Thread: Pinion Gear

RC Enthusiast

Pinion Gear

I just replaced my Velineon system with a CC 3800kv setup. I ordered a 14t pinion (Traxxas #5640). It doesn't seem like the pinion is meshing properly with the spur. I'm getting a major grinding noise. With the the motor removed, everything is smooth. With the motor in and the pinion gear not tightened to the motor shaft, I get the grinding noise.

Is this the right pinion? It a 14t 32p with a 5mm bore.

RC Qualifier
    Thats right as long as your motor shaft is 5mm shaft. I thought most of the 3800s were 1/8.

Sent from my phone.

RC Enthusiast
    It's definitely 5mm. Any ideas what else it could be?

RC Qualifier
    That pinion should fit as long as you are running the stock spur gear. Just be sure your driveline bearings are OK, and you mesh it properly.
    One other thing. Sometimes the grub screw on a pinion can touch the spur gear, so make sure the spur gear/slipper assy doesen't have to much play in the forward/aft direction. In addition, I have seen the flat part of some motor shafts being too sort so that the pinion can't slide enough onto the shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    So I pulled all the drive train apart. I found the center axle belled, bent, and worn. Ran down to the LHS. They had a Slash axle, so I just bought it and cut it to size. Both rear and front drives are smooth as can be. Put everything back together, still noisy when motor is in.

Center Axle

Drive with Motor not Engaged

Drive with Motor Engaged

Is it just the 4 pole motor? The original motor didn't sound like this.
    Last edited by njsunken; 09-07-2013 at 12:17 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That doesn't sound good. What does the motor sound like when not engaged with the spur? Sounds like some gear grinding though.

RC Enthusiast
    Motor sounds fine. It's a little tough to turn, but I believe that's just being a 4 pole motor?

The 3800 gives quite some resistance when you turn it by hand, so that is normal.
    Is your motor plate lined up the right way? I once used the wrong screws myself and ended up with a wrong mesh that way.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    The 3800 gives quite some resistance when you turn it by hand, so that is normal.
    Is your motor plate lined up the right way? I once used the wrong screws myself and ended up with a wrong mesh that way.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4
    What do you mean by "the motor plate lined up the right way"? I believe I have it right. I have the side with the screw hole chambers away from the motor. Used pan head stainless screws to mount motor.

My tenshock sounds a bit like yours and its all set up sweet and do you use the paper mesh trick???........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Racer
    I have castle 2200kv and my sounds similiar like that but have been running like that for months.

RC Enthusiast
    I did mesh properly. So from some of the feedback......I decided to roll with it. Ran through one battery.....nice improvement over the stock system and kept my temp at 160 degrees. So I let it cool down to ambient and ran another battery. 15 minutes later, I see a wheel just take off. Totally wore through my 2 week old wheel. Checked temperatures of carriers. The left carrier that lost the wheel was 110 degrees. Other was 85 degrees. It seems every 3rd run, I'm breaking something.

RC Qualifier
    I had the same thing happen to me a few times. I wish one of these companies would make a 2.8 size wheel with 17mm hex! Got tired of stripped wheels and upgraded to 17mm hubs, but no good choices in wheels/tires.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

I use rubber epoxy on the traxxas aluminium hexes and the aluminium serrated lock nuts part number 1747r being going strong for ages with the torque of the tenshock plus keep wheel nuts tight and use a bit of blue threadlock........peace

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I use rubber epoxy on the traxxas aluminium hexes and the aluminium serrated lock nuts part number 1747r being going strong for ages with the torque of the tenshock plus keep wheel nuts tight and use a bit of blue threadlock........peace
    The problem is....those are MIP axles. So I bit the bullet and just order 17mm wheels and another set of tires. It seems I can't find any supplier with 17mm MIP adapters in stock. So I put an back order in with one supplier.

I was able to remove the tire and throw it on a new rim.....but it's only going to happen again.
    Last edited by njsunken; 09-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I'm having the same problem with a stock VXL system. The rims are made of plastic that is just to soft.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by njsunken View Post
    The problem is....those are MIP axles. So I bit the bullet and just order 17mm wheels and another set of tires. It seems I can't find any supplier with 17mm MIP adapters in stock. So I put an back order in with one supplier.

I was able to remove the tire and throw it on a new rim.....but it's only going to happen again.
    Just curious, what wheels did you order in 17mm? I want to try the revolvers, but don't want to do so much modifying to get it to work.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by briandee View Post
    Just curious, what wheels did you order in 17mm? I want to try the revolvers, but don't want to do so much modifying to get it to work.
    I did go with the RPM Stablemaxx Revolvers. It doesn't seem to be to much work. I'm going to just trim the tires and not mess with the wheels. I'll update how bad it is.

RC Enthusiast
    Just a little update........

I tried just trimming the tires and not trimming the Revolvers. I didn't like how the bead sat at all. So I trimmed of the outer lip on the wheels. Very time consuming. Fastest way I found was to get the bulk with a Rotozip with drum wheel and then smooth out with a Dremel with drum wheel.

And trying to get the inner foam lined up and even......is alot of playing.

This is one of the wheels done.

Now....just waiting on MIP 17mm adapters. They were back ordered.

Dude sweet job you have done man..........peace

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the update. Wish you well with the new wheel set up. I may try the same.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

RC Enthusiast
    So I finally got the conversion done. I like the stance of the new wheels. It added a little to the width of the truck. The only issue I had was the MIP adapters. The nut is very shallow. And with the revolvers having the fake lugs so close to the nut......you can get a socket on the nut. So I bought a cheap 17mm socket and grinded off the bevel and narrowed it up abit.

RC Champion
    Are the MIP axles "pin" or "d" style for the hex?

Also the 3800 motor is 4-pole and does chatter when rolling without battery power on
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by akesj1 View Post
    Are the MIP axles "pin" or "d" style for the hex?

Also the 3800 motor is 4-pole and does chatter when rolling without battery power on

Both the front and rear are "d" type.

And yes the motor chatters very bad. Thought there was something wrong with drive train. But all seems fine.

So my first battery on the conversion.....30 minutes in, I lose a wheel. Hex nut missing. Spent 30 minutes looking. Looks like you can't buy them separately. So my money pit continues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Hi dude your truck looks sick man but next time use a good dab of blue thread lock and it should say all together.......peace

RC Qualifier
    nice ride dude! great job. big fan of monster jam!

RC Enthusiast
    So with the 17mm upgrade and a new set of Proline shocks, my truck is handling great. Also, no breakage.

I have the urge to step up to 3S. I'm currently running 14/54 on my 3800kv motor. Highest temp I have seen was 165F, but most of the time I'm around 150F after my pack.

I have gone through some of the gearing calculators and it seems a 11/54 gearing with 3S would be just slightly faster than my current gearing on 2S. But that is stock gearing and Castle states my combo is not recommended on stock gearing.

Anyone help me out with my decision? Do I need to go down lower with the gearing? I would like to pick up some performance, but stay at the same temps.

I would go for a 13t pinion and run 2s and 3s and check temps maybe look into the esc settings and make sure they are all good too and get a good fan setup for the motor.............peace