RC Qualifier

Had A thought, why not add....

MORE SHOCKS? I don't know if this has been done before, but I tried it. Added four more stock shocks.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Front
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Rear
    [IMG][/IMG]

I have not driven it yet. I Removed my RPM blue A-arms. I didn't want to drill any holes in them. So, back on went the stock A-arms. I have to drill one hole for the sway bar link on the left front A-arm. The Left front A-arm is actually off of a 2wd Pede, just modified to fit the front of my 4x4 Pede. I need to get the correct size drill bit. After that, I will bash it and see how it performs and holds up. Wish me luck. You may be asking, why did I do it? Well, because I can, and did.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Very interesting idea man let us know how they hold up.

RC Qualifier
    Someone did this a few months back. Lets us know how it works out.

Sent from my phone.

RC Enthusiast
    I'd say you have your MIP's installed inside out.

I would like to know how it handles dude so give us a review after a few packs..........peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex!
    May want to pick up some of the softest springs you can find, and some 20 wt shock oil to go with them. The old maxx springs(red ones) were much softer than my 2wd pede xl5 springs. So even know the maxx weighed almost double, each of the 8 individual springs was softer than a pede spring because there were twice as many. Find the softest losi xxx 2.5"(for rear) and 2" (for front) springs available. With 8 stock springs, and stock weight oil, its gonna be way too stiff.

It may be the pics, but looks like the shocks are not aligned perfectly. If those shocks dont compress in the exact line that the suspension arm swings, they could bind or bend a shaft. You may need to space the added shocks up top to get them just right, or the pic or my eyes could be fooling me.

I really like the mini maxx look! I see no reason why this could not be made to work, just getting the setup correct may be difficult as finding springs that are soft enough may be difficult.

Hope you get it sorted out 8)
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

Cool idea and worked out in a nice way.
    I doubt if the shocks should be aligned equally. As long as they can turn at the both ends where they are attached, I don't think the bending risk is that high.

I'm curious about the results of the test drive.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4
    Nobody is born with experience.

The shocks moving out of line with the suspension arm movement is one of the biggest causes of bent shock shafts(example is a 2wd shock tower that bends heavily in a big 1 wheel landing will miss-align the shock and cause a shaft to bend. They should def be in line, or the shock will bind and want to bend in the middle as the angle gets worse as the shock is compressed. If the top shock mounts were mounted sideways like a trailing arm shock, or there was a modded ball setup to let the top of the shock pivot in that direction, then there will be no binding. The stock shoulder screws will not let the shock move that way...
    Last edited by rag6; 09-07-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Old harrumph here. I've always believed that adding unnecessary parts rather than swapping for better parts is a mistake. One correctly-sized aluminum 1:8 buggy/truggy shock would give much better performance than any two plastic Ultra shocks.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The shocks moving out of line with the suspension arm movement is one of the biggest causes of bent shock shafts(example is a 2wd shock tower that bends heavily in a big 1 wheel landing will miss-align the shock and cause a shaft to bend. They should def be in line, or the shock will bind and want to bend in the middle as the angle gets worse as the shock is compressed. If the top shock mounts were mounted sideways like a trailing arm shock, or there was a modded ball setup to let the top of the shock pivot in that direction, then there will be no binding. The stock shoulder screws will not let the shock move that way...
    You are right. I didn't realize the misalignment would make the shocks try to move in a way the shoulder screws don't allow.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 4
    Nobody is born with experience.

But could be bypassed with long bolts and spacers so they sit right .........peace

RC Qualifier
    I did not consider the issue of misalignment. The rear shocks are spot on. The front is not. Making them fit and not interfere with the steering links was more of an issue. But, moving the arms up and down, there is no binding. Stiff it is. I drove it today. It actually takes the bumps better and with more control. Yes, it needs lighter springs and oil. what I've seen so far. it works. I did not have any money to spend on this project. I plan to, in the future, to add the Proline Protrax Suspension, A Slash chassis and larger tires and wheels. So, in my opinion, this set up will benefit more once the other mods are done. You could call this " research and development". Either way, it was fun to build. I had all the parts. No money spent. A bast to drive. So all A+'s in my book.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Yes, they are, But until I have another reason to take them apart. I decided to leave them along. I just clean and lube them often, as you should be anyway.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Quote Originally Posted by ramflames View Post
    So all A+'s in my book.
    It was already all A+'s when you decided to do something to make it your own.

Whether or not it is anybody else's cup of tea, nobody can take away the fact that you did this.

:thumbsup:
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    It was already all A+'s when you decided to do something to make it your own.

Whether or not it is anybody else's cup of tea, nobody can take away the fact that you did this.

