RC Competitor

rebuilding differentials question

well im in process of rebuilding differentials, im finding that if i put too tight it binds and if i put too loose fluid leaks through the screws on the head side, is there a easy fix or is that why u gotta refill them all the time since cant tighten them too tight (the 3 screws) any info be great thanks

RC Qualifier
    what binds? and, what weight oil are you using?
    3 screws should be snug, not loose. This is not normally a problem.

when you grab the left and right outdrives and rotate them in opposite directions there should be resistance. The oil viscosity (weight) determines how much resistance
    Last edited by photon_trap; 09-07-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Competitor
    using 50k which is stock for the front, and im pretty sure its the 3 gears inside the diff that are binding if the 3 screws are too tight, and if i back the 3 screws off a little bit then they spin freely but i stick the allen key in the hole and spin the diff really fast and i notice just a tad fluid is coming outta the screw head side, im asuming thats just one of the places it leaks outta overtime

RC Qualifier
    Over time means a long time. Make sure you have the three bevel gears seated in their notches and the ones on the outdrive correct. (including the small O-rings) Sounds like something is preventing the sides from seating on the o rings properly. This is not normal based on what you seem to be saying.

RC Competitor
    welll cant get it just right so either gotta leave it snug and diff prolly act locked sometimes or loosen it more and prolly loose fluid faster lol, the gears inside the diff prolly just dont mesh perfect when its all snug in there, or leave it snug and maybe they will wear into each other as its just a few spots during a 360 turn that it binds

RC Qualifier
    something sounds very wrong inside the carrier. The three screws that hold it together are not an adjustment, they should be snug, the O-rings (4) keep it from leaking. Some people report leakage but that comes with lots of use and it's slow. If not, the O-rings are not seated correctly or are spent (pinched from being tightened while mis-aligned and damaged - they are tiny in cross section and damage may be hard to see but silicone knows how to get out)

What 360 turn are you talking about? The outdrives in opposite directions or the whole diff in the bulkhead?

RC Competitor
    the outdrives when turning the 3 gears inside the diff, it still binds pretty bad, maybe i got a bad ring gear, i bought a replacement 7079 and reused the bevels gears, if it ddoesnt last long ill just buy a whole diff next time (7078)

maybe the 7079 was out a spec a little cause it worked fine if the 3 screws werent tight, the bevel gears in the old ring gear worked fine, just replaced the ring since it was stripped

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure how it could bind really, its plastic you are screwing together. It sounds like your bevel gears might need to be replaced. They do go bad, I had it happen to me.

RC Competitor
    turned out to be the ring gear, i bought another one and was fine, first one was a fraction of a inch smaller so when tightened the 3 screws it pulled the pinions on the sides to close to the bevel gears if that makes sense