Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    341

    Some advise is needed

    Hey guys,
    I'm in a bind between 2 decisions...going lipo or sticking with nimh...I know how much better lipos are but here is the catch...I don't have the lvc evx2.
    This causes the issue...I need to be waterproof but there aren't any waterproof external lvc around. With the nimh I would stay waterproof but sacrifice performance/runtime. I would like to stay under 120 dollars if you make any suggestions. I'm not sure on waterproofing the lvc.
    Options:
    1 buy new esc and lipos = over budget
    2 buy lipos and lvc = lose waterproof
    3 buy nimh = lose runtime/performance
    4....any other options?

    Thanks guys!
    Slashbasher24
    "Duct tape and superglue are my spareparts"

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. jamann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Victoria B.C Canada
    Posts
    5,123
    The lva's are not expensive.
    A balloon and zip ties do a good job of protecting it.i run lipo in the wet quite often no issues.i avoid submerging them if possible.


    Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Parsippany, NJ
    Posts
    752
    #2 and use jamann suggestion. Buy 2 LVC's from ebay (in case one does get wet sand die). Also buy an extension tap for the LVC so you have more mounting options. Can someone post links for the guy? I don't want to direct him to wrong spot.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,352
    Lipo all the way! With the stock nimh's I was only getting about 10 -15 min of run time. With the lipos I'm now getting about an hour and a half of run time! Also not to mention the lipos have longer lasting power, much shorter charging times, and they weigh less. It's worth it. If you do want lipos, get these!

    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=66

    Here's a great thread about them.

    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-50c-7.4-Lipos.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    24
    There was a similar thread that has some other innovative solutions:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...26#post5344026



    Last edited by cto; 09-10-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    BL E-Revo|BL E-Maxx|Revo 3.3|Summit|KB Rally

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    784
    +1 What Wolfslash said. You can get the LVAs and extensions from SPC also. I have done dozens of upgrades and by far the best was getting the Spc 8200mah lipos. Like Jamaan said I get mine wet but not submersed. I wouldn't submerse a lipo battery. Check with Tom at SPC and he can set you straight or maybe he has a hard case battery that is better for wet conditions.

    I carry a spare set of Nimh batteries as my spares and have used them in lieu of my lipos in very wet conditions.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  7. #7
    Traxxas Employee TireSlinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    475
    How much do the low voltage alarms cost? You can get a new EVX-2 with LVD for $45.00 + $5.00 shipping if you send the old one to Traxxas for the Lifetime Electronics Warranty. It's a no questions asked swap to the current model which does have the cut off.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    How much do the low voltage alarms cost? You can get a new EVX-2 with LVD for $45.00 + $5.00 shipping if you send the old one to Traxxas for the Lifetime Electronics Warranty. It's a no questions asked swap to the current model which does have the cut off.
    What type of ESC do you have? I believe the Summits have always come with the EVX-2. You do not have to have an ESC with LVD to run lipos. In fact I would recommend even with a EVX-2 to run it with the LVD inactive and use the LVA alarm. The alarms are about $5.00 you can get them from SPC. I found the LVD on the EVX-2 to not always be accurate. You can also use your nimh batteries as spares without turning the LVD on and off. If you have ever plugged in the NIMH with the LVD active, The Lvd will activate and it will run the truck at half speed, and then you have to charge your lipos, plug them into the truck in order to reset the LVD. Also the alarm gives you status of your batteries so you will know how much battery life you still have left.

    All that being said I would upgrade the ESC to the EVX-2 for $40.00. While your at it what transmitter and receiver do you have? If its not the 2.4ghz you can also trade it up for a 5 channel transmitter and receiver.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  9. #9
    Traxxas Employee TireSlinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    475
    $5 is a pretty good deal, hard to argue too much with that so long as they work well. I've never used them so I cannot speak for the reliability.

    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I found the LVD on the EVX-2 to not always be accurate.
    Brick,
    This concerns me, can you clarify "accurate"? My coworkers, friends and I use the EVX-2 with LVD on a variety of projects and have never had issues, nor have we received documentable complaints of this in support. Typically when someone says "the ESC destroyed their batteries" they send it in and one of several things happens:

    - It was in NiMh mode
    - It was not in fact a LVD equipped version
    - The truck arrives with batteries still plugged in
    - Trying to use too small a LiPo (2200mah pack in a Summit for example)
    - Packs have had the stuffing beat out of them

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by cto View Post
    There was a similar thread that has some other innovative solutions:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...26#post5344026




    This is a great idea!!!! Im going to do this unless this question cant be anwered....can you hear the low voltage alarm through the box?
    "Duct tape and superglue are my spareparts"

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    $5 is a pretty good deal, hard to argue too much with that so long as they work well. I've never used them so I cannot speak for the reliability.


    Brick,
    This concerns me, can you clarify "accurate"? My coworkers, friends and I use the EVX-2 with LVD on a variety of projects and have never had issues, nor have we received documentable complaints of this in support. Typically when someone says "the ESC destroyed their batteries" they send it in and one of several things happens:

    - It was in NiMh mode
    - It was not in fact a LVD equipped version
    - The truck arrives with batteries still plugged in
    - Trying to use too small a LiPo (2200mah pack in a Summit for example)
    - Packs have had the stuffing beat out of them
    I own 6 full size Summits I would charge all the batteries and the family would come over and we would all run in the open space. I found that two of the Summits would activate the lvd sooner than the rest. Thought it was the operator running them harder. Had the family over again and the same two summits activated early again but with different drivers. Checked the voltage with a cell checker and they were 3.7 volts not 3.4 like the rest are when they activate. I did check the batteries on the spot did not wait and let them build back up.

    I did not intend to implying that the EVX-2 destroyed anything. My experience has been the Evx2 is a great ESC. Other than the premature activation of the LVD. It may be set to the wrong voltage but there is no way to adjust the setting.

    Once I followed NA's advice and bought the alarms I would not go back to activating the LVD. The alarms are accurate, adjustable, and give a current reading on the battery. I find them to be very convenient especially when I'm 2 miles out and want to know if I have enough battery to get back.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  12. #12
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    PARKER COLO
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by slashbasher24 View Post
    This is a great idea!!!! Im going to do this unless this question cant be anwered....can you hear the low voltage alarm through the box?
    CTO said in the original post you could hear it. My experience with them is they are very loud annoying beeps. Funny thing is I just received a receiver box from Dollar Hobbies to put on my real old Emaxx and it wont fit. Guess I know where its going.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

  13. #13
    Traxxas Employee TireSlinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I own 6 full size Summits I would charge all the batteries and the family would come over and we would all run in the open space. I found that two of the Summits would activate the lvd sooner than the rest. Thought it was the operator running them harder. Had the family over again and the same two summits activated early again but with different drivers. Checked the voltage with a cell checker and they were 3.7 volts not 3.4 like the rest are when they activate. I did check the batteries on the spot did not wait and let them build back up.

    I did not intend to implying that the EVX-2 destroyed anything. My experience has been the Evx2 is a great ESC. Other than the premature activation of the LVD. It may be set to the wrong voltage but there is no way to adjust the setting.

    Once I followed NA's advice and bought the alarms I would not go back to activating the LVD. The alarms are accurate, adjustable, and give a current reading on the battery. I find them to be very convenient especially when I'm 2 miles out and want to know if I have enough battery to get back.
    Thanks for the info. I'll make note of it on our end. Feedback like this is always valuable to us.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •