RC poster

Brushless Conversion Build Log (Slow)

Hey there everybody! Several years ago, I bought my first "real" radio control car. It was a REVO 2.5. I loved that thing to death and put about every cent I made into it. After a few years, I had it built up how I wanted, with several RPM goodies, some custom mods, a Picco .26 Max and much more. I loved how fast it was, but I could never keep it running for more than a week or two at a time. Eventually I bought a Rustler XL-5 and I loved the whole plug and play aspect of it, but it was still never quite as fun as my REVO. After another couple years, I bought myself a rock crawler. A few of my friends had them, and I had a blast with it. One of the nice things was that it wasn't fast enough for me to smash into rocks and trees and break it... I eventually got into riding Dirtbikes, Downhill Mountain bikes, and also building sound systems for cars. Needless to say, those three things, along with a little upkeep on my rock crawler, used up pretty much all my available cash so RC had to go on the back burner.

Fast forward about 5 years and I'm now looking to get back into the faster side of RC. About a month ago, I was on a weekend trip to race mountain bikes with my buddies, and one of them brought his Brushless Slash 4x4. That's what really got the flame going again for me. I got to thinking about the REVO that's been sitting a on shelf in the garage, broken and and unused for about 3 years, and decided to bring it back to life. Only this time, there would be no Nitro involved. I've decided to convert it essentially into an E REVO Brushless Edition.

So this thread will be a build log my for E REVO conversion, so those that are interested can follow along, and also so I can get help from those who are more in touch with the current RC world than I am. I'm trying not to drop a ton of cash on this all at once, so it will be a slow build while I accumulate all the parts I need. So far I've ordered the chassis, battery doors, and receiver box. Next week I'll be ordering a transmission and few miscellaneous chassis components. The build could go faster, but I've set a budget of 100 dollars per paycheck (every two weeks). My goal is to have it all complete right at the end of November/beginning of December. Mainly because I'm hoping to get a good Black Friday deal on the Mamba Monster...

Anyways, onto some pictures! Here's what the truck looked like back when I was still into it:

And here are the parts that I'll be swapping over onto the E REVO chassis (Proline Velocity 6 rims and Big Joe 40's not pictured). I'm debating about whether or not I want to put the spoiler on it. I have a feeling I'll want it, though, with how much power this thing is gonna have.

It may be a few months away, but I'm really pumped to bring this thing back to life! And if any of you experienced guys have any tips or tricks for me, it would be much appreciated!

RC Racer
    Might be a few tid bits here http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...Revo-Brushless

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...o-to-E-Revo-BL

I know there's more if you look. This might give you some reading to do while you wait for some responses.
    Sure it'll work, watch this

RC poster
    Thanks bud! Anyways, I'm thinking of doing a bit of splurging this week and getting the transmission and differentials. Aside from electronics, those are gonna be the most costly components so I'd like to get them out of the way. The chassis should also be here tomorrow as well!

RC poster
    I recently converted a 3.3 to brushless using the traxxas ERBE chassis and transmission. Cost isn't too bad if you do it piece by piece. Although I already had the CC 2200 MM2 combo and I got the 3.3 for $30. I have to say it is well worth it. By far one of the best basher truggies out there. Go with the traxxas parts not the conversion kits. Only thing I like about the conversion is you can use the disc brake setup instead of the motor/esc brake which tends to build heat.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    either way you want to do it, its going to be a great truck I went with the conversion myself but, first I did what your doing at the beginning then switch back to nitro chassis then sold it, then build another nitro/electric conversion but, this time I pay more attention with the tranny. check out my build!! sorry for the pics, I maxed out my bandwidth
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Racer
    I am currently doing the same thing.I had a nitro Revo sitting in my shed for over two years untoutched.I started to realy want an erbe but couldn't afford the 800 for one.I order all my parts from jenny's rc as a chassi here in the UK cost 30 but I got mine from jenny's in the US for $12.I had a new Leopard 2000kv motor stiing in my room so I have fitted that and going to get an Xerun 150a esc.My build has slowed down at the mo as this was ment to be a straight swap over build but as always the upgrade bug has hit lol.So next pay day I am going to order Rpm truetrack for the rear and RPM arms and hubs for the front.As mine has the nitro diffs like yours mine are prity chewed up already and I reckon one brushless run would have killed them so I am going to get ali diff cups and the gears with the I bar as the nitro diffs don't have the I bar.I am realy looking forward to watching your build

@ martin34a watch out for those aluminum diff cups, some people here went back to stocker cause they find out they are having leak issue, just giving you a heads up. other than that, I have to say, those aluminum cups looks awesome!!

