Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well, the 2wd is horrible on an offroad track!

Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    what do the big bores come with - hardened or just coated?
    Excellent question: it seems formerly the Big Bores may have formerly been available with either standard or TiNi shafts. All Traxxas BB TiNi-coated shafts are reported to be hardened.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    sounds good to me, the stocks did great till i went to the cc3800. hopes r these hold out for some time. i wasted money n got replacement stocks n stead of BB the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Excellent question: it seems formerly the Big Bores may have formerly been available with either standard or TiNi shafts. All Traxxas BB TiNi-coated shafts are reported to be hardened.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Enthusiast
    Well maybe I shouldn't have said that titanium shock shafts improved handling A LOT, but I did notice a difference. Anyway I will take the advice of the senior members here with more experience to draw from

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Not trying to be a stinker rag6 but indeed they are, as their also hardened steal.
    Unless you meant just a coated shaft, if so I apologize, I was referring to these.
    http://www.infernosonly.com/TRA1664T...p/tra1664t.htm
    I was told about 6 months ago that they were not hardened by traxxas support. I guess like usual this forum is more valuable than trx support when it comes to misinformation lol...

The guy said the shafts were hard anodized with the tini coating, but it is the big bore shock bodies that are hard anodized, and the shafts are hardened steel with the ptfe coating according to the buy traxxas page...
    Last edited by rag6; 10-01-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Enthusiast
    I got into racing SCT's about mid summer and started racing with what i had, a slash 4x4. I realy enjoy it, but a lcg kit for my 4x4 will improve it greatly. I just finished a project where i took a rustler i had and converted it to a slash lcg with the STRC kit and front and rear bumpers. I still have the stadium truck style tires on it as i am waiting for my pro-line protrac kit to come in. I raced this weekend at the local trace and was going to run 2&4wd but they combined classes due to only a few people having 2wd. So i raced my 4x4, while playing around with the 2wd during breaks and after the race. I had a blast driving it!!! It's obviously more difficult as the rear wants to come around on ya, but the difficultness of if mad it fun. Before it was all said and done i got a few clean laps in and was really impressed. Everybody at the track keeps telling me to get away from traxxas, but i want to make my traxxas trucks competitive. That way when i get good enough i can say that "You just got beat by a traxxas".

So i raced my 4x4, while playing around with the 2wd during breaks and after the race. I had a blast driving it!!! It's obviously more difficult as the rear wants to come around on ya, but the difficultness of if mad it fun. Before it was all said and done i got a few clean laps in and was really impressed.
    Imo your opinion is spot on, I wont even race a 4wd unless its nothing but.
    I love racing the two wheel drive far more then my 4x4's
    When it comes to speed runs I pull out the 4x4's as they once again are easier to keep on the ground, but sometimes easy gets a bit boring.
    As far as renouncing the slash on a track, imo they can be a handful against the inherent racers.
    If you can compete with a slash your a top notch driver with a well build rig, imo it can be done.
    As much as I love all my traxxas rc's, when it comes to all out racing my grandson runs a sc10, and my son in law a losi22, with the exception of the pro-open class, here a modified slash is still my choice.
    Their versatile, durable, and unlimited in modification possibility's.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For the OP. Here is a video of a track I used to race at south of Buffalo, NY. The track has since closed and we all miss it dearly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSZBvlXgEY I won that A-Main.

The class was for 2WD Slash. The trucks had to be nearly all stock, meaning stock Titan motor, stock ESC, stock shocks (could change springs and oil), all stock plastic chassis, parts and stock tires/wheels. In the video my truck is the one with the white/yellow/orange fade paint. That class was some of the most fun racing I have ever ran in and my Slash hooked up very well.
    Last edited by Jakey; 10-06-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    For the OP. Here is a video of a track I used to race at south of Buffalo, NY. The track has since closed and we all miss it dearly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDSZBvlXgEY I won that A-Main.

The class was for 2WD Slash. The trucks had to be nearly all stock, meaning stock Titan motor, stock ESC, stock shocks (could change springs and oil), all stock plastic chassis, parts and stock tires/wheels. In the video my truck is the one with the white/yellow/orange fade paint. That class was some of the most fun racing I have ever ran in and my Slash hooked up very well.
    Now that looks like a lot of fun, far to often people(Including me)forget how much fun racing a stock truck can be.
    They(me)get to wound up in power and can't even stay on the track.
    Time for them(me)to get back to the basics,lol.
    Nice video, I really like the slowmo action.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Now that looks like a lot of fun, far to often people(Including me)forget how much fun racing a stock truck can be.
    They(me)get to wound up in power and can't even stay on the track.
    Time for them(me)to get back to the basics,lol.
    Nice video, I really like the slowmo action.
    Yeah, I have to remind myself when I find I am involved in too many crashes; "Slow down and drive around the track. Get off the throttle. Stop hitting things."

