Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

New to the ranks

Hello all ...just got my first Summit, and felling like a kid!! I haven't owned a RC truck for about 25 yrs now, and gotta say I'm love'n this beast for sure..

RC Enthusiast
    I have however ran into a little problem.. When I take off from a dead stop under full throttle I get a clunk sound from the truck... sounds like the rear end is smacking the ground, but that's not it..any ideas before I go crazy tearing everything apart with very little knowledge of what I'm doing, or what to look for.. Thanks in advance.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Welcome!!

Could be any number of things... some have notices more slop than others between the differential housing and the bulkhead. It could be that??
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    The summit I got is used, and the first couple of runs were just fine.. then.. I did what (at the time) I thought was a brilliant idea... and ... wait for .... wait for it.... I towed myself, and my son on a skate-board around the block. Let the roasting begin... so it wasn't till after the tow around the block did it start making this noise......... I know.... I'm a dummy, but man it sure was FUN.

Traxxas has a strict language policy. A word filter operates to change inappropriate words to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    -ksb51rl
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-22-2013 at 09:46 PM.

I'd take a look at your ring and pinion in the rear.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I'd take a look at your ring and pinion in the rear.
    Great thanks JN .. is there an easy way to check this, or do I need to take the rear-end apart?

Not really an easy way... no; but:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ousing-Removal

RC Qualifier
    Yeah sounds like your rear diff is gone. Probably a chipped / damaged tooth : teeth on the ring / pinion gear as mentioned above.

Gotta pull the whole rear end apart - everything - completely off.

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds like I'm going to have to learn very quickly about my new to me Summit...tearing it down this week, and will let'cha all know what I find. Hopefully I can put it back the same way I take it apart... I already found that the spur gear is worn.. wonder if that is the real issue?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by lovndcummins View Post
    Sounds like I'm going to have to learn very quickly about my new to me Summit...tearing it down this week, and will let'cha all know what I find. Hopefully I can put it back the same way I take it apart... I already found that the spur gear is worn.. wonder if that is the real issue?
    I would replace that Spur gear and check it out first before going after the diff. Welcome to the forum. I too had not seen an R/C in almost 30 years, boy was I shocked. You will have a blast with the Summit. Its better than a good dog, It will go any where you can go, you don't have to feed or clean up after it. There are some really fun modifications you can do to it. If I can do them I'm guessing anyone can. The people in this forum are very friendly and don't worry there is no such thing as a stupid question. Trust me we have all asked our fair share.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

My spur looks pretty chewed up too... but until there are teeth missing I will run it!

RC Enthusiast
    OK... I found very little damage to the rear diff, but I did find some... about 3 teeth on pinion gear wore down hope this is it.. also it was not shimmed, so will be doing that while I'm in there.

RC Racer
    Towing stuff is so amusing. I dragged a Powerwheels John Deere tractor down the driveway a couple days ago. You might put in a new set of spider gears(TRX5382x) and don't forget to get some diff lube.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Enthusiast
    Well rear diff rebuilt, and installed, but I don't wanna run it because there seems to be a lot of slop from the diff housing. Is this normal? I can wiggle it from side to side, and front to back about 1/2 inch or so.. looks just like this guys. Maybe even a little worse..

Last edited by lovndcummins; 08-21-2013 at 10:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Break out the hot glue gun and fill in the spaces around your diff in the bulkhead!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ErbeSumm View Post
    Break out the hot glue gun and fill in the spaces around your diff in the bulkhead!

I will probably only do that as a last resort... is there a bolt that holds it in place that I may have dropped... what holds the bulk heads together.. could that be it? Or is this all this normal tolorance specs, and I’m just worrying too much.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-22-2013 at 09:35 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Anybody else know if this is normal ???

100% normal.

RC Qualifier
    yes, it's normal... a lot of us use hot glue to fill in the spaces to hold it a bit more secure.

nothing wrong..

Anybody else know if this is normal ???
    not unusual,the bulkheads get worn
    The hot glue does help and is removable when needed.
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Wow.... great reply's guys "THANK-YOU" I think I will take her out for a run after the rain stops..... who knew it actually does rain in AZ.

