RC poster

New 5 day old Erevo Brushless, got it wet...no longer works!!!

Hello all, newbie to the forum here! My problem and question is... I just purchased an Erevo Brushless Snap-On Edition this past tuesday, well....wednesday I ran it through a puddle in my lawn which was approx 6' long and 2"-3" deep, ran through it a couple times and worked fine after, the next day however was another story! After charging the batts I plugged the batts in, took it outside, turned it on and nothing! No beeps, no lights, no fan,no nothing! Completely dead! Any suggestions ??? ESC ?
    Last edited by oldrcfart; 09-07-2013 at 06:25 PM.

The ESC is not water proof..... It is smoked, done, dead.......

edit this is the new MM2 that is water resistant

post 300

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5400474
    Last edited by 87 GN; 09-07-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Kinda had that feelin, I've just got back into RC's after 15 years, this is my first truck since then! Lots changed since then, gotta get back up to speed on everything! Thanks alot 87 GN!

RC Qualifier
    I'd be checking a few things before I decided that my ESC was dead!

Firstly - take a few minutes to bypass your ON/OFF switch and make sure it isn't just a dodgy switch! They are well known for breaking and when they do absolutely nothing happens when you plug batts in and try to turn on the ESC switch!!

Next you gotta check all connections - is there a bad connection to one of the batteries, or from the ESC etc.

You gotta at least try this before even considering that your ESC is dead!! Don't get me wrong & as 87 said, running a non waterproof ESC through water is a bad idea and you may well have fried your ESC - but I think it's less likely than a dodgy switch or connection somewhere - and at least worth checking!!

Bash it like someone else is doing the wrenching!

RC Racer
    You may want to make certain that there isn't still some water still in the esc. Maybe take it apart and use a blow dryer on it. I've had a few come back to life after a good drying out. However, I didn't attempt to run them from the very moment they came into contact with water. Worth a shot.
    Sure it'll work, watch this

RC Champion
    If it is your esc. Save yourself a lot of hassle by getting the waterproof mm2
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    Yeah, I bypassed the switch, and the other components, the ESC was the only thing I could not get to work, so I guess I'll be sending the ESC back to traxxas, and possibly seeing if I can upgrade to the waterproof MM2...?

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas wont give you a MM2 replacement. probably not a normal one either if you state you drove through a puddle.
    To SUMMIT up, its my coolest RC.

RC Racer
    Does it go back to Traxxas or Castle???
    Sure it'll work, watch this

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas, call first and start a RMA though.

RC poster
    Going to send it out to Traxxas tomarow morning, they realy didn't ask any questions, very nice and polite, they were not concerned about how or why the ESC had failed, they seemed more interested in getting it taken care of and getting my truck back up and running! Completely hassle free!

RC Champion
    If you dont run in real hot conditions. I'd look into a dusty motors, or the outerwers shroud for the e-revo. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHASSIS-SHRO...item2c71b665f1. I do avoid water 98% of the time. I have this shroud on my summit with no problems, and it also keeps everything fairly nice, and clean.
    Last edited by ajcar; 09-08-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    Good ol traxxas customer support.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    If you dont run in real hot conditions. I'd look into a dusty motors, or the outerwers shroud for the e-revo. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHASSIS-SHRO...item2c71b665f1. I do avoid water 98% of the time. I have this shroud on my summit with no problems, and it also keeps everything fairly nice, and clean.
    Thanks! I was thinking about something like that, prolly would help keep the water to a minimum during an occasional dunking! I just ordered one, $39.89 was a lil steep but may save hundreds with me!!!

RC Competitor
    Personally I would steer clear of water regardless of the esc you use. I have the MM2 and DO NOT drive intentionally through water. The cleaning afterwards just is not worth it in my opinion. Being waterproof is just a little nice insurance if I mess up with my driving.

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Hopefully Traxxas will help you out with somehow (even though it was your fault). They have one of the best CS around.

I know sending it in to Castle you could upgrade to the new MMMv2 Waterproof one for $100. Which isnt a bad deal at all. Believe me they will know that water got into it.

Most of my electronics are waterproof on all my Rigs, I still don't like to run them in water. To me they just don't mix. But I do like knowing if I get a wild hair or just so happen to run off the road and that one little puddle of water is where they always end up landing in. LOL

Traxxas & Castle have very good tech and CS support.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Most of my electronics should be waterproof too, MM2, traxxas servos, traxxas receiver box. But i try to avoid as much water as possible. Your tires will be ruined after getting thoroughly wet. Same for the bearings and screws...

RC poster
    Okay, so I upgraded to the MM2, first question is that there is an extra set of wires with a plug, what the heck is i? And 2. I have steering now but no forward or reverse at all ! .... ???

RC Qualifier
    did you calibrate it?

extra wire is for the Fan on the ESC...... it run all the time now..

edit post 300 ~ 304

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5400474
    Last edited by 87 GN; 09-22-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    did you calibrate it?
    I just linked the two, but did'nt know anything about calibrating it! There's also a rapid blinking green light on the ESC..?

RC Qualifier
    If you read the little book that came with the esc its one of the first steps they tell you to do lol.

hold gas down and turn on, beep beep beep, release, beep beep beep, hold full reverse, beep beep beep, release, beep beep beep your good to go i think..

Rapid green might be multifunction knob needs to be adjusted?
    Last edited by Northern Adventurer; 09-22-2013 at 08:28 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Adventurer View Post
    If you read the little book that came with the esc its one of the first steps they tell you to do lol.

hold gas down and turn on, beep beep beep, release, beep beep beep, hold full reverse, beep beep beep, release, beep beep beep your good to go i think..

Rapid green might be multifunction knob needs to be adjusted?
    DUHH Dummy Me! Yes I calibrated it, have forward now but no reverse! When I reverse the trigger the ESC blinks red, can't find anything in the manual addressing this prob! I actually recalibrated it 3-4 times just to be sure, but still no reverse,

RC Qualifier
    which profile is your esc on?

Do you have a programming card or castle link?

RC Qualifier
    Brake/Reverse Type

Sets whether reverse is enabled or not, and exactly how it can be accessed.

Setting 1: Reverse Lockout (Default)
    This setting allows the use of reverse only after the ESC senses two seconds of neutral
    throttle. Use it for race practice sessions and bashing, but check with your race director to
    see if this setting is allowed for actual racing.

Setting 2: Forward/Brake Only
    Use this setting for actual sanctioned racing events. Reverse cannot be accessed under any
    circumstances with this setting.

Setting 3: Forward/Brake/Reverse
    Reverse or forward is accessible at any time after the ESC brakes to zero motor RPM (if the
    vehicle is moving.

RC Qualifier
    If you dont have the card or link cable `n` chip, I believe you a can follow a series of beep codes to do programming as well. Checking your setting may be a good thing.