It's far easier to say than do, but it makes all the difference in racing and finish results.

RC poster
    Well if your rushing against, crowded out various meats leads like me you can complete, near the top. After that go up a teeth on, the pinion. The truck will just, experience different.

RC Qualifier
    ??????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Donavann View Post
    Well if your rushing against, crowded out various meats leads like me you can complete, near the top. After that go up a teeth on, the pinion. The truck will just, experience different.
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    ??????????????????????????????
    Yeah, I agree ....

Quote Originally Posted by Donavann View Post
    OK, read this six times, the seventh will give me a tumor. Got nothing...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    OK, read this six times, the seventh will give me a tumor. Got nothing...
    Haha😂😂... Everything that has ever made sense to me has been thrown out the window

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    I recognized it instantly. Its from post 22 where I posted
    If your racing against overpowered meat heads like me, you can finish near the top lol. After that, go up a tooth on the pinion. The truck will just feel different.
    I guess that was a crack at me?
    Please pm me if you want to talk bud.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

@ rag6, Yours is a bit more understandable and spot on, I'm one of those meat-heads who doesn't always recognize that imo you can definitely have to much power.
    This has cost me many a race, I understand the you dont have to use it but having it on tap leaves this decision in incapable hands, those would be mine,lol.

RC Champion
    me to lol..i know this isnt the pede forum but this topic is the same

with my stampede runing 2s lipo on the castle 3800kv...on a small track geared to go about 40mph least to say even with the clay dust and little grip i could wheelie with alot of wheels spin all the way down the front straight
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Qualifier

Well, the 2wd is horrible on an offroad track!

When i first seen this thread i just laughed and went on my way. But after returning to the offroad track for the second time i feel like i can really help the OP. I found a set up that allowed me to double double a section that only 2 8th scale biggies there would do and float thru the rhythm section that the other sct's would single single every double in it.

First off if you dont have the protrac kit, get it. The longer arms allow less camber gain and keep the truck so hooked up. Second gear down! Slower gearing will allow you to have finer control over the throttle. Third, use your slipper! A properly adjusted slipper works wonders. Idk how but from a dead stop my slipper will scream but the truck will wheelie coming out of corners.

My setup is as follows:

Tires: fronts are m3 bowties. Best 2wd front sc tire ever!
    Rears are m3 blockades. Went to these after using a set of m4 caliber 2.0s and actully had to tighten the slipper after the tire swap

Front shocks are powerstrokes using 40wt oil and green springs, top and bottom. Mounted outer hole on arms, inner on tower
    Rear shocks are powerstrokes using 50wt (might try 47.5 next time) running yellow springs, top and bottom. Mounted on the third hole out on the arms, inner hole on tower

Front camber link in middle hole. -2 degrees of camber
    Rear camber link middle hole. -1.5 degrees of camber

Sealed dif running 30,000wt dif fluid. This is a huge factor in how your truck handles. I tried 10k and 50k fluid also, but 30k was the sweet spot for my truck.

Run a tiny bit of toe in, like .2 degrees at ride height. This will give you more toe in when weight transfers to the rear to track straight when you're on the gas. But a little toe out when the suspension compresses under braking.

Gearing ended up at 23/84 but don't start there! Work your way up as you get the truck dialed.

Dont give up on the slash, i was wheeling past 8th scale e buggies coming out of corners and double doubling sections every other sct rolled single single single single. A guys asked me if i was running the new losi, i told him so its a slash. Then he asked, so thats 4wd right? So from the way the truck looked on the track this guy guessed it was a tlr scte 2.0. I run at trains and lanes in easton pa. Check the thread out on rctech to see how this track compares to the one your running your slash at. I wish i had a vid for proof but i dont, best i have are some pics of the truck

Another reason to run the slash is to bash it too, its really is a great truck on and off the track. Ill bring it home, slap some 2.8s on and launch it 30ft down a coal bank after i just out ran an 8th scale buggy at the track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by Building Boost; 10-18-2013 at 06:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Hardened and coated. The proline power strokes have the same shafts and I have never bent one no matter how I landed. You can get the the tin shafts alone and install them on the ultras. It's much cheaper and you get a much more durable shaft. The 'big bores' are actually smaller than the ultras. But it's so small that you can use the same parts in those 2 shocks and they will work fine. Hope this helped
    Go Traxxas, Team Associated, and Losi!