RC Enthusiast

Motor Preferences?

As you may have read in my previous thread I've managed to cook my motor to over 250 degrees. Obviously I have 2 choices. Buy a rebuild kit, or buy a new motor. On the topic of a new motor I've been trying to make the correlation between kV and T. So far I've come up with this, lower kV means more turns and vice-versa, more kV=more torque, lower kV= less likely to overheat, and more poles= less power to meet the same rpm's as a motor with less poles. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

Now with all this research being done I still have no idea what or where to even begin. The only motor I've ever ran on my Rustler is the stock Velineon and the VXL-3s ESC. Right now I'm not looking for a new ESC because the VXL is working just fine for me and from what I've read on it is it can pretty much handle any motor I may be putting in my truck. My friend tells me I should just try to stick with the same kV because I know how to run it however I feel like I should expand my motor experiences.

With all this being said can anyone point me in the right direction, I'm looking for a motor that can handle anything I throw at it, mainly being ran on fine grit dirt with some hard spots and also in the grass. I'm slowly making the transition from bashing to oval track racing however I dont want to get to far away from my bashing roots which I know is only a setscrew-holding-a-pinion-gear away. I would like the motor to be able to run around the track for a race (periodically being checked for temps) on a 3s but I'm willing to go to a 2s with a higher C and mah rating. The only downfall of my search is I have something of a budget and I do understand you get what you pay for so I'd like to know more about the Turns/kV/battery type/if the VXL-3s can handle it/etc specs of my mystery motor.

Thank you for any opinions and help

RC Enthusiast
    The motor I've been looking at but not sure if its the right one is this one. But like I said, I'm using the Velineon as a base-line

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ess-Motor-135T

I'm a big fan of the Viper systems, I have 2 of them, but the velineon esc will only run a 2-pole motor. The Viper's are 4-pole.

You'll either have to buy a new velineon motor, find a 2-pole motor, or get a new esc/motor setup.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    Suggestions on 2-pole motors then? The VXL-3s can run a sensored motor as well right?

Just in case does anyone have any experience with Tekin Redlines?

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...otor-5T-3700kV
    Last edited by Holmzy90; 09-11-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Added URL

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    but the velineon esc will only run a 2-pole motor. The Viper's are 4-pole.
    Can you explain why the VXL ESC only runs a 2-pole and also on amain's site it doesnt say the Viper is a 4-pole and its listed under sensored motors

RC Enthusiast
    http://www.viper-rc.com/vst.html

Also you may have been confused on the motor series, its the VST and this site shows that its 2 pole.

RC Racer
    I do not know much about the ratings of brushless systems but the way it was explained to me is that
    Kv=the number of rpms per volt with no load on the motor.
    If that is correct the higher the kv the faster the motor will spin.
    If I am wrong someone please chime in and correct me.

RC Competitor
    I'm also an avid user of viper r/c products. The vst series motors are 2 pole. The vtx are 4 pole. I've never tried the vst series motors so I don't know if the will work well with the traxxas esc or not. The vtx series motors are great and the copperhead esc is very reliable and also programmable. I think your best bet would be to stick with the velenion motor if you want to use your current esc. But that's only based on the fact that I have no experience running anything else with the vxl esc. I'm not sure if it will run a sensored motor. I'm sure someone else knows though. Good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    On the Traxxas Products section under the VXL-3s it pretty much covers everything about the ESC and says it covers both brushless and sensored brushless. I too would find it odd running a stock ESC with an aftermarket motor but im just kinda trying to ease my way into upgrading electronics. Not to mention I cant really afford a motor/ESC combo right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Holmzy90 View Post
    http://www.viper-rc.com/vst.html

Also you may have been confused on the motor series, its the VST and this site shows that its 2 pole.
    I guess I was confused... My Viper's are the 4-pole sensorless motors. Why on earth would they build a new 2-pole?? No wonder the guys at my track said the Viper sensored motors were too weak and stopped using them.

Your best bet is to find a used vxl motor and use it until you can afford a new setup.
    Last edited by O.G.; 09-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    So what's the reason the VXL-3s can't run a 4-pole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RC Competitor
    That's why I have stuck with the vtx series motors. I have a couple friends that have ran the vst motors and they really like them even though they are only 2 pole. They run them with the black edition esc's. Not sure if the guys at your track had them paired with those or the regular versions. Maybe that is the difference. I'm still trying to justify grabbing the new 8th scale set up. But keep finding better things to spend my money on (ie bills, food, etc)

The guy I'm talking about used the combo esc with his sensored Viper. It couldn't keep up with the Tekin's so he bought a Tekin and now he can keep up. He bought it from the LHS connected to the track.

