RC Competitor

Anyone upgraded to Double brushed motors?

Just noticed typo in title should be "brushed" motors...site won't let me edit the title

So, I killed my stock Titan motor and using a combination of sugar sand and water...it was fun. I decided a while ago I would replace it with another brushed motor. Now, I am looking at the Kershaw options and I see going double motors is not too expensive. My question is what will it cost me in broken parts and battery life? If anyone has done it was it worth it? Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by CollinP; 09-08-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    I wouldn't consider it an upgrade.

A single DeWALT has more than enough torque to exceed the limits of the stock drive train.... and all a double 775 (or equivalent) motor system is going to do is add complexity, weight, and unusable torque. Not to mention drastically reduce run time and even add the possibility of the requirement of another ESC.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    You will probably be very happy with one Dewalt motor. Like most other members are. The center of gravity will be higher with 2 motors, and that's a bad thing.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Competitor
    That is what I suspected but hadn't thought about the weight and CG issue though. Thanks for the input. I will go with the single Dewalt 820.

RC Champion
    A single DeWalt really wastes a lot of energy (notice all the heat and internal sparking?). A dual DeWalt setup would probably eat your batteries for breakfast.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Just ordered a single dewalt 820 with a cooling fan...looking forward to seeing the performance change. Any gearing change suggestions? Can the Dewalt handle a little taller gearing making it a little faster? Wouldn't mind squeezing a little extra speed out of the Summit if possible.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
    Just ordered a single dewalt 820 with a cooling fan...looking forward to seeing the performance change. Any gearing change suggestions? Can the Dewalt handle a little taller gearing making it a little faster? Wouldn't mind squeezing a little extra speed out of the Summit if possible.
    I did the same upgrade to my Summit - DeWalt 820. See this thread for more details:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...or-replacement!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinP View Post
    I have done 4 of these conversions now, 3 on the summits and 1 on an Emaxx. On the Summits I left the stock spur gear - I think its 64t can never remember. I tried the following spur gears.

11t - lots of low end torque,
    14t - dogish,
    17t - pretty much the same as stock,
    19t - great torque and about 3 to 5 mph faster than stock,
    21t - tore up the truck.

I settled down on the 19t and have them on all my Summits. Great for crawling, and flip it into high gear and has all the speed I want for bashing and etc. Keep an eye on the heat of the motor, I have never overheated mine but I bash and crawl and trail ride typically in the same run. I think if you did an hour long hard bash session you will have overheating problems. Check out the link in the previous post there are some good suggestions there. Enjoy the Dewalt it makes a big difference.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"