RC poster

Rebuilding jato 3.3 need ideas.

Hi everyone i'm just coming back to the hobbie after 5 years of being away and playing with 1:1 cars, in those years i came across a jato 3.3 in need of a little tlc and bought thinking about rebuilding it but its just sat for the past 2 years and nothing has been done to it. The engine is good and i believe its not even broken in or only has one of the 5 tanks required, has a convertion to roto start so no bulky ez star and has a lot of aluminum parts (front and rear arms, shock mounts, etc...) it has the crapiest shocks to my knowledge (2 sets of integy shocks silver and blue) but can't find the remote...

Mod list:

Gmade piggyback shocks 93mm
    Traxxas tqi with docking base for iPod and all telemetry sensors
    Traxxas 6542 flywheel with magnet
    New bearings for the tires because two went bad
    Losr2123 carb
    Bought an ez start because I just hate the roto start, only good for when racing.
    Revo gearing 40/20 for a bit more top end speed, I plan to keep it mainly on road.

The only thing I have not bought is the losi carb and the revo gearing since I'm not too convinced about it but please let me know guys and if you have any other ideas throw them in, I'm gonna upload some Picts of the truck in a bit.

what i want to do is to make it run properly and make it a bit faster and also thinking about an aluminum bulkhead plus he car came with all aluminum steering but its really sloppy and I have not been able to start the car even thou I changed the plug but will try again later on when I buy new gas (was trying with old leftover gas) but the engine feels strong and with good compression.

[IMG][/IMG]

Please guys let me know and any ideas are welcome.

RC poster

[URL=http://s183.photobucket.com/user/ralphy323/media/image-26.jpg.html][/

RC poster
    Been trying to post with photobucket but its just not working properly sorry about that.
    Last edited by Ralphy323; 09-10-2013 at 08:09 PM.

RC poster
    Soo... Mailman drop this off today and im getting a bit exited, other parts should be here tomorrow.

New tqi radio, receiver and all the sensors straight from a chop shop called ebay, the whole thing for 64.99 includin priority mail 2-day shipping... I think it was a good deal.

RC poster
    So i was talking to a couple
    Of ebay sellers and the one of them
    Said that they do not recommend gmade piggybacks for the jato... Any idea why??? I bought them because i can make them very stiff which is overall good for top speed but can you guys shed some light in the subject??

RC Qualifier
    Well, in my experience piggy back shocks are made for show not go. If you have the original GTR shocks they will perform better.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    Well, in my experience piggy back shocks are made for show not go. If you have the original GTR shocks they will perform better.
    Sadly i dont have the gtr shocks, the jato came with the crappy integy shocks which out of the 8 shocks ( came with 2 sets ) 6 of them leak and hold no pressure whatsoever.

I ordered the gmade because i've seen lots of reviews and everybody loves them, they say that they perform really good and bla bla bla... Honestly anything is better than integy when is shock related imho... But again, supposedly they work.

RC Enthusiast
    You can get the original shocks for around 13-15 on eBay. I would also ditch that front bumper for the rpm version, you want something with some give therr.

RC Qualifier
    If you've only seen good reviews, then it's probably a quality product. By just looking at the picture, it looks like they put more thought into it than Integy has ever put into anything.

As far as other upgrades. If you plan on jumping anything, I would recommend changing your a-arms with RPM so you don't bend your aluminum ones. There are quite a few of us Jato owners that drive them extra hard and the plastic driveline won't stand up to us. Although, there are probably more that don't have these problems. If you start stripping transmission gears or twisting drive shafts, I would highly recommend going to steel as soon as possible. It will save money in the long run.

RC poster
    I got some work done to it... ( yes it!!... Not her or nothing with love for the moment) after dissasembling the thing the servo saver which is aluminun is broken..( no wonder it had all that play ) one of th shafts its trashed, it will not extend or retract for nothing so that means i will change them... Was looking at traxxas cv joints, researched a bit and theres a lot of mixed feelings towards them so whats your take on them???

In response to mark, i plan on doing a bit of both however i mainly like on road and speed however i do go offroad from time to time, about the gears i will just get metal ones 40/20cb so that i get more top end sacrificing a bit of acceleration however with the team losi 3.4 carb that should be aleviated. Tomorrow i'll post some pictures and im actually planning on buying a new chassis and make this a clean brand new looking jato (i like very clean toys... Thats why i dont offroad that much) shocks should be here tomorrow and i have to put them together... Lets see how that goes.

RC poster
    Well playing around with the gmade shocks...
    Two down.

Two more to go...

