Can I run Locked Diffs...

Hey guys, I have a question for you guys... I normally run my Summit over at my local park. The park has a play ground full of bark chips, and it's a ton of fun to drive in them. If I run in high gear with out the diffs locked, the tires balloon a lot. I was wondering if I locked the diffs to stop the tires from ballooning out, could it could hurt the diffs? The bark chips are really loose, but I don't want to risk breaking parts. Thanks!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    solution heavyer diff oil

im not sure on what to say. locked diff's will take a beating quight fast in high. but heavyer oil will be better for the diff's. to my knowledge
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

solution heavyer diff oil

im not sure on what to say. locked diff's will take a beating quight fast in high. but heaver oil will be better for the diff's. to my knowledge
    The reason I don't run thicker diff oil is because I run on the street sometimes, and besides, If I wanted "thicker" oil, I could just lock the diffs.

RC Racer
    Traxxas says to use thicker diff fluid in lower traction terrain. I know it's a pain, but I'd switch out the diff fluid for a thicker viscosity. You'll balloon a lot less, but maintain the turning radius.

Edit: What's wrong with thick diff fluid on the street?
    Last edited by Deviate; 09-11-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: posts showed up while typing.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

^ True... I just don't want to wear out my tires when I drive on the street.

RC Racer
    How does thick diff oil make your tires wear faster on the street?

How does thick diff oil make your tires wear faster on the street?
    Because of the thicker oil, the tires will "scrub" on the pavement because the oil makes it harder for the diff to work. Hope that makes sense!

RC Racer
    Um, I don't think it will reduce collective wheel spin. It will keep one tire from spinning on it's own though. I think one tire spinning/ballooning would cause uneven tread wear.

I should add I almost never drive hard enough on the street to lift a tire off the ground. All 4 tires stay planted 99% of the time.

RC Champion
    what percentage of the time are you on the street?
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    Good question reod ! Set your truck up for what you run more if that means chips more than street set it up for the chips with thicker dif. oil.
    Endeavoring to persevere !

It's about 65% grass, 20% road, and 15% wood chips.

RC Competitor
    Odd really all those replies
    The lockers should only be set when needed or when bogged or wanting to do donuts but seriously I can get in and out of most holes without the diffs locked u just gotta learn how to drive the thing and pick your angles right as for tyres ballooning um that's what they do ? It's called power get used to it I did put slightly harder foam in my rear due to big jumps and it helped a little but really u need locked diffs to get accord a wood chip field your just going to kill it
    And any car or truck does not like grass half your speed is lost in grass but lockers ? I'm still saying why

HSV CLUBSPORT BUILD#330

Ok, I'll get to the point. The ONLY reason I want to use the diff lockers is because my Summit handles better with the diffs locked, and it stops the tires from ballooning.

RC Competitor
    This does not make sense it shouldn't handle better with locked diffs something is wrong then
    Ok with locked diffs
    1 u lose your turning circle it is majorly reduced
    2 unnesesary diff wear
    3trye wear
    I can keep going trust me lockers are killers

HSV CLUBSPORT BUILD#330

RC Competitor
    If u want your tyres from ballooning go get other tyres non trx type
    But look tyres always balloon you cannot stop this
    I don't understand how your tyres can be ballooning that much while driving is there water in them ?

HSV CLUBSPORT BUILD#330

Um, ok, let try to explain. When I turn around a corner, the inside tire will lift off of the ground, and balloon like crazy. Because all of the power is going to the wheel in the air, my Summit slows down. But when I use the lockers, it makes all the tires have the same amount of power, so I don't lose traction or speed.

If u want your tyres from ballooning go get other tyres non trx type
    But look tyres always balloon you cannot stop this
    I don't understand how your tyres can be ballooning that much while driving is there water in them
    My tires are not stock, they are Pro line Trencher X's. They balloon up for two reasons. #1: I'm running a DeWalt 14.4 motor, so it has more power. #2: Almost any tire will balloon if it lifts off of the ground when power is being given to it. Picture for proof.