RC Enthusiast
    Whats your take on the Tekin Redlines because I was also looking at one of those. And do any of you have preferences on Turns vs kV?

Right now im looking at a 13.5T 2400kV Viper vs 10.5T 3500kV Velineon. And if I go with the Tekin itd be a Redline 632 6T 3200kV.

PLEASE give me some good motors to look at for a decent price, I would really like to have it bought and on its way to me by the end of the week.
    Last edited by Holmzy90; 09-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.

RC Champion
    If you are not sold on running 3S exclusively, I highly recommend the older castle sct sv2 3800 combo on 2S. If you have the budget, go with the mmp 3800 combo.

I run a 540 sized 7.5 turn 2 pole motor and while its fast, smooth and runs pretty cool, sensored and attached to a 2s lipo and an mmp, my son's sv2 3800 combo runs cooler, has noticeably more low end punch, brakes better and has the option to gear higher for even more speed and possibly more power.

Without looking at all of the subsequent posts after the original post, I would definitely recommend you a basic 4pole combo. With that being said, redlightrandy from the rustler and slash forums ran a sensored 2 pole motor with his vxl3s on 2S but the motor needed some mechanical timing tweaks. When it was all said and done, I believe his experience was the VXL was more powerful but his motor was a 13 turn or 10 turn motor? you may want to send him a pm

My 7.5t motor rocks, has super top end power, but lacks some low end grunt, and I don't know if there is gearing low enough to change that without messing with esc tweaks. My son's castle combo has a fan installed on the esc, comes with a motor fan also, was marketed towards 4wd sct's and only cost $110. The lipo he uses is 2S 30C and cost an additional 25 bucks. Good luck. Picking brushless combos can sometimes get the brain going in a few different directions

RC Racer
    I also have the sv2 and 3800 combo in my rusty and love it.
    The only problem is that it is now waterproof ( i actualy may have blown mine a cuple days ago after runn into a puddle tht ws deeper than i thought). Other that that i have loved that thing.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaks View Post
    Without looking at all of the subsequent posts after the original post, I would definitely recommend you a basic 4pole combo. With that being said, redlightrandy from the rustler and slash forums ran a sensored 2 pole motor with his vxl3s on 2S but the motor needed some mechanical timing tweaks. When it was all said and done, I believe his experience was the VXL was more powerful but his motor was a 13 turn or 10 turn motor? you may want to send him a pm
    Im going to get ahold of him but I think I'm gonna go with the 13T Tekin Redline or something like that. Noone has answered yet why you cant run a multi-pole with the VXL-3s

RC Qualifier
    Holmzy, it sounds to me like a budget setup would suit your needs a lot better than a race motor. For about the same price as the Tekin motor, you can order a combo that will out horsepower the Tekin, and have a new speedo, too. If you were happy with the performance of the stock VXL, and just want a little "more", try a Hobbywing Juststock combo- you get a fully programmable ESC, program card, and sensored 2-pole in your choice of kv ratings. You can find them all over, but Falcon Sekido is the US Hobbywing distributor. A lot of people rebrand Hobbywing- HPI, Orion, Speed Passion, etc. They make top-notch products. The big name stuff is very pricey for what you get, both in terms of reliability and performance. In fact, I have had better luck with my "value" electronics than a lot of my richer friends have had with their big name electronics. Look into Funs Hobby, Hobby Hot, Vicious Teknology, Dollar Hobby, and online retailers like them for brands like Tenshock, Toro, Hobbywing, Leopard, Tacon- all are good, reliable products.

I can say that the Toro SC120 ESC, and similar rebrands, is an awesome basher- never gets hot, even with an amp hog setup, great BEC for my Savox servos, smooth and linear, and costs $65 with a program card.

The VXL-3S can't run a 4-pole because a 4-pole requires twice the input speed in terms of electrical switching than a 2-pole, and the speedo can't switch fast enough to run the motor at high RPM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the 4-pole answer. That makes perfect sense.

Also thanks for the combo advice, I honestly thought it was always "you get what you pay for" type things.