RC poster
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I figure I'll be about 5 to 600 dollars into this thing once it's all said and done. And as far as differentials, I'm just going with the bone stock Traxxas diffs. I'm gonna be running this thing on 4s, so hopefully I won't be going through differentials too quickly.

I got the chassis, reciever box, and battery doors a few days ago and finally went out and took some pictures. The battery doors aren't on in the pictures because I'm still waiting on the hardware to keep them attached. I also put my P1 rockers back on in place of the long travel ones I had on there.

The UPS man should be bringing me the skidplate and a few other little things sometime tomorrow. I'm also hoping to get the transmission and both differentials ordered sometime before the end of the week.

RC poster
    Well I went ahead and splurged. So the transmission and differentials should be here sometime early next week!

RC Racer
    Thanks for the heads up about the ali diff cases.I mite build one in ali and leave one stock and see how they compare.The build is coming on nicely.I am hoping my transmission gets here this week.I have my motor all bolted up and ready to drop in but no transmission to bolt it to.

Quote Originally Posted by REVOofRustler View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! I figure I'll be about 5 to 600 dollars into this thing once it's all said and done. And as far as differentials, I'm just going with the bone stock Traxxas diffs. I'm gonna be running this thing on 4s, so hopefully I won't be going through differentials too quickly.

I got the chassis, reciever box, and battery doors a few days ago and finally went out and took some pictures. The battery doors aren't on in the pictures because I'm still waiting on the hardware to keep them attached. I also put my P1 rockers back on in place of the long travel ones I had on there.

The UPS man should be bringing me the skidplate and a few other little things sometime tomorrow. I'm also hoping to get the transmission and both differentials ordered sometime before the end of the week.
    its coming along nicely!!

RC Racer
    For a slow build its coming together prity quick

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by martin34a View Post
    For a slow build its coming together prity quick
    It's been quick so far, but it's definitely gonna slow down pretty soon. I'm gonna wait til Black Friday to try to get a deal on the mamba monster, so I've still got a couple months left. I did get the skidplate and a few screws today, though!

RC Racer
    Nice build. Just wondering why you didn't stick with the aluminum chassis?

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by all_rice View Post
    Nice build. Just wondering why you didn't stick with the aluminum chassis?
    I just figured it would be a bit easier to go with the E REVO chassis. It'll probably end up costing me a bit more in the long run, but this way I won't have to deal with upgrading the transmission, finding a spot for batteries and what not. My goal is pretty much to end up with a stock E REVO Brushless Edition, with the exception of the few hop ups I already have on the truck.

RC Racer
    I hear ya. I had the same debate when I converted my 3.3 to brushless. Figure worst case I'll build an erevo. I'm in the process of modding the aluminum chassis to fit an erevo tranny

RC Racer
    If this doesn't work, you could always stick the weed eater motor that's laying by the broom in there
    Sure it'll work, watch this

looks like a Stihl.......That will get her going
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
    If this doesn't work, you could always stick the weed eater motor that's laying by the broom in there
    Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    looks like a Stihl.......That will get her going
    That would be pretty hilarious!

I guess I could say, I got lucky for keeping my conversion stuff but, building a truck from the ground up still cost about the same as buying a new one with one catch, I have mine built the way I wanted it to be with few mods. so far my tranny mods holding up pretty good

cant wait for the end result and few bash run video

RC Racer
    I got my transmission yesterday and I was surprised how small it was for such a big truck.I am having to mod my rear shock mount as I am using a longer motor but its nearly there.I have got the HR double up slipper to fit and all I need is the slipper pads and that's my motor/trans all sorted.I have some RPM truetrack on the way from Hong Kong and on pay day I will order the RPM fronts and after that I better sort the diffs and get some hexes.