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 09-11-2013 at 08:13 PM.

RC Competitor
    Exactly right good get used to it lol
    I understand though your only way out is going to be spring stiffness u don't want it to tight you want it to sit down a little
    But in all honesty I reckon my summit looks mad when the wheel is of the ground like that phat power slide?

HSV CLUBSPORT BUILD#330

I don't want to wear out the spider gears from so much spinning. I also don't want to pop a tire either. I'm not going to charge the springs, I like them as they are now for crawling.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Um, ok, let try to explain. When I turn around a corner, the inside tire will lift off of the ground, and balloon like crazy. Because all of the power is going to the wheel in the air, my Summit slows down. But when I use the lockers, it makes all the tires have the same amount of power, so I don't lose traction or speed.

Thicker diff oil will stop that. I put 500k and it doesn't do it at all. Stock is 100k. go somewhere in between depending on how bad it is spinning one tire.

Thicker diff oil will stop that. I put 500k and it doesn't do it at all. Stock is 100k. go somewhere in between depending on how bad it is spinning one tire.
    True. Guess I'm going to have to man up and get thicker diff oil. Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: Ha ha, no one even answered my original question!

RC Competitor
    Hmm 500 will lessen your crawling abilty but overall the summit is not the best at anything it can just do everything
    I go through this issue all the time I jump my summit of the roof and to do this I tighten the springs up all the way
    But then I can't crawl it annoys me sometimes . I think about buying a second summit one for crawling and one for extreme bashing ?

HSV CLUBSPORT BUILD#330

You are correct, Wolfslash16: the question was not answered and I'll add that there are some singularly unhelpful posts above.

So, back OT:
    Traxxas does not recommend having the diffs locked when running in high gear. The reason for this is pretty self-evident and under normal high-traction conditions damage can and will occur. Let's change the conditions: put the Summit on ice , throw it in high gear and lock the diffs. It doesn't matter how hard you hammer the throttle - nothing is breaking. This is going to be much the same case running in loose chips. The only concern is if one tire gets caught on something. Otherwise, all should be fine.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    u da man ksb. i was getting lost in the above posts as well. i would add to be careful when turning under power. don't hammer the throttle while turning sharply,...as a preventative measure. keep your oil and play on!

RC Qualifier
    Great explanation KSB!

Wolf – If you don’t mind me sharing…….from reading a lot of your post, we sound like we have a lot in common……..you’re a basher at heart like me?!?!?

Most of the truck’s I have came right out of the box and then started making a few mod’s. But last Christmas my son (now 9yrs old) wanted a Summit to add to his fleet. I had some real concerns about him and locking diff’s; let’s just say he only knows one speed. So I got on eBay and started ordering the parts to build him a Sumvo and let me just say, I am about to do the same for myself. This thing is AWESOME. It’s the best of both worlds. Don’t get me wrong it won’t go everywhere my Summit will go but in low gear and heavy diff oil it will surprise you.

And I don’t know why, but his Sumvo will smoke my Summit and we have the same batt’s, motor, ESC, tires. Sometimes I get mad and get the erbe out just to show that “kid” who’s the boss……..wait a minute, that’s my son I’m showing up. LOL!!

Anyway, I set it up just like a Summit. Summit arms, Summit driveshafts, Summit shocks/springs, 2 speed tranny…..ect. However, I bought erbe diff’s and built them with (I think 250k) diff oil and shimmed them real good. It’s either a Summit with erbe diff’s of a erbe with Summit shafts and a 2 speed tranny. Either way the trucks are pretty much the same.

Now since he wanted a Summit, of course I had to buy Summit tires/wheels and a Summit body, which those two things alone plus the RX/TX was a big percentage of the total project cost.

So my question is……..Have you ever considered building one? You could build a running chassis for probably under $200. The expensive parts of the build you can share with your existing Summit……radio, body, tire/wheels, batt’s. It’s a lot of fun to do, much more so that just opening the box. LOL
    Last edited by BlackSheep800; 09-12-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: I guess I cant spell today.
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3