RC Qualifier
    Get a castle 3800 or 2400kv with a MMP. You wont be disappointed. I have both of those motors and love them.

RC Enthusiast
    Like I said before, a high end combo really isnt in my budget. high end (ish) motor is but definately not a $200 combo

RC Champion
    A
    Im going to get ahold of him but I think I'm gonna go with the 13T Tekin Redline or something like that. Noone has answered yet why you cant run a multi-pole with the VXL-3s
    One of the unofficial words on the street is that the VXL 3S has an internal rev limiter and that rpm limit gets cut in half when 4 pole motors are run. Supposedly, this causes excessive cogging and poor drive ability. There is a theory that the rpm limit is 50000, cut in half is 25 and most of your kv ratings with 2S lipo operate above that limit. There's another idea that a low kv motor on 2S would work, but I'm sure it would be a dog, also.

Please remember this is all unofficial. It's just one of the stories I have heard along the way that makes some sense to me

RC Qualifier
    What Oaks just said is basically the same thing I've heard over and over about the VXL3s and a 4 pole motor. You could always buy used instead of purchasing the combo brand new. A castle 3800 motor could be found on various rc for sale adds for $50-60 and you could find a EZ-Run or equivalent esc for close to the same price that would run that motor without any problems.

RC Enthusiast
    If I just get the motor I'm going to stick with the VXL-3s, I've had no issues with it yet and I think its a solid ESC. Plus I love the fact that its waterproof, seeing as how my Rustler has taken 2 dips in a pond in the last month.

Where would I find a used castle? And im assuming the 3800 is the one everyone likes to run for 1/10th scale?

RC Qualifier
    Sent you a PM.

RC Racer
    If you can find them cheap the castle sidewinder esc is water proof but i do not know what a combo with that esc wil cost.
    l

RC Qualifier
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAETT&P=0

this is not water proof but cant beat it for the price and the speed you get out of this thing i have 2 right now one in my Rusty the other in my Slash and the Rusty need lots of throttle control to get it moving and the slash will carry the front wheels 30+ feet

If I just get the motor I'm going to stick with the VXL-3s, I've had no issues with it yet and I think its a solid ESC. Plus I love the fact that its waterproof, seeing as how my Rustler has taken 2 dips in a pond in the last month.

Where would I find a used castle? And im assuming the 3800 is the one everyone likes to run for 1/10th scale?
    this one is water proof

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAVL&P=0
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

I saw an advertisement in rcca about the castle sct combos being waterproof
    It's not on their site as of yet though
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Just and update on how this weekend went, I ran a 550 can Venom 4200kV with my new Castle blower on it, good thing was I never jumped over 140 degrees. Bad news is now my ESC continues to thermal shutdown. My assumtion is that the motor now is too big for the VXL-3s so it kept overheating. Luckily my friend that let me borrow the Venom also has a 540 can Reedy so hopefully with it being slightly smaller my ESC will not run as hot. Worst case scenario I go with one of the above-mention budget combos or a decent used combo. Also going to invest in an ESC fan.

A little off topic but does anyone have the CC Blower for 540/550 can motor? With the stock trans case I have to put it on the very edge of the motor with a little excess hanging off, just wondering if anyones figured out a decently easy mod to make it fit completely. Right now I'm running with no motor guard or wheelie bar which I would like to have one or the other mounted.

RC Racer
    That is a common problem I had it on my rusty, you need to cut part of the ttanny case. all you do is look at it and half of it (the side with the motor on it ) is just a plastic ring just cut part out .

You should have a wheelie bar, which will take the place of a motor guard. I usually run a cooling fin with no blower and it hangs off the end, no problem but not as attractive.

So you have a venom motor and the velineon esc?

RC poster
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDAVN&P=FR

Drag brake and programmable launch control all in a waterproof case it's everything the vxl is missing lol.
    I don't know if your lhs is like mine but they offer to program it before you leave the store with a basic launch control and drag brake set up just in case you don't have a castle link yet. A bit of advice I didnt listen to and wish I had taken the time to have them set it up. Putting that combo in my rustler was the best upgrade I've made granet the extra power caught me and a mailbox near by off guard. But thankfully I've been stock piling front hub assemblies lol.

RC Racer
    Not sure but i thought you could program the castle esc using the remote if you do not hae the link.
    Personally I would suggest getting the programming card, you will be able to change some settings without a coputer and it can be used as a castle link