally got a Temp Probe with my new Multi Meter and the engine was running about 225 F, But that was back in June or maybe July.
    I just noticed when I was prepping it to possibly take it to the Meldrum Bar R/C Track I could feel something rough when I was spinning the engine over with my finger and flywheel ( with Glow Plug Removed).
    I know I have had the One way EZ Start bearing act up usually what it does if free spin when using the EZ-Start system but never noticed it being rough when turning engine by hand/finger. Once I get the engine started or heat it up with my Old Hair dryer now used as a Traxxas Nitro engine warmer the one way bearing will engage properly.
    I am really hoping it is not the engine bearings that is the last thing I need to have to buy a new engine.
    I figure if the bearing went bad the rest of the engine is probably toast too.
    I really hate pulling the engine that is why I was asking about this first but I guess I should quit being lazy and just dig into it either way I will have to pull it either to clean and lube the One way bearing, replace the engine bearings or possibly the engine itself.

RC Competitor
    I had my inner bearing go tonight, engine hard to turn over by hand and ez start, stripped engine and bearing is shot, tried to heat up to get it out and all the ball races fell out with the inner race but the outer race is still stuck in the engine. Engine has only has 12 tanks thru it. Always done after run procedure, bought engine from the US whilst on holiday so guess I can't get it exchanged as I live in the UK.

RC Qualifier
    Oh Man sorry to hear that, I took my Engine out of my T-Maxx ( BTW not sure if I mentioned but I still have the 2.5 as I haven't had the $$ to get the 3.3 YET) bought the engine back in January I believe as the front bearing started leaking and would not run on the engine it came with, The 2.5 only cost me $47 New on the eBay, seen a 3.3 sell 2 days ago for $65 but I did not have the $ or I would of jumped on that like sugar ants on jolly rancher.
    Took the one way bearing out and the engine seemed to spin smoothly by hand so I oiled the bearing with a mix of White Lithium grease and Marvel mystery oil for 3 days, After cleaning it real well, so its as lubed as it can be, will attempt start up this afternoon after I replace a catalytic convertor on van.

RC Competitor
    I have put my old 2.5 in tonight but it won't fire up, sounds like it wants too, so will mess with it tomos. Might look for another 3.3 as it is fun with a bigger engine.

RC Racer
    Www.dollarhobbyz.com has cases with bearings gor under $15. Since uour piston and sleeve are almost new.
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartstots View Post
    I have put my old 2.5 in tonight but it won't fire up, sounds like it wants too, so will mess with it tomos. Might look for another 3.3 as it is fun with a bigger engine.
    I had a T-Maxx 2.5 and the one way bearing stuck and it would try to fire and Just would not get iver what seemed a hump to running found that the bearing was just stuck and once I freed it It ran great, That engine always seem to run more stable then my 2.5 but mine has way more power lol.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry about the late response Updates, I oiled up one way bearing, oiled up engine super good (added about 1/2 ounce of Marvel Mystery oil to Engine and let it soak a couple hours and with Glow Plug out proceeded to empty out all oil in crankcase ( as to not Lock engine later)
    Runs great see no adverse side effects at all now.
    BTW I seen something written about using non-Petroleum oil as after run oil is there a specific reason?? I did not see this until like a month ago and was curious as WD-40 and Marvel Mystery oil are both Petroleum based.
    Do petroleum based oils cause the bearing seals to go bad faster??