RC poster
    I'm still waiting on my transmission and diffs to come in. I ordered them from Dollar Hobbyz on their Amazon store, and it's still saying that it hasn't shipped yet. I ordered my receiver box from them, though, and it came in like 3 days. So I'm wondering if they did ship the tranny and diffs and just forgot to update the status.

Also, I got my Rustler out (it's an XL-5, but with no electronics) and swapped the electronics from my crawler over into it, including the 55 turn motor haha. It was slow, but it was still fun to drift around the garage with. I ended up ordering a Castle Creations SV3 and then I'm gonna buy a brushless motor off of one of my buddies. That way I'll have a fast car to play around with while I wait for the REVO to get completed.

RC poster
    Alright, so it turned out that my order got "lost". I contacted Dollar Hobbyz today, and they shipped it out right away and refunded my shipping. Very satisfied! So hopefully the transmission and diffs will be here sometime early next week.

On another note, I got my Rustler going with a Castle Creations Sidewinder SV3 and an HPI 4000kV motor that I got from a friend. The thing rips and it'll definitely help to hold me over until the REVO is done!

RC Racer
    Shame the parts got lost mate but glad you got it sorted and you should be able to get on with your build soon.I cant see mine being finished until next year.I still have the most expensive parts to buy and this time of year the overtime at work drys up and the ex needs more moey to help with my little boy.All I am going to order this month is a new wing and the slipper pads so my trans can be all together and meshed up and sorted.The most expensive parts I need are the wheels and tyres and the esc.I am not going for the castle esc tho as I have read much better reviews about others that are less than half the price of the castle ones.

RC poster
    Shame the parts got lost mate but glad you got it sorted and you should be able to get on with your build soon.I cant see mine being finished until next year.I still have the most expensive parts to buy and this time of year the overtime at work drys up and the ex needs more moey to help with my little boy.All I am going to order this month is a new wing and the slipper pads so my trans can be all together and meshed up and sorted.The most expensive parts I need are the wheels and tyres and the esc.I am not going for the castle esc tho as I have read much better reviews about others that are less than half the price of the castle ones.
    I'm hoping to have mine done right around the beginning of December. Now that I have my Rustler going, I'm not sure if I'll quite make that deadline because I'll spending some of my RC budget fixing it when I break things! Haha I've already gone through 2 spur gears on the thing due to the motor shifting.

So the transmission and diffs should be here tomorrow, and I'll be ordering a couple SPC 5000mah 40c lipos sometime this week to use in the Rustler and the REVO. The batteries I've been using are the ones for my crawler, and they're the little Traxxas 2200mah 2s lipos, so runtime is pretty short, and they don't like staying in the battery tray when I flip...

RC poster
    I got the parts today!

All installed

It's still a ways away from being done, but it's definitely on it's way!

RC Racer
    Looking good mate.Its deffinatley on its way like you say.I ordered my rear wing,diff internals and slipper rebuild kit yesterday but I need to buy another slipper kit as I need 6 slipper pads.I am having to buy most of my bits from the US as I can get the parts so much cheaper.The diff parts here in the UK would have been 13 plus delivery for one set but I got two delivered from the US for 16.Only trouble is I have to wait a lot longer for the parts but its worth it.

Blue Rockers?? dye the chassis blue too....
    Q&A did you intall the diffs (^up)??
    starting to look like a truck
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Looking good mate.Its deffinatley on its way like you say.I ordered my rear wing,diff internals and slipper rebuild kit yesterday but I need to buy another slipper kit as I need 6 slipper pads.I am having to buy most of my bits from the US as I can get the parts so much cheaper.The diff parts here in the UK would have been 13 plus delivery for one set but I got two delivered from the US for 16.Only trouble is I have to wait a lot longer for the parts but its worth it.
    I'm hoping I'll be able to use the slipper clutch off the REVO, but I'll probably end up needing something a bit burlier for the MM2. Oh well, just one more thing to add to the list haha.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 GN View Post
    Blue Rockers?? dye the chassis blue too....
    Q&A did you intall the diffs (^up)??
    starting to look like a truck
    I went on a little dying spree a few years ago. They didn't turn out quite how I wanted, it's almost more purple than blue. And yes, I did install the diffs up. I made that mistake quite a while ago with my REVO, and I definitely learned my lesson!