Let me tell you... I've build shocks before but this guys have an O ring for everything and they are like really over engineered, im feeling confident whith these new shocks. These actually work and you can adjust stiffness on the fly soo no putting different wt oil to get your suspension setup just how you want it now its just done with the turn of an hex wrench.

RC poster
    So i wanted to compare the integy shocks and the gmade shocks side to side... The integy shocks look buffer and the shafts are actually thicker...

You guys be the judge.

RC poster
    So i started building the other two shocks, heres the picture of what comes in the hag...

Dreaded pictures of putting them toghether... They are a PITA to build.

All done!

Now i was trying to liberate the jato from the crappy integy shocks and one of the screws would not budge... It stripped my hex wrench and lets just say that i had to use a file, flat screwdriver and fire to persuade it to come out.

And this is the finished product, i was working only on the front end of the jato since im waiting for the traxxas driveshafts to work on the back of the car.

Some bent axle i found when i took all apart...

Thats my progress so far...

RC poster
    I just couldn't help myself... Stayed up untill 5 am playing with a suspension setup and this is what i came up with.

Now still waiting on parts to arrive and im wondering as to what rims and tires will i use with the jato... I want them to be a little bigger and widear at the rear... Nay ideas what would fit??

RC poster
    Allright now im back with more stuff... After ordering a couple of things ive come to a dilemma... I orderes a nitrous express speed 3000 for the jato ( the one with the refillable bottle) a losi 3.4 carb, new chassis and top part my only problem now is that dont really know what to do or how to put the pipe... I was thinking about a rd whatever which is one of those bling pipes that goes to the back but i read that they are Junk so now i either need to find a decent rear pipe or fab one...

NEED HELP ON THIS ONE!!! FEELS LIKE IF
    IM THE ONLY ONE POSTING HERE!!

RC Qualifier
    The Resonator pipe that's already on it is one of the best pipe's for the 3.3. They make a polished silver one if you don't like the blue one. You can put in back with a Revo header.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    The Resonator pipe that's already on it is one of the best pipe's for the 3.3. They make a polished silver one if you don't like the blue one. You can put in back with a Revo header.
    Thanks a lot mark, now go back to ebay to get a revo header!

RC Qualifier
    I would go with a THS pipe or an emrc pipe. I have those same shocks they didn't work to go for me. I went back the revo shocks with the Jato springs. As for tires I like Jaco foams and proline road rages. I'm not to sure if nitrous works on our little engines. They us know how it works out?
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    I would go with a THS pipe or an emrc pipe. I have those same shocks they didn't work to go for me. I went back the revo shocks with the Jato springs. As for tires I like Jaco foams and proline road rages. I'm not to sure if nitrous works on our little engines. They us know how it works out?
    Definitively, supposedly its supposed to work however i dont know yet, the kit should be here like in 3 days or so and after that i'll try it out and see what happens, hopefully i dont blow my engine!!!

The only reason im looking at putting the pipe in the back its because of the nx system, the bottle its about the aize of the pipe and i need some space for it... I flipped the jato header and made it point backwards and kinda just mocked it but no body will fit with the set up like that... Hopefully the revo header is a better fit.

Jersey jato in what part of jersey are you?? Im in jersey city... Maybe you can be present for testing the beast??

RC Qualifier
    I'm about 15mins from Philly.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    I'm about 15mins from Philly.
    Well thats a bit far i think... Im right next to nyc.

RC poster
    Chassis just arrived and still wating for the nitrous system and the losi carb.

RC poster
    Allright so the nitrous kit came in and i started right away to play with the new parts.

First to position the solenoid, as i said before im going to use the stock location of the resonator for this.

The solenoid has two screws in the bottom so i made some holes in the plastic to attach it.

This is basically a mock up but i like the way it looks there.

As you can see it clears everything and it just looks bad!

Now im looking at where should i run the nitrous hose and this is what i came up with.

I upgraded the steering servo to a jr and i just made my mind about upgrading the throttle servo so i ordered another jr and im just waiting for it.

[

The bottle that came with the kit is the refillable bottle which is way too big for the jato so now i have to wait until monday to get on the phone with nitrous express to get a popper for the kit that im hoping might fit the space im working with.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-21-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: language

RC Enthusiast
    Hey, what size turnbuckles do jatos use? mm?

RC poster
    By the looks of it its 58mm or 61mm thats what i've been able to find.

RC poster
    Any new info to share? Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build and some feedback on how the Nitrous kit worked out for you.

RC Competitor
    Crazy man = mental rc, love it I hope you update this too ide love to see a video of this running and mayb a comparison. Ive always been told nos is bad or silly but it's cool as muck so stuff them people. Ill join the exclusives on the outside of the box.