Thread: trx.15 issues

RC Racer

trx.15 issues

ok so i have a brand new trx .15 i broke it in and ran about 2 tanks through it before i slammed it full speed into someones mailbox as expected i broke the a arms a shock cracked the fuel tank and shredded the spur gear. so i rebuilt the truck (tmaxx) and rebuilt the engine i go try to start it up and nothing happens so i replace the glow plug and rebuild the engine again to make sure its all good, its perfectly fine and still has excellent compression. but i just cant get the dam thing to run right it starts and idels for a little bit and i can take off with it but as soon as i let off it shuts off. ive sofare replaced the glowplug returned it to factory settings replaced the nitro replaced the fuel lines replaced the tank rebuilt the carb. i did get it to start and run by setting the idel very high and it sounded alot loader then usual (like a deeper sound even when cranking it) this is my 3rd trx .15 none of them have lasted past 1 gal before they gave me major trouble and i just bought a new one please help im starting to get very sick of this.
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

You said you rebuilt the carb? Now did you replace the carb body? In bad crashes (go and lookup the Nitronaught brake mod), I have found the carb body can crack along the area of the HSN housing.... Especially after hitting something like a mailbox at high speed.. Easy way to check the carb is to try and get it running (a spare pair of hands may be helpful) and get some WD-40, spray it at the base of the carb with the carb filter on... If the way the engine runs changes in any way when you spray the WD-40,,, there's a leak from probably a crack...

You said you rebuilt the 3.3? If so make sure the cutout of the carb AND the oil hole in the conrod are both facing towards the carb or it will never tune right.

Check your coupler, your exhaust manifold and the cooling head bolts (tighten in a star pattern like a 1:1 car tire).

Oh, and you would not be the first one to use a mailbox post as a stopping device, seriously have a search on that... lol
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    You said you rebuilt the carb? Now did you replace the carb body? In bad crashes (go and lookup the Nitronaught brake mod), I have found the carb body can crack along the area of the HSN housing.... Especially after hitting something like a mailbox at high speed.. Easy way to check the carb is to try and get it running (a spare pair of hands may be helpful) and get some WD-40, spray it at the base of the carb with the carb filter on... If the way the engine runs changes in any way when you spray the WD-40,,, there's a leak from probably a crack...

You said you rebuilt the 3.3? If so make sure the cutout of the carb AND the oil hole in the conrod are both facing towards the carb or it will never tune right.

Check your coupler, your exhaust manifold and the cooling head bolts (tighten in a star pattern like a 1:1 car tire).

Oh, and you would not be the first one to use a mailbox post as a stopping device, seriously have a search on that... lol
    ok thanks yeah ive seen a few mailbox crashes on the forums i think mine was worst though lol nitro gushed everywhere and the battery's where knocked out along with just about every posible screw so it just kept screaming off till it ran out of nitro.
    ive also hit a few cars and loads of curbs but i could go on all day about crashes ill try the wd40 trick and if i notice anything different ill throw a carb from one of the other engines on it. this is a 2001 tmaxx so im thinking about retiring it and getting a traxxas telluride to convert to brushless.

RC Racer
    okay i replaced the carburetor didn't start. so i replaced the exhaust didn't start. replaced the fuel tank and lines didn't start. replaced the air filter and housing didn't start. replaced the glow plug (again) didn't start. replaced the glow igniter didn't start. replaced the one way bearing and pullstart didn't start. rebuilt the engine for the 5th time didnt start. replaced all the engine gaskets and exhaust header gasket didn't start. now im just about out of money and have a huge money hole that wont even start screw traxxas screw nitro.

Are you sure you put everything back together right?
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    yeah im pretty sure i guess ill rebuild it again tonight but i have taken apart other nitro engines before and rebuilt them and they ran fine.

yeah im pretty sure i guess ill rebuild it again tonight but i have taken apart other nitro engines before and rebuilt them and they ran fine.
    Make sure you didn't put the piston in backwards. That would make it not run also.

RC Racer
    yeah its in right if this doesn't start after this im throwing this thing to sit on the closet shelf for all eternity and buying an emaxx or erevo

yeah its in right if this doesn't start after this im throwing this thing to sit on the closet shelf for all eternity and buying an emaxx or erevo
    Ya, I've felt the same way... About the last part, what about your signature?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ya, I've felt the same way... About the last part, what about your signature?
    i guess i will have betrayed the tmaxx kind and must now stay neutral branded by the shame of having betrayed there kind

RC Racer
    also i notice your signature said dewalt summit did you put a drill motor in it? if so how did you do it?

also i notice your signature said dewalt summit did you put a drill motor in it? if so how did you do it?
    Yep, its 14.4 DeWalt drill motor. Ironically, it's only a little bit bigger than the stock motor, but it's rebuild able, and it has a TON more torque. Read this thread... It's not my thread, but I did the same things.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=instal

RC Racer
    alright cool thanks ill look into it because i recently dropped a 18 volt black and Decker and broke it in half but the motors good