AZ?
    Whenever I am there all it does is rain. lol

RC Enthusiast
    Done with the rear diff...test run came out great no issues yet on the first pack. I also installed new Acer ceramics, and I did notice some improvement.... Thank-you everybody that helped

RC Enthusiast
    Hey all....
    l been through 5 packs now, and the rear diff seems to be holding up...although when I wheelie the truck it will pull to the left pretty hard...any idea what could be causing this? Pics coming soon

RC Competitor
    Great!!
    Nice to hear that... next week I'll the the parts to rebuild my rear diff...

Hey all....
    l been through 5 packs now, and the rear diff seems to be holding up...although when I wheelie the truck it will pull to the left pretty hard...any idea what could be causing this? Pics coming soon
    The open diff,is likely sending more power to one rear.The torque twist as it were is likely causing one wheel to get lighter and losing traction.the open diff curse is in effect.Most of the power
    Goes to the wheel with the least resistance(traction)

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Before I rebuilt the rear diff it didn't pull to either side when in a wheelie, but now it does ... I used JB weld (Black) in the diff, and 80w gear oil for the housing.. could either of those be causing the pull?

I used JB weld (Black) in the diff, and 80w gear oil for the housing.. could either of those be causing the pull?
    Why did you put JB weld in? You could just use the diff locker... Also, the 80wt gear oil you put in will just leak out, you need to use grease.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Why did you put JB weld in? You could just use the diff locker... Also, the 80wt gear oil you put in will just leak out, you need to use grease.
    I have some multi-purpose lithium grease.. will that be OK to use in both the diff, and housing?

If you must... but the grease is no where near as thick as the stock diff oil.

Before I rebuilt the rear diff it didn't pull to either side when in a wheelie, but now it does ... I used JB weld (Black) in the diff, and 80w gear oil for the housing.. could either of those be causing the pull?
    That is a distinct possibility if it pulls the same way consistently
    check the bulkhead as well.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Just wanted to thank everybody on the this fantastic board for the help you all lent the Newbie... I'm loving the new to me Summit...best R/C I have ever owned. As promised here are some pics.

Last edited by lovndcummins; 09-03-2013 at 11:52 PM.

RC Competitor
    Looks very nice!!

RC Qualifier
    I bet the dog in the background can't catch it.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I bet the dog in the background can't catch it.
    Nope... the only thing she can catch is her food bowl.

RC Enthusiast
    Just ordered me a new LEM 7075 Aluminum Differential cup.. Hope this will kill any future diff explosions I may encounter..HaHa

RC Racer
    I know it's a pain to tear all the way into it, but you might want to put some legit' diff fluid in it. I used 500k in the rear and it is really tight. Mine will do donuts(offroad). It didn't used to do donuts unless the diff was locked. It still has the same turning radius though. Stock is 100k. Traxxas says, in lower traction terrain you want a thicker fluid, and in a higher traction terrain you want thinner fluid. I used to put general purpose lithium grease in my diffs, but I like the way it handles more with diff fluid.

Just my 2

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
    I know it's a pain to tear all the way into it, but you might want to put some legit' diff fluid in it. I used 500k in the rear and it is really tight. Mine will do donuts(offroad). It didn't used to do donuts unless the diff was locked. It still has the same turning radius though. Stock is 100k. Traxxas says, in lower traction terrain you want a thicker fluid, and in a higher traction terrain you want thinner fluid. I used to put general purpose lithium grease in my diffs, but I like the way it handles more with diff fluid.

Just my 2
    Do you literally scoop the 500k into the diff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tjtoed View Post
    Do you literally scoop the 500k into the diff?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You seriously could.

It comes in a squeezy bottle. The 500K fluid doesn't come out the tiny tip included very well. I left the tip off and squeezed some into the bottom of the diff cup. I squeezed some onto a scrap piece of paper and then scooped some up with the spider gears and I-beam. I placed the gears into the diff, spun them, squeezed more on top of the gears, spun them, squeezed a little more on top and screwed the ring gear on. It's very thick. I bought my truck new and the first couple of diffs I rebuilt, I used the general purpose lithium grease, but this time, i used the 500K(only diff fluid in stock @ LHS). With my limited experience on the different fluids, I think I will not use anything thicker and nor will I use lithium grease again.
    I'll tell ya what though, it sure doesn't light up just one rear tire on hard launches anymore.

RC Enthusiast
    OK>>> I ordered some 100k Traxxas diff fluid along with the LEM 7075 Aluminum Differential cup.. so idea is to use the 100k in the diff, and then lithium grease on ring, and pinion... is this the best way to go?