:thumbsup:
    Thank You!
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, they are, But until I have another reason to take them apart. I decided to leave them along. I just clean and lube them often, as you should be anyway.
    If it works well then it's fine by me. Have fun and enjoy your E-MaxxPede!

Been thinking, could be a good way to support those big 1/8 scale power systems and monster 4s packs 8)

The issue with binding shocks wont appear until you land awkward very hard and the shock tower flexes. You wont notice any binding by just pushing the arm up with your fingers. Its gonna take big forces to cause a problem. It may not ever be a problem, but if you bend a shock shaft on the misaligned shock, you will know why.

RC Qualifier
    Well, as I said. Wanted to see if it works. I do want to add the Protrac kit, slash chassis and 3.2 rims and tires. I didn't use my RPM arms because, if it didn't work, I didn't ruin my RPM arms. Plus I didn't spend any money to do it, so nothing lost. Plus, it looks pretty darn cool. I cannot lie. For me, it has to look as good as it performers. I love the mechanical aspect of R/Cing as much as the driving aspect. Being able to modify my vehicle is part of the fun. I fix full size vehicle for a living. It's in my blood to improve there ability. So hate it or love it. It was a fun project for me and there is room to improve and play around with it.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Cool idea, I like it. It might not do much, but it sure looks cool!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to see where this goes! Does everything have adequate clearance? Seems like the steering turnbuckles would cause a little interference. The shock towers should be a little more protected from off-angle forces now. I wish you luck!! Good job making it your own. That's the best part of this hobby!

Not a fan.

Having to deal with two batteries and 8 shocks is why my E-Maxx remains in roller status.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I think I like it more every time I come to this thread. This would be well suited for a slash 4x4 mt with heavy electronics. Easier to find a range of spring rates for a heavier truck. Can you post pics of any clearance issues with the steering links? I know there are offset link ends that could move the steering link away from the shock:

Last edited by rag6; 09-10-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Will be looking forward to your monster slash dude keep us posted...........peace

RC Qualifier
    The front shocks touch the steering links, but the steering turns full left and right with no binding at any suspension position. I will post some pics soon. As far as the Monster Slash Plan. It's going to be awhile before it happens. I have no budget at this time. So, unless I can sell something, it will have to wait until I win the Lottery. It's a pipe dream for now.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Here is more pics...
    Front..
    [IMG][/IMG]

Had to notch out the front A-arm.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The rear..
    [IMG][/IMG]

I knew something was right with the truck. Had less power going to the front wheels. I found that the collar that is attached to the front of the slipper clutch shaft was not tight and moving around. I also found a chunk of one slipped clutch pads was broken off. Lucky for me, I have a spare. To dark out and too many mosquitoes outside to drive it tonight. i will have to wait until tomorrow to see if the problem is fixed.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by ramflames; 09-10-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

An offset ball end like I posted above may solve the tight clearance issue...

Dude when you can upgrade to the revo spec slipper it can take more of a bashing..........peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Dude when you can upgrade to the revo spec slipper it can take more of a bashing..........peace
    Will Do Spenniepoos!!!
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Ran it again last night. still no issues with the double shock set it. Runs get!!!
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I have seen this before, about them being backwards. But, if you look at how the stock axles come on a Stampede new out of the box. Traxxas has them the same way. Besides. the two axles halves are a tight fit. How much dirt can actually get in there? Mine have not been filled with any. Despite driving though mud, sand and water. Check my other treads for picture proof.

On another note. If we can't curse, "which is totally understandable and I agree with it" then why do we have this Face?

LOL, again, Just wondering!!!!
    Last edited by ramflames; 09-15-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Ran it again last night. still no issues with the double shock set it. Runs get!!!
    Dude I am stoked that it works bro.........peace

On another note. If we can't curse, "which is totally understandable and I agree with it" then why do we have this Face?

LOL, again, Just wondering!!!!
    Ha ha never thought of that.
    Congrats on having the double shock setup working! I'm tempted to see what double shocks would look like on my Slash!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Ha ha never thought of that.
    Congrats on having the double shock setup working! I'm tempted to see what double shocks would look like on my Slash!
    If you can build it, Do it!
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

Hmmm, this got me thinking. For example, people racing Slash's in stock spec classes... I wonder if you used double shocks if that would count as not stock? Technically it's all stock parts...

I guess that emoticon is there so we dont have to curse... Glad it is working out!

RC Qualifier
    Just Bash it!
    4x4 Pede
    Two 2wd Pede

RC Qualifier
    yup, thats it. you'll be pleased!
    The message above or below may or may not be true