Edit: Also ordered a couple SPC 5400mah 50c 2s lipos today! Hopefully those will be here by Friday.

RC poster
    Time for a very small update! I got the SPC batteries and they're doing pretty great in the Rustler! Unfortunately I've been spending most of my RC budget on the Rustler. Me and my buddies built a pretty nice RC track, and I'm just having too much fun with the Rustler right now haha. But of course that means I'm also breaking parts on it and then it needs to be upgraded.

I did order a couple small things for the REVO to get the steering setup back to how it should be. Quite a while ago, I switched to a single servo setup on the REVO, so I cut off parts of the steering mechanism that I didn't need. I'm going back to a two servo setup on the Brushless conversion, so that had to be fixed. Also, I went on Dollar Hobbyz' website and found that I can pretty much buy everything else I need, aside from driveshafts, reciever and the Mamba Monster for a lot cheaper than I had originally planned. So even though I haven't done much to the REVO, I should still be on track to have it done around December.

RC Racer
    good build! Awesome that you are back in the game! I just recently purchased a E Revo and stripped it down to do the build the way I want it. That is great you are enjoying the Rustler as well.

RC poster
    Well it's finally time for an update! I ended up waiting til Black Friday to order everything needed for the REVO. Well I got home from school last night and the package from Dollar Hobbyz with everything had already arrived! So here's how it's sitting now!

I'm gonna go get a Y harness for my steering servos so that I can use them on my Spektrum Receiver as well as paint up my new body for it today. I went with a Proline Silverado body, and it will be painted red with a black bed. I'm assuming the first issue I'll run into when I go to drive it is that the wheel hexes will strip out. The hexes on the front wheels are already stripped, so I just CA glued some hexes into them. The rear wheels are still fine and I'm using Aluminum hexes on those. They're only 14mm hexes, though, so I'm not sure how well they'll handle the Mamba Monster. So once those go out on me, I'll be upgrading to 17mm hexes and I'll get some 3.8 Badlands for it. But we'll see how long it actually takes for that to happen!

RC poster
    I got everything all finished up and I'm lovin it so far! I took it over to my buddy's house where we've built an RC track, and he also has a motocross track that's currently under construction. Seeing as it hasn't even gotten above freezing here today, the ground was frozen solid along with already being pretty hard packed. The Big Joes definitely aren't the greatest when it comes to traction, but they're pretty fun to drift around with. I had a couple pretty bad crashes off some jumps, and nothing broke! So I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I do want gear it up a tad bit. I ended up getting the slipper clutch assembly off of a brushed E REVO on dollar hobbyz because they were out of stock of the ones for the Brushless REVO, so I currently have the 68 tooth spur on it.

Anyways, I took some pictures of it before I drove it so I could show you guys how the body turned out. There are a few little imperfections, but the body is probably gonna get pretty beat up, so I'm not too worried about it.

I ended up dremeling out some of the fins in the battery vents so that it would be easier to get the batteries in and out.

My current RC family

RC poster
    is it done

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ROSS THE RALLY RACER View Post
    is it done
    It sure is!

RC Racer
    Looks good mate and glad you got it finished.Mine is nearly done but I started building an flm E maxx aswell so the revo build has slowed down.

RC poster
    Looks good mate and glad you got it finished.Mine is nearly done but I started building an flm E maxx aswell so the revo build has slowed down.
    Thanks man! I definitely got a little side tracked with my Rustler, but thankfully it didn't slow me down too much with the REVO. I must say it was pretty awesome to drive the REVO again for the first time in like 3 or 4 years!