RC Enthusiast

Wanting to change diff oil to get better traction.

Im a huge newbie when it comes to RC cars but Im wanting to put some heavy oil in the diff for added traction. Can anyone point me to a good how to post or video that I can use to help understand what Im doing?

Ive looked and cant find one.

RC Qualifier
    YouTub search, Traxxas Slash diff oil change. Will pull up videos like this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-NulUnL7Po

Diff Oils, I would suggest 200k front and 300k in rear. But that all depends how much diff action you want.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/index.ph...iff-Oil/page/2

Links are for reference only.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Champion
    500k all aound

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    500k, +1^^^
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Jang started out using 200k front and 300k in the rear, in Chimera-A, but did end up going to 500k in both.

Or how about some axle snapping 1 Million.

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...t.pl?pn=GRC400

But in the end it all depends how much steering you're willing to give up.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Champion
    sure - it's a trade off. The better crawling the worse turning and vice versa

It all depends on what you want to do.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    nice find on the diff fluid
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky17 View Post
    Jang started out using 200k front and 300k in the rear, in Chimera-A, but did end up going to 500k in both.

Or how about some axle snapping 1 Million.

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...t.pl?pn=GRC400
    Have you noticed how the syringe has no tip, just a great big hole. They might as well give you a chisel and hammer...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    nice find on the diff fluid
    That's more like putty than fluid LOL!

depending where you live, if it gets cold out that stuff is going to give you a locking differential!

RC Champion
    Hehe i once used Silly Putty to lock the Diffs of my Stampede 4x4 for some Trailing / Crawling

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for all the info guys, Im making a trail/hillclimb/rockcrawl/mudder out of the Telluride.

RC Champion
    Either 500k or diff lock fluid or putty up front and 500k out back. I run Ofna diff lock fluid in the front and Ofna 120k in the back of my 1/10 E-Revo and it does decent all around like that, but I want to try the 500 out back at some point.
    Aw, Biscuits!

RC Enthusiast
    I was looking to do the same. It seems like the more I run the Telluride the more it seems to slip. Will putting heavier fluid in with stock diff make much difference or do I need better diff?

RC Qualifier
    Just a fluid change to the weight of your choice will do.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    I went with 200/200, in XO-1 Diffs using HR aluminum Diff cups. Will try 300 rear next. It's funny you guys mention about the thickness, I used a popsicle stick to get it out of the jar, & into the diff!
    AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC Enthusiast
    How much will going from 100,000 diff oil to 200,000 diff oil affect how the Telluride turns? Should I use different viscosity for the front and back. I don't want the turning to be much worse but I would like the diffs to be a bit more locked. When is it necessary to change the clutch from stock? What is the advantage of a "slipper" clutch?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 71 cam View Post
    How much will going from 100,000 diff oil to 200,000 diff oil affect how the Telluride turns? Should I use different viscosity for the front and back. I don't want the turning to be much worse but I would like the diffs to be a bit more locked. When is it necessary to change the clutch from stock? What is the advantage of a "slipper" clutch?
    For me, I haven't noticed any difference in the steering with the 200k oil. I think the stock slipper is good with the Titan, when I went brushless, I put a Slash 4X4 slipper with the HD kit in. The slipper provides a "cushion" between the drivetrain & motor to prevent damage on full throttle starts. Some guys like their slippers tightened down all the way so they can wheelie, some vehicles can do standing back flips!
    AB

RC Enthusiast
    Ahhh, so if I put the Traxxas Vellenion setup in it would the stock clutch be ok? I don't want a crazy amount of wheeling, just more grunt to jump and yes some wheelies.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 71 cam View Post
    Ahhh, so if I put the Traxxas Vellenion setup in it would the stock clutch be ok? I don't want a crazy amount of wheeling, just more grunt to jump and yes some wheelies.
    It should work just fine. You just have to make sure you make an appropriate gear change, and match the pitch. The stock Telluride is 48P, the Slash 4X4 is 32P.
    AB

RC Enthusiast
    i have a weak sauce setup in mine and it is already starting to slip so i dont think the high stall gear clutch can take much
    abuse. I have tightened it a little and it is still not staying locked up well.

RC Qualifier
    Owner's Manual p22.

Going Brushless
    Brushless motors provide increased power output and greater
    efficiency. Upgrading the high-stall gear clutch assembly and stock
    pinion is required to provide the extra transmission and driveline
    strength to make the Telluride capable of handling extreme
    brushless power. Replace the high-stall gear clutch assembly with
    the slipper clutch assembly (part #6878), and replace the stock
    pinion with the 32-pitch, 13-T pinion (part #3943). If you plan
    to run LiPo battery packs to power a LiPo-compatible brushless
    system, optional battery hold downs (part #6727X) are available to
    accommodate larger, high-capacity LiPo battery packs.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Enthusiast
    Well I put the Traxxas brushless system in with 500K diff oil. Wow , this thing is really fun now , well at least for the 20 min I got to drive it. The stock clutch fried out of it. I figured I would give it a shot. I will be ordering new gearing and Slipper clutch today. I was surprised that the 500K diff oil did not affect its steering or handling, but it sure does help its ability to climb/crawl. The sensorless Velineon system is not as bad as I thought for crawling. You can go pretty slow without it coging.

RC Enthusiast
    Did you tun the stock gearing with the velioneon setup? How was the speed?

I run 500k weight oil front/back with the stock setup for now. And it is probably the most fun i have had with a rc car yet!

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I used the stock gearing. With 2c lipos it was faster. How much I am not sure because the clutch was slipping. It was a TON more fun at low speed the ability to spin it around , jump and just accelerate was great. I am waiting for my slipper clutch and some pinion gears to get it going again. I also put some 50 wt shock oil in and that has seemed to help soften the jumps now that it is going higher.