Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Oil suggestions

  1. #1
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    578

    Oil suggestions

    Just picked up some big bores from the lhs n was wondering what oil I should put in the backs. Mainly bash but do hit big jumps often.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Vancouver B.C.
    Posts
    556
    Stock is 30w. So I would say start off with a 40w. And go from there. I currently run a 60w rear 50w front with 3 hole piston up front and 2 in the rear, with a very stiff spring. A good set of springs is equally if not more important than the weight of oil you use. I bash pretty hard and I like it pretty stiff. But its all about finding what works best for you, and the type of driving you do.. If its too stiff the truck will bounce around everywhere, making it harder to control, and if its too loose the truck will bottom out everywhere so it's about finding that happy medium..

    Happy bashing

  3. #3
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,330
    I would try 60wt or 80wt, but it's up to you.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    3,222
    I like starting with 40-45wt and adjusting as needed.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    Just picked up some big bores from the lhs n was wondering what oil I should put in the backs. Mainly bash but do hit big jumps often.
    Didn't they come with 30 weight in the sealed package?
    Just as others have said its really up to you.
    For me 35 rear and 30 front is the magic weight, tho I tried thicker oil my truck landed to hard for my liking but the track is the only place I run.
    I would take the advice Greatscott gave you and try a few weights and stay with what works best for you.
    Your aware of how stock 30 weight responds, go thicker if more damping is desired.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    578
    in stock i ran 45 rear 30 front - just was wondering if the big bores respond the same or differently than stock


    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Didn't they come with 30 weight in the sealed package?
    Just as others have said its really up to you.
    For me 35 rear and 30 front is the magic weight, tho I tried thicker oil my truck landed to hard for my liking but the track is the only place I run.
    I would take the advice Greatscott gave you and try a few weights and stay with what works best for you.
    Your aware of how stock 30 weight responds, go thicker if more damping is desired.
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. billy-bones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    in stock i ran 45 rear 30 front - just was wondering if the big bores respond the same or differently than stock
    The big bores are aluminum clones of the stock shocks, with hardened and coated shafts.
    Some folks say they slide a bit easier but I always changed the shafts on my stock shocks as well.
    I bought a set of big bores not long ago and run them on my stock chassis slash, their nice shocks.
    After running nothing but power strokes on everything, I didn't mind the way they performed at all.
    I used the 30 weight they came with but soon changed the rears to 35.
    If you go to think oil or heavy when racing it slows the rebound and causes handling issues, but for basing I suppose thicker oil maybe in order.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    The big bores are aluminum clones of the stock shocks, with hardened and coated shafts.
    Some folks say they slide a bit easier but I always changed the shafts on my stock shocks as well.
    I bought a set of big bores not long ago and run them on my stock chassis slash, their nice shocks.
    After running nothing but power strokes on everything, I didn't mind the way they performed at all.
    I used the 30 weight they came with but soon changed the rears to 35.
    If you go to think oil or heavy when racing it slows the rebound and causes handling issues, but for basing I suppose thicker oil maybe in order.
    So based on that I'm will just go ahead and throw the 45 in them before I put em on then thanks for the info Billy-bones
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •